Predictions for E3 2014

• Thread starter Deleted member 86764
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm more thinking that general negativity is already pretty high and that's having an adverse effect on their sales. Best not upset more gamers, which they've already done a pretty good job of the past year.

So, don't secure exclusives to attract 100+ million gamers to your product, because you'll create ill will with the 8 million that have bought the competitors product?

Sometimes I find this forum hilarious. "MS needs exclusives or they're doomed", "Oh, but they can only be first party or they're doomed". The mind just boggles.

Some things border on the ridiculous. Next up---your gaming system should have no games just in case they suck and you piss off the fanbase.

As I said in the quoted post above, best not increase general negativity around their product. That negativity may start with Playstation owners but could well spread further.

If you think I'm wrong, then please feel free to correct me. I'm quite reasionable, if you can make a statement that suggests it'd have a positive affect on people's views of the system I'd be happy to concede.

As I said in the quoted post above, best not increase general negativity around their product. That negativity may start with Playstation owners but could well spread further.

If you think I'm wrong, then please feel free to correct me. I'm quite reasionable, if you can make a statement that suggests it'd have a positive affect on people's views of the system I'd be happy to concede.

OK, I'll bite.

The very reason you have multiple systems is to play games that aren't available on a single one. It's why I've bought a X360 and PS3; an Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast; a SEGA Saturn, N64 and PS1; Genesis and SNES, etc, etc.

If I could every game on one system that I wanted, I could've saved some mega bucks. I never once blamed a competing system for sucking up an exclusive--if anything it made the system with an exclusive that much more desirable. Check out the Sunset Overdrive thread for an example.

That was my first reaction as well.

I guess what he means is that microsoft blocking a 3rd party from launching in PS4 will generate contempt towards the microsoft's brand and console, mainly if it's an IP that everyone is expecting to get in their consoles either it's a ps4 or xbone (i.e. GTA, Star Wars games, EA Sports stuff, CoD/BF, etc.)

OTOH, had they invested in a new 1st party then ps4 users would generally be more receptive to the fact that the game won't be coming to their console of choice.

For ps4 owners, it's the difference between leaving them wanting a xbone because it has better games or hating microsoft as a corporation because they gave money to publishers to stop a certain game from releasing in the ps4.
It's... different.

Some things border on the ridiculous. Next up---your gaming system should have no games just in case they suck and you piss off the fanbase.
Nintendo's current strategy, apparently! ;)

For ps4 owners, it's the difference between leaving them wanting a xbone because it has better games or hating microsoft as a corporation because they gave money to publishers to stop a certain game from releasing in the ps4.
It's... different.

If you are that incensed by it you're probably a lost cause in the first place.

That was my first reaction as well.

I guess what he means is that microsoft blocking a 3rd party from launching in PS4 will generate contempt towards the microsoft's brand and console, mainly if it's an IP that everyone is expecting to get in their consoles either it's a ps4 or xbone (i.e. GTA, Star Wars games, EA Sports stuff, CoD/BF, etc.)

OTOH, had they invested in a new 1st party then ps4 users would generally be more receptive to the fact that the game won't be coming to their console of choice.

It's... different.

Yes, thank you. I'm writing on my phone while preparing my son's bath so probably not being coherent.

Nintendo's current strategy, apparently! ;)

And look how that's working out.
Sucks too because I used to love me some Nintendo--haven't picked them up since the Gamecube---

True story---I was lucky enough to walk-in and pick up a Wii during its first week of launch at Best Buy when it was still very scarce. Spent about $550 for all the games and accessories, but never opened them.

After about 3 days, I was having second thoughts and decided to return it. While in line at the Best Buy return line, I had a little bidding war between 3 parents that couldn't believe I was going to return it unopened with nothing wrong with it. Ended up selling the whole package for a tidy profit---not quite doubling up.

I'm looking for Microsoft to give me a reason to buy an Xbox One, buying COD exclusivity would only upset me. Sunset Overdrive, I don't care, that seems like fair practice.

I can see some potential psychological blowback if a property that has been building expectations or marketing based on being multiplatform, or has a history of being multiplatform, was moneyhatted into exclusivity. I think there was at least some disappointment about Titanfall's switch to a MS exclusive after being discussed as a timed exclusive at most, but that may have been minor in the since it was a new IP.

For established IPs, I can only think of exclusives going multiplatform at the moment. Since that generally produced at least some additional positivity, wouldn't the reverse be at least a little bad?

And as Scott and others has already pointed out the market is far bigger than the current PS4 users. We have another 4-10 years of console sales to go yet. Upsetting the relatively few PS4 owners that would get so incensed by such a thing is not really a business consideration when you're looking at the total addressable market.

I can see some potential psychological blowback if a property that has been building expectations or marketing based on being multiplatform, or has a history of being multiplatform, was moneyhatted into exclusivity. I think there was at least some disappointment about Titanfall's switch to a MS exclusive after being discussed as a timed exclusive at most, but that may have been minor in the since it was a new IP.
Such a risk for existing IP's it likely to be bigger on the developer/publisher side than it is the platform holder.

I didn't say I agree with his POV, I was just trying to explain it better.
FWIW, I think it's way too early in the game to worry about the other side's fanbase. Most people who will buy a new-gen console has yet to get one and ps4's 7 million userbase isn't that big yet.

Regardless, we're not emotionless machines whose thoughts are entirely based on arithmetical logic.
If ps4 user John Doe has been enjoying GTA games for the last 10 years and microsoft bathes Rockstar in money to block GTA VI from the ps4, John Doe is likely to feel contempt towards microsoft. And John Doe isn't a "lost cause", he's just human.

What John ends up doing with such contempt (from feeling angry during breakfast to going to forums to troll xbone users) depends on his own priorities/occupancy/preferences/life/whatever.

OK, I'll bite.

The very reason you have multiple systems is to play games that aren't available on a single one. It's why I've bought a X360 and PS3; an Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast; a SEGA Saturn, N64 and PS1; Genesis and SNES, etc, etc.

If I could every game on one system that I wanted, I could've saved some mega bucks. I never once blamed a competing system for sucking up an exclusive--if anything it made the system with an exclusive that much more desirable. Check out the Sunset Overdrive thread for an example.

Agreed! My gaming habit goes back that far and further too. I've always had multiple systems, exclusives are part of the game. I'm referring to games that were multi platform being bought out. That just reeks of unfair play. I bought a PS4 thinking I'd be able to play the best COD experience there is (not including PC), so yes, I'd find it very annoying if I weren't able to play it with that prior expectation.

I'm not annoyed that I can't play Halo or Mario on Playstation. I'd buy an Xbox or a Nintendo for that.

Agreed! My gaming habit goes back that far and further too. I've always had multiple systems, exclusives are part of the game. I'm referring to games that were multi platform being bought out. That just reeks of unfair play. I bought a PS4 thinking I'd be able to play the best COD experience there is (not including PC), so yes, I'd find it very annoying if I weren't able to play it with that prior expectation.

I'm not annoyed that I can't play Halo or Mario on Playstation. I'd buy an Xbox or a Nintendo for that.

Yeah, but that includes multiplats as well. I remember the only way to get EA games (Madden, NBA Live, etc) were to go PS because they weren't supporting SEGA.

I do remember being a little sore at Sony buying multplat exclusives (Ridge Racer, Tsohinden, FF7, Resident Evil, etc) although it never stopped me from buying a PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back