Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL charlie.

So he discarded everything in his last article already?

Microsoft nor anybody else will never launch a console in September anyway. Here, I'll give charlie a hint, November 2013.

Dont be too hard on him, after all he did left 0.1% chance for x86 arhitecture. :D

So, time for a little speculation. Oban is being made by IBM primarily, so that almost definitively puts to bed the idea of an x86 CPU that has been floating. We said we were 99+% sure that the XBox Next/720 is a Power PC CPU plus an ATI GCN/HD7000/Southern Islands GPU, and with this last data point, we are now confident that it is 99.9+%. Why? Several licensing agreements that cover what can be made where will enrich a fleet of lawyers if Oban is x86, but do not preclude the possibility entirely, hence the last .1%.
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/18/xbox-nextxbox-720-chips-in-production/

Microsoft nor anybody else will never launch a console in September anyway. Here, I'll give charlie a hint, November 2013.

Why not what's so magical about November?

The 360 launched in October. Almost all of the other MS products launch in October. If you have the supply to meet demand, launch as soon as you can and maximize sales for the year. They're going to sell out their initial shipments no matter what.

No matter when they launch, everything will be sold out for the first few months. But they need to hit the market before holidays.

Any news about Orbis? Still only one AMD SoC without dedicated GPU?

The 360 launched in October. Almost all of the other MS products launch in October. If you have the supply to meet demand, launch as soon as you can and maximize sales for the year. They're going to sell out their initial shipments no matter what.
360 launched in Nov 16 2005

360 launched in Nov 16 2005

oops, you're right. I think if they can get the stock ready earlier, they'll launch earlier. No reason not too. I think all the previous launches were late November due to limited ability to get stock to sufficient quantities for a world wide launch (mainly due to the bleeding edge tech), I don't think that will be a case this time.

oops, you're right. I think if they can get the stock ready earlier, they'll launch earlier. No reason not too. I think all the previous launches were late November due to limited ability to get stock to sufficient quantities for a world wide launch (mainly due to the bleeding edge tech), I don't think that will be a case this time.
Maybe October or early November will be better,like Kinect launched in Nov 4

This means both the XBox Next and the PS4 are going to effectively be HSA/FSA devices.

Every reason MS & Sony should finally come to terms on one standard hardware platform specification. This would be the best thing that could happen for the next-gen.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/04/wii-u-amazon-distributor-claims-nov-11-release-249-price-tag/

Wii U wholesale price $249 at on distributor? Could be 279.99 MSRP if true

I have consistently maintained that price point with conviction because it was very simple to rationalize from a marketing perspective. In fact, if this was a multiple choice question on a marketing exam it would be one of the early give away questions.

Low yields mean low performance? sorry, english is not my main language :oops:
No, that means that there is low amount of working chips that were produced.

What SemiAccurate said is so low that I have to wonder what kind of chip are they? Complexity could be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have consistently maintained that price point with conviction because it was very simple to rationalize from a marketing perspective. In fact, if this was a multiple choice question on a marketing exam it would be one of the early give away questions.

I dont think Nintendo has told the price to anybody before announcement. There is just no need to do that. Also i dont believe in multiple SKUs. $299 with or without Nintendo land is likely the only SKU. $249 with weak dollar/yen would push their profitability which Iwata said he would correct

November is considered the latest you can release in the US to catch the bulk of the XMas shopping.
Specifically you need to be in stores by Thanksgiving.
Earlier is better, but with a console you'll want to give devs internal and external as much time as possible to get product done.

No, that means that there is low amount of working chips that were produced.

What SemiAccurate said is so low that I have to wonder what kind of chip are they? Complexity could be an issue.

Thanks... Could it mean some "new" production process? something like 3D stacking?

Lot of transistors? Can we expect a decent CPU/GPU?

All the proposals I've seen speculated on here for both PS4/Xbox whatever, if they were done as single chip combined GPU/CPU would be very large, much bigger than any existing SOC.

Lot of transistors? Can we expect a decent CPU/GPU?

That would be my guess. Too many defects, but that would indicate a huge chip. For comparison, Tahiti is ~350mm and it doesn't seem to have awfully low yields. There's plenty of stock everywhere and prices are dropping consistently. Charlie mentioned Fermi. The first Fermi chip that supposedly had horrific yields was over 500mm, that enormous.

Could the next xbox have a single chip much bigger than 300mm? None of the rumors so far have indicated that so far and it just seems so improbable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back