Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I'm pretty sure they wanted to launch in March. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray specifications took longer to finalize than they thought. The first Blu-ray player launched in June. Blue-laser production was _extremely_ limited throughout 2006.

Oh well I got a different impression by comments I've heard. They weren't ready for a March launch in more ways than just the blu-ray diodes IIRC.

Oh well I got a different impression by comments I've heard. They weren't ready for a March launch in more ways than just the blu-ray diodes IIRC.

Well, the software wasn't ready either. What games could they possibly have launched with in may 2006?

Just what kind of internet connection you have?
Middle-of-the-road ADSL2+, 12-15Mbit-ish.

My internet download is faster than my optical drive
Then you're seriously, SERIOUSLY above the norm, even for industrialized western countries.

and by the second half of nextgen, this is how it will be for the majority of city-dwellers.
No way. I see no great shift here. While you could accomplish what you claim very quickly simply by building 4G networks that covered an entire city, once you actually have hundreds of thousands of people using those wireless connections, performance would plummet through the center of the Earth...

Building truly fast broadband connections throughout entire nations (IE, fiberoptic links) will take at least a decade. Probably more, as there's no great incentive to do it right now. Most people can get along with piddly DSL tech and don't really demand any more than that. Nor are many ISPs neccessarily interested in offering more either, as that'd mean investing heavily into infrastructure that would not immediately pay off in increased revenue, if ever. All you'd accomplish is enable your customers to consume more bandwidth, wich isn't neccessarily advantageous for a for-profit venture.

A pure on-demand machine with not even any flash and 8GB of ram should be able to fill it's ram in a little more than a minute with a Gbit connection.
Ahaha... Ok, and while we're dreaming let's make that gigabit connection cost no more than $10 a month too so that most people can afford it, and cover the entire world...

I'd like that, but if I see it in my lifetime I think I'll be very fortunate.

That's probably a discussion in itself. At the beginning of PS3, there was PR talk of a close partnership and future product collaborations. Didn't even get an nVidia GPU in PSP's successor, let alone a Cell with nVidia-designed rasterising units or something.

AMD has had a clear lead in performance per watt for years and during that time power consumption of GPUs have creeped up to the point where you can't go any further given the console constrains. This means imo that up until very recently nVidia simply wasn't and couldn't even been a serious option for them. Sony probably have made their decisions considering PS4 before Kepler arrived in to the picture.

Just to go back to optical vs DSL. A 100 megabit line which are still as rare as rocking horse shit even in the developed world can only deliver 12 megabytes per second , a modern 12x bluray drive can transfer 54 megabytes per second.

You would need a 500 megabit line to beat that.

If most people have that in the next five years i'll eat my hat, jacket and router:)

I wonder why Sony left Nvidia, Nvidia indeed troublesome to work with? Or just AMD offered a better deal? But why go searching for a better deal in the first place if you were happy with Nvidia...

Nvidia has a reputation of being a bad partner. Thermal failure debacle, original xbox, etc. There have been rumors of issues between sony and nvidia for years.

All this talk about bkilian...

bkilian hasn't been hinting at anything, bkilian is just enjoying arguing and muddying the waters. I'm South African, we love arguing, and will often take an opposing viewpoint just to see where it goes :)

They say this cat bkillian is a bad mother
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I'm talkin' 'bout bkillian.
THEN WE CAN DIG IT!

Ps- I cannot believe you would argue against a killer 2.5TFLOPs+ Compute GPU and a break out controller. Do it for the CORE bkilian, the CORE I tell you :p

It says 8x as the hardware target, but only 4x-6x for triple A games, suggesting the reports that significant resources would be reserved for background media tasks is correct.

It says 8x as the hardware target, but only 4x-6x for triple A games, suggesting the reports that significant resources would be reserved for background media tasks is correct.
8x in power =/= 8x in visuals I think.

8x more theoretical power and profitable doesn't sound bad actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diagram seems pretty messy:

s20RI.png

And it seems that by 2015 they want to transition into cloud gaming:
"Access to the latest and greatest experiences without upgrading hardware"
"Never wait for your hardware to catch up"
"Never need to upgrade again"

Interesting as those Kinect pics one page 15 and those PPTs on the architecture on about page 9 are all stuff that leaks MONTHS ago.

Up to page 9 they continue to talk about 4-6x and then page 9 ~ 8x but in a total system power of 120W--with a lot of emphasis on Kinect 2 and the general MEDIA platform.

It is kind of "funny" to see how this gen has grown very long in tooth, historically, with plummeting sales while we still see expensive consoles running around and no announcement of a generational leap in hardware and the Xbox 720 reminds me every bit of much as the PS3: investing a ton of money and resources into the "Corporate" agenda and very little in terms of pushing anything related to core gaming in those slides. Kinect is cool for Your Shape, Fruit Ninja, etc but the void of games and "game games" and this absolute aversion to mixing a real controller in with Kinect is just APPALLING as a core gamer. I remember reading the DICE material concerning the issues with motion controls and they threw their arms up with Kinect. A higher resolution camera does squat. Investing all of those resources and pretty much having a take it or leave it approach to core gamers is a pretty good way to not get early adopter support. What these slides scream out to me is more service fees, more advertising, more paid for services, DLC, and general nickle and diming on a DRM rich platform which is really a dispensary for controlled content.

I guess no one got the memo, but some of us want a gaming console that focuses on gaming and does it very well. I really don't like my XBL fees subsidizing features I have no intent to use and I really don't want to invest money in a product that has expensive components not aimed at my use. It is the same issue I had with the PS3 to a lesser degree and the idea of being a jack of all trades master of none when you just really want a "sharp" gaming tool is not a sales pitch I find interesting at all. More money into Kinect without figuring out how it is BETTER than a gamepad for FPS and Madden and Racing games is just a head scratcher for a core gaming perspective.

Then again I think the goal is more of the same: the core will be there for Halo 5 and Forza 5 and the aim is to snatch up all the Wii gamers with Kinect 2 / fitness / family friendly gaming.

Ok, whining aside:

28-7b3ed7d470.jpg
And of course:

46-ddc069d9ba.jpg

And a mention of 2014 heads up and hands free display. The note about Glasses free and Cloud free gaming in 2013 and later patched in makes me think 2014 will see some sort of glasses.

Seeing that graph and reading about Kinect V2 it seems like there will be "hefty" amount of power dedicated for that thing and multimedia. Than again this was made in 2011 at latest so who knows how will things pan out. 8x360 wouldn't be bad, but 4-6x would. Huh...Dunno what to think...

And it seems that by 2015 they want to transition into cloud gaming:
"Access to the latest and greatest experiences without upgrading hardware"
"Never wait for your hardware to catch up"
"Never need to upgrade again"

Yeah, this coming generation being the last hardware generation has been pretty foreseeable.

They're targeting 120w and a $299 price point with HD Kinect packed in. It's an always on device designed to act as a DVR/media server for your entire house.

Given this outline it's not hard to see Sony double down on hardcore gaming with a significantly more powerful machine, but there's always the possibility this was created before the third parties freaked out about it being underpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back