Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was released MONTHS ago that AMD is doing the GPU and not Nvidia.

Press release ?

I thought it was still undecided, but I didn't follow that closely as I usually just wait for the official specifications to come around.

fairly impossible indeed 0_0
modern and emerging rendering tech have made some progress in the tbr?

TBDS/R helps with shading/rendering efficiency. Unless they go with a TBDR hardware design (e.g. Vita, iPad2), there's not much they can do to avoid paying the cost of storing multiple samples per pixel.

Press release ?

Pretty sure it was only a rumour coming out of E3.

It seems very unlikely that there will be multiple GPUs in a gaming console.

I agree in a perfect world they would have one huge GCN. But in the search for maximum performance with the smallest die possible while getting sufficient yields in the smallest node process possible at the earliest launch frame possible ... that opens the window for multiple GPU's.

What is the ARM core for?

The arm core would be for quite a few non-gaming applications.

It's only 13m trans so a relatively insignificant part of the budget to allow the following with low power:
-background downloading
-dashboard (internet?) browsing
-dashboard social aspects
-media playback
-wake-up on kinect wave or audible que
-crossplat between winphone and xb720
-improved piracy protection

Doesn't Microsoft have to pay if they use ARM? Seems like it wouldn't be worth it, although I dunno maybe the licensing fee is negligibly small.

Having a low power cpu for simple tasks doesn't really seem to be worth it, when the higher power CPU is required for the primary functions. It's just an additional cost and complexity that really isn't necessary. Lower power (for certain functions) would be nice, but it really doesn't put any money in MS's pocket.

...but it really doesn't put any money in MS's pocket.

Creating a seamless ecosystem for win8, win8 phones, and xb720 does.

It encourages the use and adoption of these devices if apps etc are cross compatible.

Again, it's only a 13m trans chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Creating a seamless ecosystem for win8, win8 phones, and xb720 does.

It encourages the use and adoption of these devices if apps etc are cross compatible.

Are they going to convince everyone to put an ARM cpu in their PC? No. So they are still going to need software to make that happen, fortunately for them they are a software company.

And PC....

in fact you can download the beta for PC right now.

Granted,
But for the rest of the market that ms is trying to grow into (phones and tablets) if they can cheaply encourage the adoption of this ecosystem, then it will indeed make them money.

Also, with having the os running on arm, they can take advantage of this fact for fighting piracy.

Again, another money making angle.

And if the console is whisper quiet while operating many of the features, then it may encourage more consumers to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't see that being worth the effort when it can all be accomplished in software. They need to be able to run win 8 without an ARM processor in any event.

Granted,
But for the rest of the market that ms is trying to grow into (phones and tablets) if they can cheaply encourage the adoption of this ecosystem, then it will indeed make them money.

Also, with having the os running on arm, they can take advantage of this fact for fighting piracy.

Again, another money making angle.

And if the console is whisper quiet while operating many of the features, then it may encourage more consumers to buy.

How is using a arm chip going to make a difference fighting piracy? That will have a whole lot more to do with the whole protection system. DS, Wii, smartphones etc. All use arm. All have piracy.

Using a arm chip wouldnt make the system that much more silent either. With all the power saving tech we got cores that don't get used get turned off and what is used gets downclocked. Assuming they use atleast a half decent fan you won't really hear the system anyway unless your sitting in a totally silent room.

I just don't see that being worth the effort when it can all be accomplished in software. They need to be able to run win 8 without an ARM processor in any event.

I'm not saying that Arm will definitely be in the console, but there are some advantages and so it is a possibility for very little cost.

How is using a arm chip going to make a difference fighting piracy? That will have a whole lot more to do with the whole protection system. DS, Wii, smartphones etc. All use arm. All have piracy.

Using a arm chip wouldnt make the system that much more silent either. With all the power saving tech we got cores that don't get used get turned off and what is used gets downclocked. Assuming they use atleast a half decent fan you won't really hear the system anyway unless your sitting in a totally silent room.

Sure they could use power gating to save power, but still not as efficient as Arm.

Wake-up on image/audio for Kinect would be much more power efficient than gating cores and would be a very nice feature.

Piracy could be more effective by having the OS controlling the system in a controlled environment on Arm. Similar to how Sony have effectively used Cell.

I can see having a dedicated ARM chip for Kinect, Audio and other low-power uses. I'd hate having to dedicate (again) one of the high-power cores for those tasks.

I can see having a dedicated ARM chip for Kinect, Audio and other low-power uses. I'd hate having to dedicate (again) one of the high-power cores for those tasks.

We saw how NV has a "different" core in their new quad design. Maybe MS may be looking at DVR and other functions and looking at the slow dash and stuff like Kinect and want some dedicated resources for these "background" tasks that are "always on" and then the primary CPU/GPU resources be available for developers. This way your DVR recording, dash, and other background stuff can run autonomously at all times without impacting gaming.

Maybe a crazy idea... but for the consoles to become more functional boxes there is the conflict between the gaming and the background media/social tasks. I am sure they could come up with a solution where there are dedicated CPU resources for such but maybe they have decided to go with dedicated hardware for it?

Btw, I am not sure any of the current rumors are really legit. But it does pose interesting questions as the new consoles approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back