PowerVR Series5

Ailuros

Epsilon plus three
Legend
Supporter
After the countless threads about R420/NV40, here's one mythos that might deserve a bit of a revivement too in terms of speculations.

I personally don't have a single doubt that SEGA can have licensed Series5 and nothing else:

SEGA, the leader in the arcade market, will use a new high-performance PowerVR graphics processor as the basis of its future arcade systems.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?ID=194

Question would be what people would more or less expect in terms of feature-set, performance, image quality etc etc. Speculate your heart out with fancy math, "pipeline" amounts (arrghhhh....), X*Y, arithmetic/texture OPs, or whatever else pops into your mind, as long as we can manage to keep this highly speculative debate civil.

Oh and Joe you can file for a divorce..... :LOL: 8)

I think the best question at this point is who is going to license S5 for use in consumer PC space. Right now, we have 4 active participants in this market: The Big Two plus XGI, S3, in addition to off-and-on players like Matrox and 3D Labs. I don't think any of these is likely to license S5, which lives is with somewhat sobering prospect of an outsider deciding to enter the ultra- competitive market with S5-based design. In addition, if the licensing deal was to be consummated right now, it might take quite some time for completed product to actually reach the market.

I hope and pray that PVR learned from their previous experience and finally decided to adopt "fabless" model in PC space as opposed to IP licensing approach.

I'd expect it to have nothing less than full Shader Mark 3.0 functionality, given the papers written by PowerVR folk. I'd hope it would have 3 times the performance of the Nvidia 6800 Ultra. And also offer nice 8x AA and 16x AF modes.

BRiT said:
I'd expect it to have nothing less than full Shader Mark 3.0 functionality, given the papers written by PowerVR folk. I'd hope it would have 3 times the performance of the Nvidia 6800 Ultra. And also offer nice 8x AA and 16x AF modes.

3 times faster across the board then NV40? I think you should keep your expectations in check and consider the PVR designs from the historical perspective. I would expect the performance without FSAA to be somewhere between High and Mid-rage of NV and ATI parts, with much less bandwidth and better price. With MSAA, I expect then rival, if not surpass the competition's high-end part.

I think you should keep your expectations in check and consider the PVR designs from the historical perspective.

That would lead him to conclude that it's a mainstream if not value oriented design after all. I just think that the historical perspective might in the given case be more than just misleading.

If I took into account historical perspectives, then ATI and Nvidia would be doomed to produce nothing but mediocre cards and drivers (ala Radeon 7000s and GeForce 5800s). I am hoping this time around PowerVR uses the same technology the other guys are using, 256bit GDR3 memory. :)

Ailuros said:
That would lead him to conclude that it's a mainstream if not value oriented design after all. I just think that the historical perspective might in the given case be more than just misleading.
Granted, but expecting 3x NV40 performance might be equally so :)

Why would they need to use 256-bit buses and GDDR3? They're a TBDR--they've got bandwidth efficiency that NV and ATI can only dream of.

The Baron said:
Why would they need to use 256-bit buses and GDDR3? They're a TBDR--they've got bandwidth efficiency that NV and ATI can only dream of.

Alright, so maybe I was dreaming that once, just once, PowerVR would take the opportunity to kick the snot out of the competition.

BRiT said:
The Baron said:

Alright, so maybe I was dreaming that once, just once, PowerVR would take the opportunity to kick the snot out of the competition.
Unless they had something like the ability to process 6 or 8 quads at once, they'd never use that much memory bandwidth. Plus, multisampling at a much reduced bandwidth cost. And I can promise you they won't have a 24x1 or 32x1 pipeline config.

Granted, but expecting 3x NV40 performance might be equally so

Definitely. In fact I don't recall even since the early days of 3D a case where competing sollutions aiming for the same market segments had such a gap between them in terms of performance, unless it was some serious flop. NV40 doesn't seem like a flop to me, au contraire.

Ailuros said:
Granted, but expecting 3x NV40 performance might be equally so

Definitely. In fact I don't recall even since the early days of 3D a case where competing sollutions aiming for the same market segments had such a gap between them in terms of performance, unless it was some serious flop. NV40 doesn't seem like a flop to me, au contraire.
*cough Volari cough* ;)

Ailuros said:
I personally don't have a single doubt that SEGA can have licensed Series5 and nothing else:

Question would be what people would more or less expect in terms of feature-set, performance, image quality etc etc.

The only question that comes to my mind is , who will actually produce this chip?
Ok, we know the ip, yes, we know who's the licensed, but i don't remember anyone talking about wich foundry will produce the silicon.
Tsmc, Nec??

I'll buy 2 of the highest-end PowerVR Series 5 boards if and when it releases.

this is around the time Dreamcast 2 was due out. would have probably used the cancelled Series 4, if not Series 5.

Series 5 should be either 8x1 or 16x1. just my uninformed guess.

even with 8x1 they'd still at least rival NV40/6800 Ultra and R420/X800 XT
in all likelihood.

PowerVR has VS/PS 3.0 and ATI does not, is a somewhat major deal too, imo. :oops:

The Baron said:
I don't think the question is if anymore... I got a Dig-like feeling.

The only question is when?. Hopefully they'll be released when they're still competative in the high-end.

BRiT said:
The Baron said:
I don't think the question is if anymore... I got a Dig-like feeling.

The only question is <i>when?</i>. Hopefully they'll be released when they're still competative in the high-end.
Late May, early June for launch, probably. Availability, I have no idea.

Back