PowerVR SGX554

IMG has actually indicated SGX544 is 4 pipelines, as opposed to the 8 pipelines in SGX554. I think Arun's confusing the two.

OK, lets see:
I had a reply but John vetoed it (boo!), pending the release of some more official material on how our technology works (yay!).

The only thing I can really say is that geometry processing does scale :LOL:

I had a reply but John vetoed it (boo!), pending the release of some more official material on how our technology works (yay!).

The only thing I can really say is that geometry processing does scale :LOL:

You forgot to attach the £50 note to the proposal ;)

So, Caustic Graphics, IMG's acquired ray tracing company, has a PC part planned.

IMG probably won't influence its release too much, but having them back in the PC market in a way through this product is funny.

Integrating new ray tracing technologies into PowerVR isn't too surprising of a development but still an exciting one nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Caustic Graphics, IMG's acquired ray tracing company, has a PC part planned.

IMG probably won't influence its release too much, but having them back in the PC market in a way through this product is funny.

Integrating new ray tracing technologies into PowerVR isn't too surprising of a development but still an exciting one nonetheless.

Hugh what? When did IMG acquire Caustic?

EDIT: Wow just saw the PR: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3f8de358-07b8-11e0-a568-00144feabdc0.html

Maybe now they can come to their senses and call it off. Now that they've been acquired I guess the AGEIA alike goal has been reached. I'm sorry but I personally don't consider their hw project as reasonable.

Any so far developed hw hasn't obviously anything to do with IMG, if it ever gets sold that is.

They didn't need to acquire Caustic for that. They most definitely can make good use of the additional engineering talent more on the software than on a hardware level. As far as I can tell Series6 specifications have been set in stone a long time ago.

http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=602

Yeah, the Caustic and IMG collaboration would relate to software long before hardware, and IMG's pedigree with META and having personnel from an Inmos background probably means they'll benefit more from the extra engineers than from help on hardware design.

Caustic's PC part is targeted at the professional markets, so I don't think they necessarily have unrealistic aspirations beyond that niche for now.

Back