Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Why do many of you think MS won't mandate FC for Scorpio? Not allowing exclusives is the same thing as mandating FC. They promised this very clearly.

Tick-tock: mandatory FC and optional FC, alternating
Rolling: mandatory FC every time
Free: optional FC every time

Which one do you want? I'm seeing people wanting Rolling or bust, others wanting Free and let devs decide on a per-title basis. I'm I seriously the only who think tick-tock is the fair compromise?
the only real reason to mandate a tick tock is if there was a huge change in hardware, which I don't see happening if there's a release cycle that's every 3-4 years. With the hardware being virtualized on Xbox I'm not sure how much it would take to force them to reset (and not being able to backport the virtualization). allowing the devs to choose the bottom end seems reasonable.
I think this being the initial change in how consoles are released will make ms be cautious about how to make it acceptable to gamers, considering that they tried to push the market too quickly during the xo release.
so that's why they mandate no exclusives, in the future once everyone is fine with it, I think they'll allow rolling leaving it up to devs etc
with the future being as soon as Xbox 2, which for all intense and purposes makes it a rolling one from the start pretty much

Well this thread is more about what and how companies should do in reaction to something another company did. It's the business ping-pong of the console gaming world.

It first started asking what Microsoft and Nintendo should do in response to Sony PS4 Neo. Well during the discussion of that, Microsoft went ahead and announced the XBox Scorpio console which now puts the reaction on Sony and Nintendo. We're not certain if Nintendo has even registered what Sony PS4 NEO will be, let alone the Microsoft XBox Scorpio. The last time Nintendo of America CEO Reggie Fils Aimé was seen, he was dazed and confused staring longingly and endlessly at the XBox One S.

FC on Scorpio would refer to its ability to play software designed for future and unreleased hardware.

Mandating FC on the XB1 seems to be a given outside of VR, since more than likely any Scorpio games will just be Xbox 1 games with a few settings turned up higher.

I need a second to wrap my head around this discussion since it seems like myself and others are conflating concepts of BC with FC.

I think about it like this:

FC refers to the ability of software designed to run on one hardware iteration to also run on newer hardware iterations.
BC refers to the ability of a newer hardware iteration to run software designed for an older iteration.

The difference, to me, lies in whether the platform or the content are primarily responsible for the compatibility.

Using PS4 and Neo as an example; Neo has BC with older PS4 games and games that have not been patched. Newer PS4 games and patched PS4 games will be FC with Neo.

Last edited:
It's interesting how much discussion in this Sony thread is actually about Microsoft. It provides some good context for sure.

Lol no, at the beginning it was named something like "Post PS4K what Ms should do (an nintendo)" it was jokingly changed when at that time a leak pointed to a powerful XB2....

In reality this thread it´s more about the industry in general with this new paradigm of iterative releases

I wonder if anyone else here shares my hope?

I want the enthusiasm for these mid generation upgrades to be high, but for their sales to only be moderately successful. My reason being that I'd like the next generation to launch with high and low end models so that this mid generation confusion doesn't visit us again.

So, essentially 1080p and 4K versions of the PS5 and XboxTwo.

I wonder if anyone else here shares my hope?

I want the enthusiasm for these mid generation upgrades to be high, but for their sales to only be moderately successful. My reason being that I'd like the next generation to launch with high and low end models so that this mid generation confusion doesn't visit us again.

So, essentially 1080p and 4K versions of the PS5 and XboxTwo.
I wouldn't be against both a high end and mainstream release at the same time but the practicalities of it are against it Imo.
The cost of the high end would be huge, compared to doing it mid gen, or rolling with the last high end just becoming the mainstream every say 4 years. Think these are the only ways to make them reasonably priced.

B3D Life Hack #105733: When you see the word spawn in the title, you can get away with much more off topic stuff, because the mods are reluctant to spawn a spawn. Try it!

(I'm kidding!)

I wouldn't be against both a high end and mainstream release at the same time but the practicalities of it are against it Imo.
The cost of the high end would be huge, compared to doing it mid gen, or rolling with the last high end just becoming the mainstream every say 4 years. Think these are the only ways to make them reasonably priced.

True, the market may not respond all that well. It's why I'd quite like the Scorpio to launch at a fairly high price and prove that people are willing to pay a premium for a 4K machine.

That said, I don't know how MS could release a 1080p successor to the Scorpio, as well as an even more powerful 4K variant... maybe it would be more viable for Sony if they just focus the Neo on 1080p?

True, the market may not respond all that well. It's why I'd quite like the Scorpio to launch at a fairly high price and prove that people are willing to pay a premium for a 4K machine.

That said, I don't know how MS could release a 1080p successor to the Scorpio, as well as an even more powerful 4K variant... maybe it would be more viable for Sony if they just focus the Neo on 1080p?
I don't think another console post Scorpio is coming anytime soon and it won't be 1080p if Phil is true on his words. Scorpio was designed for the 4K market, no reason to back pedal to 1080p. The next console post Scorpio will also be 4K.

I assume that would be launched 5 years from Scorpio. XBox One would expire by then at 9 years of service.

I think it may even make sense to keep Xbox one around a little longer. There is a bit of truth that if you don't have 4K don't get Scorpio. If this holds true, you're going to see XBO level detail but at 4K. it's really challenging to up the detail when it costs 4x more.

For someone who doesn't have a 4K TV it may make sense to hold off on Scorpio as a buyer.

I know I won't be 4K for several more years. I have 2 large TVs at 1080p that don't need replacing anytime soon. Unless of course 4K media is taking off everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For someone who doesn't have a 4K TV it may make sense to hold off on Scorpio as a buyer.

I know I won't be 4K for several more years. I have 2 large TVs at 1080p that don't need replacing anytime soon. Unless of course 4K media is taking off everywhere.

So what if Scorpio will provide 60 fps and better AA at 1080p, still no buy? ... or is this possibility already ruled out by Microsoft?

So what if Scorpio will provide 60 fps and better AA at 1080p, still no buy? ... or is this possibility already ruled out by Microsoft?
Both Sony and Microsoft said the additional power is up to the devs to use as they wish. Depending on the games, I'm hoping they're going to up the frame rate to a stable 60fps before going above 1080p. It depends how much they're bottlenecking the CPU.

I guess giving better frame rate in competitive online multiplayer games could be a bad idea. And some more contemplative adventure games could look great in 4K even at 30fps.

Last edited:
Your 4K console of today will be the 1080p console of tomorrow. Maybe in 10 years, the Xbox one will play modern games at standard definition. LOL.

uh, at best I can only offer my personal opinion, that is one of where I own a high-end PC with a 144Hz g-sync monitor and a not so matching GPU as well as an Xbox One.

My personal preference is to take 1080p to the next level, have some pretty nutty graphics. But I think this is how it would play out:

So, I think it's going to go like this for developers:
a) frame rate is decided on for both consoles, so games will be either 30 or 60.
b) dynamic resolution will be the 'resolution go forward'
c) there could be some graphical options turned on to make use of the excess power.

At this point in time we're comparing a 1.3TF console vs a 6TF console, and quite frankly 6TF to get a game to lock 1080p with max AA and ultra graphics is overkill. Doubling the frame rate from 30 (XBO) to 60 (Scorpio) may not even be in the cards, as we have no clue what the CPU is like yet. If Scene complexity is too high, there may still be a requirement to have lower FPS.

Overall I feel at 1080p there's still going to be a large waste of power for Scorpio. The game at 1080p would have be the designed in such a way that it soaks up all that power at 1080p. And with Xbox not going away anything soon, and with developers still learning the hardware, I don't see it as the best use of all 6TF if game are still being designed for 1.3TF. In this scenario, it would make sense to have scorpio output 4K and fully use that 6TF power. However, it would be awkward if, graphical options were dialled down on 4K resolution, but dialled up on 1080p. Someone would be confused by that.

Last edited:
So what if Scorpio will provide 60 fps and better AA at 1080p, still no buy?
If the price is right, that'll have a market.
.. or is this possibility already ruled out by Microsoft?
Well we have that quote saying a 1080p TV owner wouldn't get any benefit, but at this point we're putting that down to muddled messaging as it makes little sense. TBH no-one really knows what the implementation will be and Ms aren't talking about it and wont' for a while. We might get lucky and get some dev leaks.

If the price is right, that'll have a market.
Well we have that quote saying a 1080p TV owner wouldn't get any benefit, but at this point we're putting that down to muddled messaging as it makes little sense. TBH no-one really knows what the implementation will be and Ms aren't talking about it and wont' for a while. We might get lucky and get some dev leaks.
I thought they posted a correction, I can't find it, did I imagine it?

Back