Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Your claim isn't supported by facts.

People that didn't buy XB1 for Halo and Forza won't buy Scorpio to play those games at a higher res. People that want to only play multplat games at a higher resolution / framerates will buy PCs (as they do currently), not Scorpios.

If Scorpio have Zen + HBM2 it will be a new generation of Xbox that will have to compete with...any PC running Windows 10. People will still buy Playstation to play PS games. People bought PS4 not only because of the power difference but also because of the promise (mostly fulfilled) of some great future PS only games thanks to PS3 steady release of quality exclusives until the end (and even after) when Microsoft let X360 die well before XB1 was released.
Let's wait until after e3 to decide what the markets are. If MS goes all in on cross play with w10 or cross buy we are going to see different purchasing behaviour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened to the power of the Cloud making the XBox One future proof ?!
;p
Some of us vehemently poo-poo'd the idea back when it was announced. Crackdown 3, due this year, will be the litmus test to if it works, and then there's the issue of cost (and complexity) as to whether it's further adopted (if it does work). But I'm still of the belief that it's a dead concept for a long time yet outside of some fringe features that probably aren't even worth bothering with. As you allude, the progression of hardware supports that view.

I'm wondering if it plain doesn't work outside the lab, hence the silence. Basically, until MS show it working fer reals in a working, commercially viable product, it's a pipe-dream. Evidence so far - lack of Crackdown 3 noise despite a supposed release 2nd or 3rd quarter this year and new console hardware rumour - suggests it was little more than a hypothetical notion that MS ran with before properly evaluating. We'll see.. ;)

If cloud rendering needs a low-latency internet connection anyway, they might as well switch to full-on game streaming. Then the xbox TV stick makes a lot more sense.

I'm wondering if it plain doesn't work outside the lab, hence the silence. Basically, until MS show it working fer reals in a working, commercially viable product, it's a pipe-dream. Evidence so far - lack of Crackdown 3 noise despite a supposed release 2nd or 3rd quarter this year and new console hardware rumour - suggests it was little more than a hypothetical notion that MS ran with before properly evaluating. We'll see.. ;)
I await the Win10 F2P Crackdown: CrackEdition announcement. :p

I thought the multiplayer/beta was expected at some point this year? It was never going to help the graphics, so new machines still required.

only hope of it ever getting any use is if ms provide a proven good api. lot hinges on crackdown.

I thought the multiplayer/beta was expected at some point this year? It was never going to help the graphics, so new machines still required.

only hope of it ever getting any use is if ms provide a proven good api. lot hinges on crackdown.
its being used for real time destruction of the enviorment

its being used for real time destruction of the enviorment

yea i know, guess it does make looks better, but not what I mean when I say helping out graphically.

maybe they've made havok etc work in the cloud, that's the sort of things I'm talking about

yea i know, guess it does make looks better, but not what I mean when I say helping out graphically.

maybe they've made havok etc work in the cloud, that's the sort of things I'm talking about

which will be a big leap forward. I've never seen a game with the destruction they are showing off. That is a game changer to me

which will be a big leap forward. I've never seen a game with the destruction they are showing off. That is a game changer to me
yea I'm not down playing it if that's how it sounds. Just saying they have to be the ones to demonstrate it and come up with a usable api/upgrade to middle wear if they want it to be used by anyone else.
that level of destruction on a Scorpio would be a sight

Per the following, one rule of thumb was 3x the Xbox One's capability would be in the cloud.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

If we were to go with the high water mark of projected Scorpio processing throughput, it would do that and then some.
Things like storage, RAM, and multiplayer persistence could still be benefits of that allocation.
The resource footprint of these potential consoles may mean that the allocation also expands or the data centers get new hardware, otherwise the quantity of remote resources does less to outweigh the challenges versus doing it locally.

Per the following, one rule of thumb was 3x the Xbox One's capability would be in the cloud.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

If we were to go with the high water mark of projected Scorpio processing throughput, it would do that and then some.
Things like storage, RAM, and multiplayer persistence could still be benefits of that allocation.
The resource footprint of these potential consoles may mean that the allocation also expands or the data centers get new hardware, otherwise the quantity of remote resources does less to outweigh the challenges versus doing it locally.

Meh , even if we are talking about 3x the computational power of the 8 core jaguar it would still be a great benefit for scorpio to have acess to that rendering power.

At the very least you just added a physics accelerator to the console. The console cpu can deal with tasks that are latency demanding while the power of the cloud can add fog or grass effects to make the world look more realistic.

That may only be somewhat economical/feasible in a multiplayer environment where you're spinning up cloud servers for a group of folks, and then only for one platform.

That may only be somewhat economical/feasible in a multiplayer environment where you're spinning up cloud servers for a group of folks, and then only for one platform.
well 3-4 years would have passed since they claimed the 3 times number so tech would have moved forward as well. I don't think it would be a huge deal esp since azure is built out for business and as people leave work there is a wave across the world of servers sitting idle that can be used for gaming

@3dilettante didn't the crackdown demo show up 20 with it maxing out at about 14 at the time? Had a quick scan through the vid @eastmen posted but it wasn't the big stage one that showed them spinning up and down.

although I think it wasn't strictly the power of the console, something like the equivalent power that is available to do the physics processing on the console. But still, that is a lot compared to what the console could do by itself

Some of us vehemently poo-poo'd the idea back when it was announced. Crackdown 3, due this year, will be the litmus test to if it works, and then there's the issue of cost (and complexity) as to whether it's further adopted (if it does work). But I'm still of the belief that it's a dead concept for a long time yet outside of some fringe features that probably aren't even worth bothering with. As you allude, the progression of hardware supports that view.
Sorry, I wasn't ironic enough ^^
I should have included an appropriate smiley to make it clear I was on the same page as you.

Back