Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Yes. This is what I meant. If its true that Sony is going with NEO because AMD offered this as a side effect of the cheaper manufacturing process, the same should hold for XBOXOne. So it should be expected that MS will do the same

I'm not sure that they aren't already building that into the XB1 slim that is being reported as 40% smaller and 4K capable (video content, not gaming content). It seems like perhaps MS is taking the manufacturing gains and shrinking and focusing on UHD streaming (Netflix) and putting that with a next gen console while Sony is taking the manufacturing gains and making an incrementally more powerful PS4 Neo right now.

Alex, great work.
Your Gamerscore has earned you $75
Get your discount code to save $75 off an Xbox One console at the Microsoft Store
Nice try, Phil
promotion expires June 8th, 2016
uh huh

edit: seems like a Canadian thing.

If an Eligible Participant cannot personally make use of his/her Discount Code, then he/she is permitted to transfer the Discount Code to a friend or family member. However, an Eligible Participant may only provide the Discount Code to either: (i) a friend with whom he/she has had direct voluntary two way communications, and with whom it is reasonable to conclude he/she has a personal relationship considering shared interests, experiences, opinions and other relevant factors; or (ii) a family member to whom he/she is related by marriage, a common-law partnership, or parent-child relationship, and with whom he/she has had direct voluntary two way communications.

heh.

Last edited:
How's that not swtiching the model? The existing game industry model is a static console design for 5+ years which is then completely replaced. The new model that may replace that is forwards compatible consoles released at a faster cycle with different concurrent SKUs and different pricepoints and performance levels. It's as complete a paradigm shift as we can get!
3DS is a recent example. It has a mid-generation upgrade (N3DS) but not forward-compatible to next gen handheld.
IMO a reset for a new generation is still necessary for the industry because this is the best way to introduce new gameplay methods such as new controllers, more simultaneous online players ..etc.

If it's aimed as an additional platform sku, a high-end sku, for a smaller sector, those diehard gamers (i.e. those who would purchase a $150 joypad), ... then no.
Those who want power and pay for it go to PC.
MS will release all games on PC anyway.

Sony does not need Neo+. I doubt xbox could get a worldwide market appeal anyhow.

Sony should wait Xbox one-two to launch and "dreamcast" it with a Navi GPU at 10nm.Meanwhile they can reach a 80 millions of PS4s install base.

Smaller and cheaper isn't going to turn the XB1 circumstances around. Pretty much this generation is cooked.

All those litany of reasons must be obvious to you... at the moment, the market (mass majority of gamers) aren't seeing it.

Although gamers (console gamers) can be very fickle at times, most will just gravitate to the hottest product and the one that offers the most value. And as of now, the market is speaking clearly in one's favor.

You're moving the goalposts, you're changing the discussion point. It wasn't about whether or not XB1S or Scorpio "turn anything around" or what offers "the most value", you asked why would anybody buy one.

That's an entirely different question than "Will enough people buy these so that they outsell the PS4/NEO and MS "wins" an irrelevant competition for console sales?"

You're moving the goalposts, you're changing the discussion point. It wasn't about whether or not XB1S or Scorpio "turn anything around" or what offers "the most value", you asked why would anybody buy one.

That's an entirely different question than "Will enough people buy these so that they outsell the PS4/NEO and MS "wins" an irrelevant competition for console sales?"

I wasn't moving the cliché goalpost...

I was conveying facts of the current market, versus wishful thinking. Sure there can be millions of reason "why" someone should purchase XB1... however, my rebuttal was that the majority of gamers aren't seeing it . So, if there are any valid reasons, the current market (majority of gamers) aren't seeing it... so the XB1 slim edition reasons seem even slimmer. Making the XB1 future questionable, especially when a powerhouse (Scorpio) is just around the corner.

Last edited:
Very interested to see what happens here as well. The rumours circling NextXbox and PS4 Neo, at the very least... it will be competitive.

There's also so many ways in which Xbox can introduce their new platform. So many options with how to do cross-compat or even cross-buy with PC, and also B/C with XBO titles.

Although they have taken a long time to merge their platforms, I think Scorpio will be a big step forward for Microsoft.

The challenge on power of GPU as well from Scorpio can only mean that PS4 Neo and Sony will have to be equally aggressive and respond to Microsoft's aggression here...

Gonna be a mad E3 :)

I think the brand for Xbox is doing well with console consumers. I know it is behind in sales compared to PS4, but I think Xbox as a console system still has a strong and loyal following.

This is just my impression, but I don't think one or the other platform in the Xbox games platform with annex the other. I think many console Xbox owners will remain console Xbox owners, especially in North America I am guessing, I see strong brand recognition here, lots of advertising too, both in US and Canada games stores (even more in USA from what I have seen personally).

It's an interesting situation for sure, many logistical challenges. I definitely agree it's hard to kind of measure what happens to each platform as their plans move forward (if this is their immediate or near-term plans).

I wasn't moving the cliché goalpost...

I was conveying facts of the current market, versus wishful thinking. Sure there can be millions of reason "why" someone should purchase XB1... however, my rebuttal was that the majority of gamers aren't seeing it . So, if there are any valid reasons, the current market (majority of gamers) aren't seeing it... so the XB1 slim edition reasons seem even slimmer. Making the XB1 future questionable, especially when a powerhouse (Scorpio) is just around the corner.

Why would anybody buy a PS4 with Neo available? Why would anybody buy a Neo with Scorpio right around the corner? Why would anybody buy either one of them with true VR systems only a decade away?

X1 has a decent games lineup and if MS can reposition the device to be small and cheap I don't see why it can't exist roughly as long as the PS4. And MS have canned the 360 now, possibly with an eye to having the X1 slim as their entry level device. It has a role to play there for at least a couple of years.

If the Scorpio rumours are true MS will have a larger range of performance and price covered than Sony next year. If the slim is suitably priced it could do well, especially with Scorpio making any performance difference between PS4 and X1 appear almost insignificantly small.

With a smaller chip, cheaper memory and lower power drawn, an X1 slim might be well placed for a scrap at the entry level of the console market. If they can eliminate the hybrid drive and release an optical free variant (meaning higher margins on games sold and fewer second hand purchases) they might have a $200 ~$250 device to sell this Christmas. That's got to be worth a shot.

Why would anybody buy a PS4 with Neo available?

Because it's a successful system, with a huge library, with a zero probability of being replaced by Neo. Neo from all indications is an extended platform/sku for those wanting a greater IQ/performance within the PS4 family. Not a whole new next-gen platform...
Why would anybody buy a Neo with Scorpio right around the corner?

Because NEO is essentially a beefier PS4 that plays PS4 games. Thus, not needing to rebuild a userbase or library that's already available from the start.

Why would anybody buy either one of them with true VR systems only a decade away?

VR (PSVR, Oculus, Vive, etc...) still haven't proven anything other than its a new gaming product. A product that requires more time, effort, space and much more money on building a base from a niche market to something that resembles the current gaming console space. Because VR hardware is here, and beefier systems are on their way... doesn't mean nothing if the market (majority of the market) still wants simplicity of console gaming.

Last edited:
The way this is shaping out, it's ironic that it should almost be the reverse of what is happening.

MS needs a next XBox sooner than later. A 4 TFLOPS SOC would have been a huge improvement for them. And the sooner they get rid of the proprietary ESRAM, the better for devs to really develop like a PC. They're a distant second in sales to PS4 and they are getting hammered for being weaker (even if the real difference is mostly bragging rights).

Sony are the one who can take their time. PS4 sales are still very good. They're the superior console already. Neo's 2x power, while nice, isn't a game changer. Whatever graphical improvements will likely be subtle, needing a side by side to really notice. So why are they the ones rushing a console in 2016-early 2017? For VR? Well, according to docs, all games have to be playable in OG PS4.

It's as if MS and Sony are playing each other's roles. Strange times indeed.

The way this is shaping out, it's ironic that it should almost be the reverse of what is happening.

MS needs a next XBox sooner than later. A 4 TFLOPS SOC would have been a huge improvement for them. And the sooner they get rid of the proprietary ESRAM, the better for devs to really develop like a PC. They're a distant second in sales to PS4 and they are getting hammered for being weaker (even if the real difference is mostly bragging rights).

Sony are the one who can take their time. PS4 sales are still very good. They're the superior console already. Neo's 2x power, while nice, isn't a game changer. Whatever graphical improvements will likely be subtle, needing a side by side to really notice. So why are they the ones rushing a console in 2016-early 2017? For VR? Well, according to docs, all games have to be playable in OG PS4.

Actually if the 6-10tflop rumors are true then this is working out to be the best outcome for MS .

They will have the most powerful system. So all 3rd party titles will look best on their platforms. If they have a deal for the current rift being compatible they will have an installed base of helmets to sell too. Also since oculus will have been producing those rifts for a year (if the spring 2017 rumor is true) they should be able to cost reduce the hardware. Touch will have been out for two quarters so there will be software. Constelation uses similar tech to Kinect , so Kinect can live again and you can not only get touch controls but also leap motion type controls. The rift is 1440p @ 90fps so a 6-10tflop system should be able to power that quite well without resorting to atw. Devs can target 1440p for non vr titles and it can be down sampled to 1080p for better fidelity or up resed for 4k . The 1440p will look better on 4k tvs than 1080p .

A 14nm xbox one could get down to $200 for this holiday. The one is already at $300. A $200 xbox one could bring a lot of budget minded people over to it esp if a lot of the xbox 360 owners can play their games on it. That will be a bigger base to eventually move over to the new system.

Sony on the other hand if rumors are leaks are true will have the slower machine and sony seems to be setting rules about using the extra power of the system. They could get squeezed by both ends .

Another thing to note also is minecraft. Yes its on the ps4 but the ps4 wont have the VR edition. That may be limited to gear vr , pc though the windows store and xbox vr.

:) It's time for fanfiction timeline:

1. Few years before launch of 8th gen, AMD clearly presented to both Sony and MS that they can offer easy upgrades without breaking SW compatibility
2. MS struggles after launch, orders the beefiest hardware AMD can produce on 14nm so that they can finally remove the "performance" problem that helped PS4 in its early years
3. Sony hears rumblings that MS is preparing to release very strong successor of Xbone to the market in late 2017 [zen+polaris+hbm2]
4. Sony orders quick & dirty Jaguar+Polaris update that can be released just in time when price of base PS4 can be reduced at $250-299 level
5. MS releases Scorpio when PS4+Neo [who both use identical software] install base is at impressive 70M+ and multiplatform development is still actively targeting 1.8TF level of base PS4
6. Sony continues to rock with PS4+PS4K until 2019 when they can introduce hardware for which devs can start making exclusive games.

The big question that remains is will MS enable game devs to create exclusive titles just for Scorpio.

Back