Porsche calls Nissan cheaters!

well given what this thread is supposed to be about I dont really trust anything nissan says, especially since they weren't exactly honest back with the older skylines.
Oh and that viper I was on about is still 2 seconds quicker at the ring according to that anyway...

I'm betting slicks.

Not when it was tested by every motoring magazine and show it wasn't.

The GTR is just faster than a 911 turbo, other than raising their game there's nothing Porsche can do about that.

Maybe Nissan used slicks, maybe they didn't run the same track as others do, either way it doesn't disprove the results testers have got with standard release/review cars when they tested them themselves.

Not when it was tested by every motoring magazine and show it wasn't.

The GTR is just faster than a 911 turbo, other than raising their game there's nothing Porsche can do about that.

Maybe Nissan used slicks, maybe they didn't run the same track as others do, either way it doesn't disprove the results testers have got with standard release/review cars when they tested them themselves.

Or maybe the reviewed GTR wasn't truly stock as Porsche's was? I don't think I saw a single review dyno that beast. Wouldn't be the first time a company up-tuned the review car compared to production.

It definitely won't affect my purchasing decision though. I'm not buying either :)

There is no standard BHP figure for the GTR as each engine is hand built and therefore different.

There has been one tested at over 500 bhp from the shop I think, but Nissan list the BHP as 470.

I wouldn't buy either anyway, but the Nissan way appeals to me and it does stuff a big lump of a car shouldn't which is far more impressive than a race breed Porsche that can barely match it.

Its not that Porsche cant build anything faster. Its just that for years they didnt really had any competition (and some would say they still dont have any given that there is a big difference between Porsche and Nissan) and didnt really bother that much improving their cars. Well, that backfired now I guess.

I personally dont really care. I'm not a big Porsche fan and I dont like all those playstation like cars from Japan. If you want to go fast on the track there are far better alternatives than anysportscar (and cheaper) and if you want something that really stands out or turns heads buy something like a Pagani.

Good for you. Fit a big turbo on your engine and yes you can go faster (did you know there are tons of tunners offering that for your supercar too?) in a straight line. Nice if you are american, I'd rather go fast around corners and stop fast with my nice carbon brakes.

But all that doesnt matter, because at the end of they day your supra, no matter how fast it might be, will still be a toyota with to much plastic on it and unless you are a 13 year old you do not care and you'd want the Lambo. Better yet, Instead of blowing your money on a Supra and tune it I'd go to Lambo and spend all that money on just a lambo engine. Indeed. I'd rather walk and have a lambo engine that having to drive a Supra.

But that is just my opinion ofcourse. Japanese have lots of great stuff. Desirable cars just is not one of them. I want passion, I want styling, I want engineering (well, japanese have that, but not in the way Italians have), I want something that is hand carved with love and attention, something that is made that way because it is best that way, I want Italian cars.

The tuners in Japan have already gotten great hp gains from the GT-R, over 100hp vs stock with only ECU and exhaust mods. Also the GT-R is a supercar while the Supra is not a supercar.

Supercar means super car performance(i.e enzo)... a viper acr is much faster and is NOT a super car...

I consider none of those a super car, despite riveling supercars performance(besides the supra, which IMO is just a dyno queen).
A supercar to me is like a ferrar/lamboi- hand stiched leather, very low production(that rules out any vette..) and virtually everyything hand made and of course a supercar price tag. A GT-R, viper and ZR1 aren't nearly expensive enough (therefore exclusive enough) to be considered such.
Vettes and vipers to me are just modern american sports cars- big engines and they can actually turn a corner.

Good for you. Fit a big turbo on your engine and yes you can go faster (did you know there are tons of tunners offering that for your supercar too?) in a straight line. Nice if you are american, I'd rather go fast around corners and stop fast with my nice carbon brakes.

But all that doesnt matter, because at the end of they day your supra, no matter how fast it might be, will still be a toyota with to much plastic on it and unless you are a 13 year old you do not care and you'd want the Lambo. Better yet, Instead of blowing your money on a Supra and tune it I'd go to Lambo and spend all that money on just a lambo engine. Indeed. I'd rather walk and have a lambo engine that having to drive a Supra.

But that is just my opinion ofcourse. Japanese have lots of great stuff. Desirable cars just is not one of them. I want passion, I want styling, I want engineering (well, japanese have that, but not in the way Italians have), I want something that is hand carved with love and attention, something that is made that way because it is best that way, I want Italian cars.

Well, I honestly don't care much for the cars I posted, but I do consider the literal order of a magnitude cheaper the Supra is for the performance, and was just pointing out a childish view you continue to share that japanese tuner cars are playsation cars for 13 year olds...it's a different way of thinking though, that's for sure. It reminds me of internet armchair racers...have fun with your lamborghini. :)

I will have fun with a Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0 with a customized turbos each feeding six of the cylinders. :)

There is a difference between a supercar and an exotic.

Well, I honestly don't care much for the cars I posted, but I do consider the literal order of a magnitude cheaper the Supra is for the performance, and was just pointing out a childish view you continue to share that japanese tuner cars are playsation cars for 13 year olds...it's a different way of thinking though, that's for sure. It reminds me of internet armchair racers...have fun with your lamborghini. :)

Well, thats because they are. That stupid pssst sound when you shift gears, the 12376 gages on the side of the window (because your reliability went down the toilet when you modded everything, having to service it more than a real supercar) you big ''wing'' that doesnt do anything other than cause more drag.

Not a big fan of lambo either (well, not of anything that came after the Diablo, though that new 4 door they introduced this week looks pretty damn sick, kicks the ass of the ugly porsche panarame and that stretched db9 from aston) to much audi these days.

Porsche tested their own GTR around nurburgring and claims its impossible to reach the 07:29 time in a standart production GTR.

The best lap time they managed in a stock GTR was 07:54.

Porsche's chief engineers say its impossible make a stock GTR go around the nurburgring in 07:29, unless Nissan used racing slicks, thus not making it a production car.

According to Porsche their Porsche Turbo goes around nurburgring in 7:38, meanwhile their GT2 managed 7:34.

Porsche says the Nissan GTR is a well build car, but its far to heavy to manage the supposed lap time without racing slicks.
Norwegian source (biggest newspaper in norway)

The 997 Turbo has the same amount of horsepower and weights 200kg less, makes no sense why the GTR should be faster.
What about the truth?
ie a Porsche engineer in interview in Australia said that there were tests - made not by Porsche pro-drivers but from another engineer and he was unable to get closer than 25sec to the record.

OMFG, frankly I'd be very proud to be able to get so close to top-drivers perdormance (eg level of Walter Rohrl)
But that is not a news! So lets spin&twist a bit et voila - so many hits...
+-

Apparently somewhre on car lounge forums there was link to the origin of the rumour. So far there wasn't any official Porsche word.
Who wanna bet there won't be?

Okay, now THAT explains the difference. If Porsche tested the GTR with an engineer driver and no pro, this whole topic is irrelevant.

Back