Third Party Software Exclusivity Practices

I’m pretty sure exclusives hark back from the days of SNES and Genesis, and probably before that, so this may not be entirely accurate. This old argument that “Sony started it all” to imply that Sony is “evil” may not be based on a realistic appraisal of the history of this videogame industry.
Yeah I think it’s nothing new. From what I recall MS started the ‘only on’ kind of mantra and then bought exclusive add-on content (and timed content).

I'm all for game studio acquirements and game exclusivity, but simple sh** like this, is quite stupid and hilarious at the same time.

I'm really curious as to how much was shelled out to them for those 2 additional Loadout Slots. :LOL:

I'm really curious as to how much was shelled out to them for those 2 additional Loadout Slots. :LOL:

7e8de6d6ddc7841ff7de6718444ab597.gif

Project Athia is temporary exclusive to PS5 two years but available on PC too.

I can't imagine the cost difference to sony between making something a 2 year console exclusive and a full console exclusive is that different, seems a weirdly long period of time

Really curious about where Starfield lands in this regard. I have to assume that's not coming to PS5, but I'll be extremely surprised if it does (and also, if that happens, weary on MS's decisions with software releases going forward because they honestly need as many ecosystem exclusives they can get, and a PS5 release for Starfield will get gamers expecting all the other big Bethesda games to come there, too).

Hopefully we hear more about the deal as all the legal stuff's cleared out by early next year.

Hopefully ps5 users get to play those games on their platform like normal. The money goes back to ms anyway and ms has said gamepass is their primary driver. Thats quite the advantage already.

I only have money to support one ecosystem and it would be a shame to not ever be able to play a franchise i like again. Id also be fine with ms timed exclusivity as im willing to wait

One year console exclusive for DeathLoop and Ghostwire Tokyo.
Nothing I've seen has either of these games appealing to me, but this seems pretty stupid. Your marketing costs double because you now have two launches, or overall you spend the same amount but get two muted mini-launches which is contrary to the goal.

Nothing I've seen has either of these games appealing to me, but this seems pretty stupid. Your marketing costs double because you now have two launches, or overall you spend the same amount but get two muted mini-launches which is contrary to the goal.

I guess Sony is paying them, or taking care of the ps only marketing costs ?

The marketing is paid by Sony on playstation side. This is not free.

I would really love to see a long term report on whether these tactics actually have positive effects or otherwise.
We know Tomb Raider Rise exclusivity damaged the brand. That was implied at some point by the publisher. I remember one saying they will never do that again, or something like that.

I would really love to see a long term report on whether these tactics actually have positive effects or otherwise.
I think it's a thing that would have to be very carefully evaluated by the developer\publisher. Games are taking bigger slices of time to complete with each iteration, if a game is published on one platform and labelled as timed exclusive it runs the very high risk of missing a window in which players on other platforms have either the time or the interest to get involved with it. By the time it's available to them the core story is all over the internet and there are new games ready to play.

If you look at the volume of games that were XB360 timed exclusives and look how well they performed on PS3 or PS4 then you'll get the idea.

why paying for timed exclusivity when 3rd party games are better on PS5 anyway ?

ho ho ho. Just a joke. It may not last long.

why paying for timed exclusivity when 3rd party games are better on PS5 anyway ?

ho ho ho. Just a joke. It may not last long.
Or it might remain the same from now on. Sony still have the lead platform and MS have hobbled theirs with the XSS. At best I expect the MS boxes to reach parity, with maybe some exceptions with heavy RT when they are sub 120fps.

Back