Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It's all about the games man, the Switch is killing it because of the games.
If you build it they will come. Build it meaning great exclusive games.

That said PS4 did have the best hardware, and PS2's competition wasn't that serious.

And PS4 was $100 cheaper. Good to see you write off Microsoft and SEGA are not that serious competition to PS2. :yep2:

Which I also wonder how well the PS4 would have done (at least in US/UK) had MSFT not made so many mistakes.

It would still have been $100 more expensive. The vast majority of gamers have zero comprehension of the technical capabilities of consoles and don't care. The just want to play games. Cost is the biggest barrier to that.

I agree with your point that you don't need the best hardware. That said PS4 did have the best hardware, and PS2's competition wasn't that serious. I also wonder how well the PS4 would have done (at least in US/UK) had MSFT not made so many mistakes.

PS2s competition wasn’t serious? MS threw a lot of weight behind Xbox including a certain highly anticipated title called Halo. They had the power and the features (Xbox live) too.

Brand is everything, the car crash PS3 sold over 80m, and that was a complete wreck from the build up, the reveals, the price, the super arrogance and the bad 3rd party versions!

And PS4 was $100 cheaper. Good to see you write off Microsoft and SEGA are not that serious competition to PS2. :yep2:

It would still have been $100 more expensive. The vast majority of gamers have zero comprehension of the technical capabilities of consoles and don't care. The just want to play games. Cost is the biggest barrier to that.

And the GameCube, it’s hard to think PS2 sold so many with the Dreamcast, Xbox and GameCube all competition.

The only outliner in price was PS3 but TBH the brand was so strong it carried it.

Talking of price though, look at the Wii!

First of all are you just purposely inflating the percentage difference now? It's 18% power difference and that's a ceiling, realistically it won't reach that much due to other factors mentioned in my previous post. And where's that 2+TF Navi2 come from? Math tells me 12.14 - 10.28 = 1.86TF. The split pool ram is obviously a cost saving decision which in turn makes it a hindrance if game graphics require over 10GB and hell I'll bet my house games a few years down the line would more than likely go past that amount. Also this minuscule difference in CPU power is pretty much non existence when you're rendering over 1800p. Again, clock speed vs more CU is load dependent and how you program your engine to take advantage of such, DF actually mentioned it in their video and you just omitted that part like you always do. Look, there's a lot we don't know but for what we do know let's not inflate those numbers to suit your narrative shall we?

Nothing on purpose as we have no clue as to how much and when clocks variate. It's ballpark 2TF difference to be safe, it could be more also in certain cases (9.2TF). I'm generous with 20%, which maybe in perspective isnt a world of a difference, but it's still there. That's a PS4 Pro (gcn vs navi2 flops), atleast, in additional power.
As others have pointed out, it's not a split pool, we have had a thread about it. A faster CPU is always welcome if you want higher framerates especially, also devs can opt for 3.8Ghz if they want, on the fly if i understood right. That's not nothing either. Yes DF mentioned clearly that for RDNA, higher clocks aren't in favor of going with a wider design.

MSFT also handed them PR win after win before the current gen launch on top of the 2/3 GPU performance. That's not happening this time, quite the opposite.

Ye it was rather bad 2013, a 0.5TF less powerfull console, expensive, and focussed on TVTVTV. Now they have the better specced box, and a focus where it should be, games.

Cell was theoretically more powerful

360's CPU was more powerfull for most gaming related tasks, as was it's GPU. Wasn't the PS3 being planned to be released around the same time as the 360 from the beginning?

the brand was so strong it carried it.

That is not a guarantee things will go well, you never know, maybe if there's very little competition yes.

My claim is that more powerful hardware doesn't outsell less powerful hardware and there is evidence everywhere b y virtual that the highest-end items in any product line never outsell models lower down the tier.

But even if you think my 'claim' lacks evidence, you disagreeing with it provides zero evidence that powerful hardware is more appealing than lower-powered hardware. The position I have maintained forever is that price is the most important factor. Typically less power = cheaper but not always.

And Sony handled Microsoft a PR win with PS3, the fact that Cell was theoretically more powerful (but that power largely went untapped or was used to compensate for the GPU) didn't stop Sony selling as PS3s as Microsoft sold 360s, launching 12-18 months later and at almost twice the price. How does make the case for power selling?

I introduced my own claim that its actually the time difference between the consoles that has kept the more powerful hardware from winning out and the two times in modern consoles when they launched at relatively the same time ( Saturn/PS , PS4/XO) the more powerful system won out

That's just a surface observation before looking at the positions each company faced at different times. Sega being almost bankrupt during the dreamcast , the rampet piracy on the dreamcast . As I mentioned how difficult it was to develop for the Saturn. The n64 being late and saddled with expensive carts. Microsoft having freshly entered the console industry late in a generation while sony was established for a generation and already into the second gen. There is a lot more than the surface observation you made.

I introduced my own claim that its actually the time difference between the consoles that has kept the more powerful hardware from winning out and the two times in modern consoles when they launched at relatively the same time ( Saturn/PS , PS4/XO) the more powerful system won out.

Let's introduce some more facts. PlayStation and PS4 wee both $100 cheaper at launch. Also consider that PS4 Pro, more powerful than PS4, didn't outsell it. There is no data to support Xbox One X outselling Xbox One S. Help me with some data that demonstrates that given the choice, people will pay more for performance. Because I only see evidence that while performance is a factor, price seems to the heaviest and most consistent data point for commercial success measures by units sold.

Let's introduce some more facts. PlayStation and PS4 wee both $100 cheaper at launch. Also consider that PS4 Pro, more powerful than PS4, didn't outsell it. There is no data to support Xbox One X outselling Xbox One S. Help me with some data that demonstrates that given the choice, people will pay more for performance. Because I only see evidence that while performance is a factor, price seems to the heaviest and most consistent data point for commercial success measures by units sold.
where ? Where was the PlayStation $100 cheaper at launch? What system ? What do you consider its competition ? In the USA the Saturn launched first with a surprise launch in may vs Sept of the PlayStation. Yes the PlayStation had the e3 moment where they had a lower price point but by that fall when the ps launched the prices were the same with sega discounting the Saturn to compete. Or are we talking about in japan where sega launched the 32x within months of the Saturn. Or do you think it had to do with Sony being able to price their way into the market by pulling an epic store and charging less to publish on their platform ?

How would we even know the sales numbers of the Xbox one X and One S ? MS hasn't released them. So its a convenient place you've put yourself. Also why would 3 years of sales be higher than 7 years in sales.

The Pro and X are trickier to analyze because they had the momentum of a half-generation of exclusives behind them, which muddies the waters and makes a blank-slate analysis difficult. However, for the past 2 full-generation changes, it's interesting that the more expensive console was also computationally weaker and/or trickier to program. It'll be interesting to see if this odd correlation exists in the next generation as well.

All of which extends from an extremely false premise... and then asks why there's no patent on it or listed by AMD. I think the beginning of the thread is far more interesting then the ending.

Great Video Clip by @RedGamingTech , where he briefly touched on PS5’s Geometry Engine (GE), how it actually eliminates the need of VRS. Again, GE has mysterious features that Sony has yet to unveil.

where ? Where was the PlayStation $100 cheaper at launch? What system ? What do you consider its competition ? In the USA the Saturn launched first with a surprise launch in may vs Sept of the PlayStation. Yes the PlayStation had the e3 moment where they had a lower price point but by that fall when the ps launched the prices were the same with sega discounting the Saturn to compete. Or are we talking about in japan where sega launched the 32x within months of the Saturn. Or do you think it had to do with Sony being able to price their way into the market by pulling an epic store and charging less to publish on their platform ?

How would we even know the sales numbers of the Xbox one X and One S ? MS hasn't released them. So its a convenient place you've put yourself. Also why would 3 years of sales be higher than 7 years in sales.
We have data that shows PS4 outsells the pro and we know the gap between PS4&pro sales vs XBO&X sales % gap has not shrunk which would imply the X has not caused a wave of people wanting more power over ‘ the whole package’.

As mentioned earlier, premium products rarely are the biggest sellers, cars, TVs, phones, etc the list goes on.

PS2s competition wasn’t serious? MS threw a lot of weight behind Xbox including a certain highly anticipated title called Halo. They had the power and the features (Xbox live) too.

Brand is everything, the car crash PS3 sold over 80m, and that was a complete wreck from the build up, the reveals, the price, the super arrogance and the bad 3rd party versions!
If I recall the XBOX came a year late at $299 when the PS2 was already having lower price and all the super popular franchises that people have been enjoying on the PS1 as timed exclusives or full exclusives.
You cant beat that. The XBOX controller was outright horrible too and the console wasnt packaged as a family product. The PS2 had the games and the design to fit every household and satisfy every member in the family. The XBOX didnt allow you to use the DVD either unless you purchased something extra if I recall? It was a product that looked sinister, bulky that targeted a particular mentality.

In the ideal world where Final Fantasy, DMC, Resident Evil, Tekken etc remained exclusives to the Playstation brand the PS3 would have obliterated the 360 sooner after the launch shitshow.
One of the reasons people continued to purchase the PS is because they were still expecting the usual exclusives to be exclusives. At launch the 360 barely carried the name of the franchises people where interested in and it's games, besides Halo and Gears, barely were franchises that made the gaming community want an XBOX over a PS.
Keeping MGS4 exclusive to PS3 also maintained people's faith for the platform's exclusive titles.

Many retailers refused to sell the Saturn because the surprise launch happened only with specific popular profile shops. They boycotted it. It also didnt have enough games while those it had were unpolished. The PS1 launched immediately at an affordable price, polished games and was welcomed by all retailers. Not sure how fast the Saturn dropped its price. But Sony did everything right. Price, games, power, right release date, embraced by all retailers.

Why wouldn't you believe him out of interest?

Oh, I don't want to derail the thread. To keep it short, he's a d***, and when he has been wrong in the past (wrong rumour, fake sources, etc. It happens.), he never acknowledge it and just block/trash people. I wouldn't be surprise if he didn't have any sources about that.

I hope sony will get a little more cocky with publicity once we have the full reveal.

The new SONY Playstation 5 is set to dominate the next generation with amazing games. FEEL the games with it's innovative haptic controller. HEAR the games with it's unparalleled 3D audio. SEE the games with it's revolutionary custom GPU and the most powerful storage in gaming history. PLAY the games from the award winning studios that defined the previous generation, and are about to define the next.

*beep*
Playstashun.

That's not so difficult? Just... sell it.

Back