Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I gess we shouldn't expect the actual console revealed any time soon....

"We look forward to sharing more information about PS5, including the console design, in the coming months."

Dammit!

And cerny already says "looking forward to our teardown". He didn't say in months

What if you made a VR game that is audio only like a simulation of what it is like to be blind? Or a 3D or even 2D music game? ;)

But seriously it will clearly be up to a dev how much you want to use, but you’re not likely to run into an upper limit quickly that much seems clear.
WARP made a game called True Sound (I think) that was audio only. It was released on Sega Saturn and then got a remastered release on Dreamcast. I think the Dreamcast one actually has graphics, the Saturn release is a blank screen at all times as far as I could tell. The whole game is in Japanese so I haven't been able to actually play it. Pretty sure it plays like an interactive radio drama, though.

Have to say, PS5 project really looks well thought out. Controller looks awesome, SSD tech, hopefully VR and with specs, while not as powerful as XSX, are very close for them not to matter all that much.

I think I'll be buying PS5 as my main console. I just wish it had 512GB/s of BW damnit!

I'm thinking of getting ps5. Only issue really is the rumored heating issues but I hope that turns out not to be true. Then update my pc bit later and have best of both worlds. It's great MS supports pc very well. Should have both my peasant flops and console exclusives.

It's kind of sad and great time to buy hw. Things move now so slow that's it's possible to invest quite much and then use same hw for 5-10 years. Maybe only update gpu in between. PC has gone to similar cycle as base consoles.

I'm thinking of getting ps5. Only issue really is the rumored heating issues but I hope that turns out not to be true. Then update my pc bit later and have best of both worlds. It's great MS supports pc very well. Should have both my peasant flops and console exclusives.

It's kind of sad and great time to buy hw. Things move now so slow that's it's possible to invest quite much and then use same hw for 5-10 years. Maybe only update gpu in between. PC has gone to similar cycle as base consoles.

I really can’t see there being heat issues, I don’t think DF have reported any such feedback and Cerny seemed very pleased with the PS5 solution...

Those rumors like "ps5 has 360 level rrod heat issues because of variable clocks" and "ps5 is flailing because we havent seen the console box yet" and "devs dont know how to optimize for ps5" seemed like they were passed around by bad faith actors in the aftermath of cernys talk through various discussions online and turned into something from nothing from some people who dont know much about hw or software development but have an axe to grind in creating FUD.

If jason scherier is to be believed(and hes generally trustworthy imo) i dont think there is much if anything to all that doom and gloom talk.

Like others have said, what ive seen so far of the hw ethos seems sound even if we dont have all the information.

I think sony have learned a lot from their experiences in console gaming development up until now over the decades and the same goes for MS. And that is good news for us game players.

Those rumors like "ps5 has 360 level rrod heat issues because of variable clocks" and "ps5 is flailing because we havent seen the console box yet" and "devs dont know how to optimize for ps5" seemed like they were passed around by bad faith actors in the aftermath of cernys talk through various discussions online and turned into something from nothing from some people who dont know much about hw or software development but have an axe to grind in creating FUD.

If jason scherier is to be believed(and hes generally trustworthy imo) i dont think there is much if anything to all that doom and gloom talk.

Like others have said, what ive seen so far of the hw ethos seems sound even if we dont have all the information.

I think sony have learned a lot from their experiences in console gaming development up until now over the decades and the same goes for MS. And that is good news for us game players.
they wouldn't launch a product that will fail out of the gate. That is obvious. But for both consoles, we have yet to see if their drives will sustain their performance for the lifetime of the console or to die out within 2 years or so. They will run hot. They will be running long sessions of drive usage, games are not like applications, consoles will run them hard like servers would.
And if games are really to take full advantage of that bandwidth (even more so on Sony's side) the chips must be of quality and must be cooled sufficiently to avoid rapid deterioration. The SSD will be another point of critical failure here in which heavy operation could result in damage.

When we consider the 'console' cleaning videos, we see tons filled with dust and crap blocking up the air flow after a year or so of usage.

Since this is the first go around with this type of thing, I think it's reasonable to have concerns in general. It would take to second revision to have a lot of confidence that the product won't die prematurely I think.

Have to say, PS5 project really looks well thought out. Controller looks awesome, SSD tech, hopefully VR and with specs, while not as powerful as XSX, are very close for them not to matter all that much.

I think I'll be buying PS5 as my main console. I just wish it had 512GB/s of BW damnit!

It does. Storage/IO, and to some extend audio have been underdeveloped on consoles for the past generations. The most gains are to be found in those areas, ie less diminishing returns then say gpu and even cpu. Sony therefore went all in for those areas. They wanted the least possible bottlenecks between io//apu, streamline to achieve max performance targets.

Yes xsx is the more powerfull machine, somewhat faster cpu/gpu, but i doubt anyone will notice the differences besides DF in cross plat games. Its not impossible that there will be advantages to both, somewhat higher res/fps for xsx, somewhat better texture streaming for the ps5, a load time differiantional here and there.

I'm thinking of getting ps5. Only issue really is the rumored heating issues

The ’very hot’ troubles stem from unmature smart shift implementations in dev kits, not from final cooling design and matured smart shift tech, i call it smart shift because it actually is that tech, just altered by sony/amd.

Look, both will be great consoles, MS this time will deliver a real competitor this coming gen. Close in specs, probably close in price. Pick your poison. Both boxes will deliver that next gen experience down the line, not just one of them ;)

I will end up getting both, a pc upgrade down the line.

Thats not wrong @iroboto ...but i like to think that risks like that, while both a factor for sony and ms, have clearly been thought through to some extent regarding longevity.

Having an rrod level disaster like 360 or disc read error disaster like ps1ps2 isnt unlikely but its also not something i see sony or ms blatantly overlooking in their design if people online can easily call it out as a problem only a year or two after launch.

You know, with all of these exotic features that PS5 has, I hope launch units come with a demo disc like the first Playstation did. The one with the sting ray and t-rex on it, but this time, have it show off the 3D sound and tactile features. And yes, I want a disc. And I want it to be black on the bottom.

It wouldn't be a disc but pre-installed demos in this day and age. That'd be pretty cool, to have a features walk-through with some demos.

The ’very hot’ troubles stem from unmature smart shift implementations in dev kits, not from final cooling design and matured smart shift tech, i call it smart shift because it actually is that tech, just altered by sony/amd.
I'd love to see the source for all that. Thanks.

Back