Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

If you are generating more frames each second, you are needing to do more work and thus burn more electrons.

Right, but i doubt its anything significant going forward, other than cross-gen and ps4 games like spiderman etc. Devs have the hardware to work with, and if they utilize it properly aiming for say 30 or 60fps etc.

Right, but i doubt its anything significant going forward, other than cross-gen and ps4 games like spiderman etc. Devs have the hardware to work with, and if they utilize it properly aiming for say 30 or 60fps etc.
Ratchet and Clank has an unlocked framerate mode now, it hits up to 100fps in places with RT on.

They really need to expand the VRR range down to at least 40fps. Feels half baked as it is.

Ratchet and Clank has an unlocked framerate mode now, it hits up to 100fps in places with RT on.

They really need to expand the VRR range down to at least 40fps. Feels half baked as it is.

Could probably reach 200+fps in some places, heck even UE5 could. Its too little to matter for powerdraw/electricity bills etc.

I dont want to be a party pooper but TVs fps counters are not very reliable for example when DF did Microsoft fligh sim it showed like 120fps on xsx wich we know its not true.
Usually depends if framerate falls into range of using LFC. That's when your likely to see issue.
Otherwise I'm not sure why it would be much of a problem?

I've not watched vids so don't know if that's what's happening.
Also don't know the quality of LFC implementation on PS5.

Usually depends if framerate falls into range of using LFC. That's when your likely to see issue.
Otherwise I'm not sure why it would be much of a problem?

I've not watched vids so don't know if that's what's happening.
Also don't know the quality of LFC implementation on PS5.
There's no LFC in PS5's VRR implementation, so there should not be an issue with the counter.

I dont want to be a party pooper but TVs fps counters are not very reliable for example when DF did Microsoft fligh sim it showed like 120fps on xsx wich we know its not true.
Its not reliable in 120hz mode when drop below 60, otherwise is good

Anyway it’s still damn impressive. There is a lot of titles that struggle to maintain 30 fps with RT on and nowhere near so impressive visually

Ideally, the standard VRR range adopted by HDMI and all compliant devices would go down as far as 24fps, so a media device can stay at VRR mode constantly, and perfectly adapt its output to whatever main content its displaying from film to fixed framerate media in 25Hz (1/2 PAL) 30Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz dinamically and also support modern VRR media, all without having to switch "modes" ever.

Heck, if we are there, maybe even 20fps would be a good idea if only to better display early 3D games like quake, zelda oot or whatever...

Last edited:
Framerate is still one if not the most important factors for gaming imo, atleast if its a constant one, which gsycn/freesync dont really compete with, but see how amazing CoD4 looks with the natural motion and all. Its a ancient game. People are very impressed.

uncapped frames + maybe it can run 40-120 range when 120hz is enabled ?
edit: John from df confirming it can work below 48hz but only in 120hz mode and with dev patch

This feels so backwards. :???: Hopefully DF do a video on the different implementations and why LFC needs specific developer support.

Back