Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

He says in a comment that he measured the SOC temp from the back of the board, so it isn't so much an accurate reading of the SOC, but the PCB below it. But if he measured both systems in the same way, it should be a fair comparison. I'd like to see more also, though.

Also, the comments are turning into the dumpster fire you would expect.
Ehh:)

So I get the reluctance around measuring thermal exhaust is bullshit as a metric in isolation. But measuring exhaust temperature is actually one part of the equation for determining thermal resistance of a heat sink.

Some of the white papers I’ve read drill a hole into the heat sink contact plate and place a probe with thermal paste into the hole and that’s just about as close to the soc you can get from the point of the contact to dissipation into air.

not quite sure about measuring the back of a PCB. I’m no longer sure if you’re measuring the heat sink or perhaps a different chip, etc. But I suppose if the only answer one is looking for that it is superior; perhaps that would suffice.

Apparently Digital foundry sent their new ps5 over to gamers nexus. So hopefully they set up the probes like they did for the original ps5 and we can see the diffrences.

I don't see the changes as bad per say. If they are able to cool it with a less expensive heatsink that is a good thing for them. For end users its a wash neither better or worse.

Apparently Digital foundry sent their new ps5 over to gamers nexus. So hopefully they set up the probes like they did for the original ps5 and we can see the diffrences.

I don't see the changes as bad per say. If they are able to cool it with a less expensive heatsink that is a good thing for them. For end users its a wash neither better or worse.
there's no concern if you're looking at it from a buyers/owners perspective.

I think if people want to get actually technical about the process or the numbers, then, there is probably some discussion there to be had on how to best approach it, what it could be measuring, why something is a higher temperature etc.

not quite sure about measuring the back of a PCB. I’m no longer sure if you’re measuring the heat sink or perhaps a different chip, etc. But I suppose if the only answer one is looking for that it is superior; perhaps that would suffice.

They measured the back of the PCB? Definitely not ideal. To be perfectly fair, the video that at least opened up the PS5 and measured internally only had a few hundred views when I watched it yesterday, the other video measuring the exhaust had a few million views.

Maybe both of those videos have faulty techniques and wanted to portray a message, but only one of them actually has social media influence. And that was the video with by far the poorest methodology.

Digital foundry sent their new ps5 over to gamers nexus

Ha, really? @Dictator?

Hopefully GamersNexus fixed their faulty methodology when measuring the memory chips, since their technique raised the heatsink away from the memory itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's no concern if you're looking at it from a buyers/owners perspective.

I think if people want to get actually technical about the process or the numbers, then, there is probably some discussion there to be had on how to best approach it, what it could be measuring, why something is a higher temperature etc.

I remember in the gamers nexus temp testing there was some ram that ran extremely hot , i think pretty close to the max temp allowed in the specifications for the ram. So it will be interesting to see if they were able to fix that or if it got worse.

Anyway the rumors are already that there will be a slim on 6nm next year. Will be interesting to see have much more efficient they can make it with just a drop from 7 to 6nm

They measured the back of the PCB? Definitely not ideal. To be perfectly fair, the video that at least opened up the PS5 and measured internally only had a few hundred views when I watched it yesterday, the other video measuring the exhaust had a few million views.

Maybe both of those videos have faulty techniques and wanted to portray a message, but only one of them actually has social media influence. And that was the video with by far the poorest methodology.

Ha, really? @Dictator?

Hopefully GamersNexus fixed their faulty methodology when measuring the memory chips, since their technique raised the heatsink away from the memory itself.
Yea, measuring as much as possible is certainly better than just measuring the exhaust alone.

That being said, the back of the PCB, IIRC, PS5 has a small heatsink back there as well, a bit of a heatsink sandwich. Which is why I'm not sure measuring behind the SoC is a good measurement, I'm not sure if they are picking up behind the SoC or the heatsink material there.

Anyway, we'll just wait for more news. I didn't realize they were measuring behind SoC either until someone made mention of it.

Yea, measuring as much as possible is certainly better than just measuring the exhaust alone.

That being said, the back of the PCB, IIRC, PS5 has a small heatsink back there as well, a bit of a heatsink sandwich. Which is why I'm not sure measuring behind the SoC is a good measurement, I'm not sure if they are picking up behind the SoC or the heatsink material there.

Anyway, we'll just wait for more news. I didn't realize they were measuring behind SoC either until someone made mention of it.
All the spots tested on the back of the shield are in direct thermal contact with the elements, including the APU (the back). The point is not to measure the true APU / chips temp, the point is to compare both temperatures.

GN used similar method to measure SoC temperature iirc

The New PS5 is Actually Better now with a sequel:

I'm liking this new revision more and more. The only thing that still sucks is that there's apparently still a fan lottery (no idea about coil whine, but if the mobo is on its third revision maybe they did sth to improve it).

The New PS5 is Actually Better now with a sequel:
This video is even better than the first. He used 12 temp sensors (and showed their placement), most in the same spots as Gamers Nexus when they tested the original model PS5 plus a few extra. This new model PS5 outperforms that old one in terms of thermals, even considering Hardware Busters International tested at ~28°C ambient vs GN’s ~22°. The comparison table is near the middle of the video, but it’s worth a watch (at 1.25x speed) to support their efforts.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...maller-lighter-heatsink-keeps-console-cooler/

showing that the PS5's exhaust air is warmer because the new cooling system is doing a better job of removing heat from the console, as cooling systems are meant to do.
The exhaust air is indeed a few degrees warmer in the new PS5 than the old one, but on average, the new PS5's APU ran about 11°C cooler, dropping from about 51°C to 40°C.
This is what I thought as well, if both machines are generating the same amount of heat and model B is letting more heat escape out the exhast then surely it must be colder?
How could Austin Evans screw up so baddly

Back