Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

it comes from lack of communication on their part, it comes from them talking about Primitive Shaders which is RDNA 1 feature and not Mesh Shaders which is RNDA 2, also no talk of VRR, VRS, ML and so on.

Edit1: It also says RNDA 2 based.

Edit2: Good explanation of the differences of Prim/Mesh shaders
https://www.resetera.com/threads/primitive-shader-amds-patent-deep-dive.186831/

Wrong thread for this discussion.

all i want is the truth so i can make an informed purchase.

Stated clearly on AMD's own website (including the PS5 Unreal 5 Demo using RDNA 2 architecture): https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/rdna-2

So...

- PS5 Upgrades on big and not so big first party PS4 games: are we even getting any? If so, what/how/when/free? There is really no excuse for Sony’s super lauded and hyped Worldwide Studios to not go back and give us upgrades for their multi million selling PS4 games, when CDPR is giving us updates to The Witcher 3 with RT, FOR FREE. It’s not even that many games - heck, Santa Monica has ONE GAME to upgrade. Naughty Dog has a couple.
Why would they enhance games that don't need to be enhanced? You saying God of War looks shit? o_O I think God of War looks great and I will play it on my PS5 again.

Games I intend to play again on the PS5. Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-man, God of War, Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, GT Sport(until GT7 comes out), Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and other Tomb Raider games(haven't played Shadow of the Tomb Raider although have had it for a while now).

Undecided games to play on the PS5 - Uncharted 4(I might or might not replay this one, still deciding), The Order 1886, Detroit Become Human(haven't finished this game so likely candidate to play on PS5), Rainbow 6 Siege.

Black (charcoal black? Asphalt gray?) PS5 confirmed. Or it's old news?

SIE_Project_Nimble_LOCALIZATION_003_EN-01.jpg

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...-showcase-on-wednesday-september-16/#comments
It's the white console in shade. You can see the controller is also white.

it comes from lack of communication on their part, it comes from them talking about Primitive Shaders which is RDNA 1 feature and not Mesh Shaders which is RNDA 2, also no talk of VRR, VRS, ML and so on.

VRR is part of HDMI 2.1 spec which the PS5 will have.

Video Out Support of 4K 120Hz TVs, 8K TVs, VRR (specified by HDMI ver.2.1)

:LOL: You've already made your decision. Enjoy your XBSX.

Last edited:
yes but is VRS, VRR, Mesh Shaders, ML ect ect RDNA 2 features or addons MS added.

Both systems have custom SOCs based on AMD's RDNA 2 architecture. And whatever custom features they may or mayn't have, some (or all) may never be fully disclosed to the public. That being said, don't expect two radically different designs outside AMD's RDNA 2 architecture and feature-sets.

It better be, it’s out in 2 months :)
I’m much more interested in the 60fps modes on that and R&C, and how that affects RT and other aspects of the games.
I want my new PS5 life to be as free from 30fps as possible.

Yes i was thinking of this before, i wonder what they do to achieve the 60fps mode. Dail down on RT, resolution, or effects, or a combination of those? If the difference is hard to spot, it's a winner, i really hope all Sony's first party titles are going to offer a 60fps mode. Doubt those games at 60fps mode will see a huge difference in fidelity to the 30fps mode, or so i hope. DF has something to do atleast :p

They really need to show gameplay of any of their big games. Either Demon's souls, Spiderman or Horizon 2. That would be enough.

You will see more from forbidden west.

Nice, exactly the day I move to my new house, i don't know if the internet connexion will be active already.
I'll have to use my phone as a modem.
Damn you Sony !

Hope you have fibre to your new house :)

yes but is VRS, VRR, Mesh Shaders, ML ect ect RDNA 2 features or addons MS added.

Why do you even care? Look at how the games look instead. PS5 has a rdna2 gpu, their not going to strip all those features from it, then it wouldn't be a RDNA2 gpu anymore. Both XSX and PS5 have rdna2 gpus/tech, they don't differ much if at all in arch/feature set. Get a PS5 and gamepass subscribtion, you get everything.

There is another thread called RDNA1.8 or something. It covers a majority of your questions.
I don’t feel like this is the right thread to ask these questions on 2 weeks from preorder day. Let this thread be for excitement; for purchasing info; accessories; launch titles and services and UI. The year has been shitty for everyone and people could use some things to look forward to.

The other threads are there for technical discussions.

There is another thread called RDNA1.8 or something. It covers a majority of your questions.
I don’t feel like this is the right thread to ask these questions on 2 weeks from preorder day. Let this thread be for excitement; The year has been shitty for everyone.

The other threads are there for technical discussions.

Yes agree with this, it's tiring with all this 'this console is missing feature X, it's lacking in hw' or 'this corporation doesnt care about gamers and games'. It feels that those arguments mostly are used to downplay ones 'competitors' platform. I respect what Sony is doing, they try to advance as much as possible in a short time. We get SSD/RT tech used to near full potentional right of the bat with ratchet, GT7, Spiderman.... now they enable 60fps modes too for those that prefer higher framerates for their 1st party games. Then we get forbidden west going for full fat crazy next gen pure rasterization graphics.
Demon's souls is said to be using RT for shadows, then this cat-game with substantional amounf of ray tracing too, along with pragmata.

At the same time i like what MS is doing too, it benefits the pc aswell, they make next gen gaming affordable to everyone, and be able to play everywhere, and work on to get SSD tech to the pc gaming world, so that 3rd party games won't hamper multiplat games all too much, this benefits the PS5 too. This gamepass is a killer deal. And yes also Xbox will see high profile amazing next gen graphics, just later due to a cross-gen period. Heck, MS even wants to sell PS5 consoles to gamers together with a gamepass subscribtion. Their not competing really in the classical sense. So shouldn't we here on tech forums.
Discussing the tech in a normal non warring manner is fun though, looking forward to that.

I'm quitting an appartment with 300mbps fiber to go to a house with 5mbps ADSL, for a few weeks/months until fiber becomes available...:runaway:

Ouch, rather a house with adls then an appartment with fiber though :p I had 2mbs in my house when i bought it, you get used to those speeds again but will hit hard in the beginning :) (i have 1gb/s fiber in the house now)

Ouch, rather a house with adls then an appartment with fiber though :p I had 2mbs in my house when i bought it, you get used to those speeds again but will hit hard in the beginning :) (i have 1gb/s fiber in the house now)

Fiber is less than a km away, so hopefully it won't last for too long !

does faster I/0/SSD play a role in graphics at all? i keep hearing how this is another pillar of graphics.
To a certain point yes. Only if the developers want to have asset diversity and fidelity at that level. Otherwise it’s good to have to support better game design/engine design. Not every studio has the budget to have such high quality assets.
But an indie studio could max out the GPUs by making dynamic RT stuff for instance.

Back