Playstation 5 hacked [2021-11, 2022-10] *spawn

With higher prices for consoles and games/services to it, together with the global economics as they are there could be more incentive to try and play pirated games. This hack with all its good intentions will surely be used for other practices aswell.

That's where the new-wave of security comes in. Those offline consoles will only be able to play buggy shit because games are released in a broken mess that need a day 1 patch minimum to get working toa most rudimentary standard. turns out dodgy 'QA' was all part of the plan! :runaway:
Lazy devs save the day! :runaway:

There will always be piracy in some shape or form.
I just wonder how large of a percentage of the ownership actually bothers to pirate games on the consoles?
I mean, how big of an issue was it on PS4?

As for offline patching your games, that is fine, until the game requires a newer firmware than the one that is cracked....

I just wonder how large of a percentage of the ownership actually bothers to pirate games on the consoles?

As for offline patching your games, that is fine, until the game requires a newer firmware than the one that is cracked....

Not in the EU but in some asian countries i remember stores selling CFW PS4's ready for the user with pre-installed games. No idea how large of an impact that had, but i can imagine with these game prices increasing, aswell as services prices and games itself in a weak global economic market that there is going to be interest in piracy on that front.

No idea how large of an impact that had, but i can imagine with these game prices increasing
Presumably not much given Sony's financials and Sony reports on piracy (or lack thereof). The firmware race seems to keep most people from wanting to maintain a pirate box that can only play older games limited to the cracked FW. If piracy has a big presence in some markets like China, Sony can just move their inventory elsewhere where's there's plenty of demand still. And in those territories aren't the online games the most popular?

Furthermore, what's the copy protection like for Sony games on Windows? Are pirate copies available? I think that's the platform far more at risk from piracy. If it's no longer a huge problem there, strikes me as unlikely to become a worse problem on closed-hardware consoles with hacks than open-platform Windows with any number of attack vectors.

Presumably not much given Sony's financials and Sony reports on piracy (or lack thereof). The firmware race seems to keep most people from wanting to maintain a pirate box that can only play older games limited to the cracked FW. If piracy has a big presence in some markets like China, Sony can just move their inventory elsewhere where's there's plenty of demand still. And in those territories aren't the online games the most popular?

Furthermore, what's the copy protection like for Sony games on Windows? Are pirate copies available? I think that's the platform far more at risk from piracy. If it's no longer a huge problem there, strikes me as unlikely to become a worse problem on closed-hardware consoles with hacks than open-platform Windows with any number of attack vectors.

No idea really, its not as common anymore as during the 6th generation where having a chipped ps2/xbox was the norm.... Things changed with the 360/PS3, though CFW was still doable. With the PS4/One generation pirated consoles took another nosedive.
Its practically the same on PC where pricay has decreased as things like Steam became more and more popular and more-often price slashes and online components becoming all the more important.

Piracy making a comeback due to global economic problems? Probably not, however i can imagine some considering the idea atleast. But yeah, piracy as it was two decades ago probably wont make a return anymore as it was then.

There will always be piracy in some shape or form. I just wonder how large of a percentage of the ownership actually bothers to pirate games on the consoles?
That's why I wonder. There were far less risk of piracy on the non-connected PlayStation and PS2, games were robust on launch and if you did mod your console, as long as you weren't dumb enough to send it to Sony for repair, nobody would know. Now there is already so much online DRM that modding risks your console being barred and that carries real consequences for the reason's Shifty set out.

That's why I wonder. There were far less risk of piracy on the non-connected PlayStation and PS2, games were robust on launch and if you did mod your console, as long as you weren't dumb enough to send it to Sony for repair, nobody would know. Now there is already so much online DRM that modding risks your console being barred and that carries real consequences for the reason's Shifty set out.

Chipping PS2 at the start was a pain in the ass with the early chips needing 23 wires to be soldered to the board at often a huge expense.

PS1 was 4 wires and could be done for cheap.

On ps1, PS2, ps3, piracy basically makes the game industry thriving in Indonesia. You can't even buy original games without going thru Grey imports, and risk getting stuck or 'lost' at customs if you didn't bribe and/or didn't have 'connections'.

Pirated ps1 games were around 0.1 USD, while pirated SNES games were around 10-30 USD.

Then comes PS4 where Sony already have very strong foothold in Indonesia due to previous generations nation wide piracy. Sony came with strong regional pricing, where Sony games are around 50-60% cheaper than US.

Akin to what Microsoft has done with windows. Nationwide piracy. It even killed the government program to push the use of open source OS. As people and companies simply pirate windows.

Now with PS5, Sony's regional pricing has been reversed. Sony games are 10-20% more expensive than US.

Chipping PS2 at the start was a pain in the ass with the early chips needing 23 wires to be soldered to the board at often a huge expense. PS1 was 4 wires and could be done for cheap.
I only modded my PS1, or rather my friend did. Getting discs reliably working was more of an issue so I rarely made use of it. More often, my group would buy different games and swap them amongst ourselves.

By the time I had my PS2 I could afford to just buy discs.

I think there lies the rub. Back in PS1/2 era (and earlier), consoles were selling to kids where money was tight. Nowadays consoles are selling to higher income users, either grown-up gamers or kids with decent-income families. Those who can't afford a £400+ console and subscription and games would likely be gaming on someone's old console with their old game discs, I image. Also with gaming so cheap on mobile, there's not so much need to satisfy one's gaming itch via consoles or PC. The current economy may put a squeeze on disposable income but I don't feel it'll result in a desire to pirate games en masse if it's not mind-numbingly easy - stick USB drive, unlock you console, no concerns about FW and updates and just download torrents. If it's not that easy I think people will want to stay clear save a technically minded few or some more innovative lower-tier economies. Instead, people will switch to more F2P titles etc. Maybe even play that 200+ game back catalogue they've accrued in Steam sales and PS+/GWG giveaways!!

Reactions: JPT
I think there lies the rub. Back in PS1/2 era (and earlier), consoles were selling to kids where money was tight. Nowadays consoles are selling to higher income users, either grown-up gamers or kids with decent-income families.
I would be willing to bet if you could chip a PS5 for £20 and then buy games for £5 without affecting online even the people with money would do it.

To me the only reason PS1 was as big of a success as it was is due to it being cheap to chip and buy games, I didn't know a single person who didn't have a chipped PS1, even working adults I knew had their's chipped.

Last edited:
Most people are not going to put custom firmware on their consoles. Maybe if private (illigal) companies/users do it for them, but thats abit of a stretch to see that happening in large numbers.

I would be willing to bet if you could chip a PS5 for £20 and then buy games for £5 without affecting online even the people with money would do it.

To me the only reason PS1 was as big of a success as it was is due to it being cheap to chip and buy games, I didn't know a single person who didn't have a chipped PS1, even working adults I knew had their's chipped.
Yeah PS1 was pirated like crazy. I bought max 4 original games on it during its time. Wipeout and Toshinden I bought at launch, Adidas Power Soccer a few weeks later, and Ace Combat 2 after a year. Every other game was just pirated.
All my friends owned chipped PS1's. I have no idea how Sony would still maintain such high software sales considering how widespread Piracy was.

Totally. It's a cost/benefit consideration. However, with higher income than teenage jobs, the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost any more, because the cost has been pushed up massively and the benefits in terms of hit to income aren't as pronounced. That also affects interest in piracy. As a business, can a solution be made to work that's worth the investment? By and large not, with hacking being a hobby more than an industry. At least in platforms that have decent enough security to elevate the costs as such!

Most people are not going to put custom firmware on their consoles. Maybe if private (illigal) companies/users do it for them, but thats abit of a stretch to see that happening in large numbers.
Check Nintendo Switch.

Modchip installation services are available

Totally. It's a cost/benefit consideration. However, with higher income than teenage jobs, the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost any more, because the cost has been pushed up massively and the benefits in terms of hit to income aren't as pronounced. That also affects interest in piracy. As a business, can a solution be made to work that's worth the investment? By and large not, with hacking being a hobby more than an industry. At least in platforms that have decent enough security to elevate the costs as such!
Yes, having spending money could result in reduction of piracy.

Steam is very good at facilitating this with their regional pricing, and local payment methods availability.

Check Nintendo Switch.

Modchip installation services are available
So I checked up on that quickly. Nintendo went after the suppliers of the chip and successfully prosecuted. Mod chip supply is limited, and reliant of clones of their work, which have a higher asking price. Currently I've read of $150 for the HWFLY chip and $150 installation. There are £70 ones on AliExpress in limited numbers. Nintendo's patch of the system has pushed up the entry price. After the debacle of previous handheld security and SD card hacks that added notable convenience at minimal cost and zero risk, I think NSW is in a much better place even if far from secure.

I had my PS2 chipped, I would have been 14 at the time in a family that would be considering as a low income and borderline in poverty.

The chip had 23 wires and cost my parents £120 and while I had a few copies games there was no one I knew who sold them so after the initial copied games I purchased I was back to asking for genuine copies again.

So £120 for honestly not much of a gain.

I would love to see Sony re-launch the 'Platinum' brand and offer qualifying games at £19.99 again.

Back