PlayStation 3 to Launch in March 2007 in Europe According to Spong

Sethamin

Newcomer
SPOnG can reveal that Sony currently plans to launch the PlayStation 3 into Europe in March of 2007, some 12 months or so behind what some optimistic gamers had hoped for.

Let us be clear, we have no lead as to when the new machine will be launched in Japan or the US (recent reports suggest September), though the date of March next year for Europe seems to be official Sony policy at time of press, disseminated to third-party developers, publishers and retail in the past week.

It would appear that Sony Computer Entertainment has briefed partners in all territories as to its launch plans in the last week, resulting no doubt in the series of leaks cropping up on-line. Our information comes from SCEE documentation leaked last week and independently corroborated by two publishing sources, a handful of developers and a leading pan-European retailer. The brief issued by Sony was, seemingly, too tempting a news piece not to leak, almost as soon as it was released.
http://news.spong.com/article/9668

Spong is crap. :cool:

...which is not to say though that a 2007 Europe launch would surprise me however, or even that their 'leak' isn't real.

I think it might as well be damage control. This way, *if* they launch December in Europe, we'll be happy, right?

Right?

I would be.

BlueTsunami said:
Spong is wet..I mean crap

I do agree with a March 2007 release for Europe.

I know i'll die for saying this, but i don't expect to be able to get my hands on a real, working PS3 before 2007 anyway, whether it lanches in Sep 06 or whatever...

london-boy said:
I know i'll die for saying this, but i don't expect to be able to get my hands on a real, working PS3 before 2007 anyway, whether it lanches in Sep 06 or whatever...

gah...I keep thinking about this silver lining about the PS3 release but I know reality will slap me in the face when the system itself is either sold out or on a pre order list for a long time. Then I wouldn't be able to get one unitl 07' either....

I really should pre order but I would rather walk into a store and buy one

I'm against pre-orders like i'm against marriage. Unless it's financially beneficial (to me), it requires a level of trust that i'm not prepared to give, therefore it's useless to me.

london-boy said:
I'm against pre-orders like i'm against marriage. Unless it's financially beneficial (to me), it requires a level of trust that i'm not prepared to give, therefore it's useless to me.

: p

Same thing here. I'm also the type that randomly pulls together funds to buy the said item. So I would one day just decide I have enough money to get a PS3 and actually go out and get one. I know this will be thwarted by lack of PS3s in my region

BlueTsunami said:
: p

Same thing here. I'm also the type that randomly pulls together funds to buy the said item. So I would one day just decide I have enough money to get a PS3 and actually go out and get one. I know this will be thwarted by lack of PS3s in my region

Same here. Impulse buying. Very gay. I mean....... not implying anything of course! :devilish:

BlueTsunami said:
gah...I keep thinking about this silver lining about the PS3 release but I know reality will slap me in the face when the system itself is either sold out or on a pre order list for a long time. Then I wouldn't be able to get one unitl 07' either....

I really should pre order but I would rather walk into a store and buy one

Won't it be sold out when it launches in March as well? So you're probably lookin at summer 07 before you can go into a store and buy one...rough

This was expected, I've been saying spring 07 for EU since last e3, I don't think anyone's really surprised by this.

london-boy said:
Same here. Impulse buying. Very gay. I mean....... not implying anything of course! :devilish:

:LOL:

I've always been like this, though my girl is usually surprised at my total random money spending nature. My fiscal responsibility sucks...

:(

scooby_dooby said:
Won't it be sold out when it launches in March as well? So you're probably lookin at summer 07 before you can go into a store and buy one...rough

This was expected, I've been saying spring 07 for EU since last e3, I don't think anyone's really surprised by this.

I live in Massachusetts and i'm thinking that the PS3 will be released in September. I'm not sure if i'll camp for the PS3 (I was on the fence about it with the 360). I think that Sony will have the same issues (in a sense) that the 360 had. Though, a Non Worldwide release should help in a way....i'm still anticipating scarce PS3s for a good part of this year for the States.

Last edited by a moderator:
for me this was expected.
PS3 will come somewhere in NOV/DEC 2006 in Japan.
But there is noway to come with the same specs.
I predict a 4GHZ CELL with 1GB RAM and 8 spe's enabled.
Also i suppose that they will come with a more advanced RSX (close to 500 programmable GFLOPS).

groper said:
for me this was expected.
PS3 will come somewhere in NOV/DEC 2006 in Japan.
But there is noway to come with the same specs.
I predict a 4GHZ CELL with 1GB RAM and 8 spe's enabled.
Also i suppose that they will come with a more advanced RSX (close to 500 programmable GFLOPS).

O_O

So, assuming that March 2007 in Europe is accurate, and also that a JPN/US launch will happen in or around September, why such a long delay? Is it because they expect demand to be so high? Or because supply will be so low? Or both?

Also (again assuming this is true), would this change any of the naysayer's minds about whether launching 360 early in Europe was a smart move?

Back