Playstation 3 e3 thread 4

london-boy said:
You mean FP32 and FP24?
Cause that would mean it's 128-bit precision throughout the pipeline.
Unless i'm missing something.

There is no FP24 anywhere (AFAIK) in X360.

DeanoC said:
Joe DeFuria said:
I'm pretty sure I read FP32....which really only makes sense given the unified nature of the pipelines.

However, this doesn't guarantee that FP blends are at FP32 precision.

Given that the shader units and framebuffer units are physically detached... XeGPU has FP32 shaders but making any assumption about the framebuffer blending would be silly.

I know...isn't that what I said? :?

What I can blend in FP32? Why didn't you tell me this? :LOL:

But anyway ATI hasn't mentioned but I heard something about FP10 blending somewhere.

Joe DeFuria said:
I know...isn't that what I said? :?
Yep, I orignally started to just confirm FP32 but then realised that people might assume I was also talking about framebuffer stuff, so quickly added that to cover my arse...

So I take from all this that we don't know whether R500 supports 128-bit HDR.

Unless DeanoC is trying to tell us something here ;-) :

DeanoC said:
No current ATI chip has FP16 blending...

p.s. Heavenly Sword looked ace.

london-boy said:
He's telling us it supports FP32 and therefore 128bit precision HDR. Unless i'm missing something.

Actually I'm going out of my way to say "Don't assume anything about framebuffer stuff"...

Pugger said:
KZ was pre-rendered and yes its not worth revisting.

95% of it was not pre-rendered, but real time.

It can be proved: We can find 2 pop-ups in the trailler... pop-ups should not be into a CG, right ?

I hope you´ve already seen the slow motion movies showing these pop-ups. It´s everyhere in the net.

I know it´s SO GREAT to the eyes that most of us simply cannot believe, but it´s true, and I´m happy for that.

Ant it was done in less than 4 months, with a beta PS3... the real thing is actually faster than the kit that rendered these KZ2 scenes in real time.

Get ready, because the actual game well be like 5% better than this trailler.

Helstar said:
Pugger said:

It can be proved: We can find 2 pop-ups in the trailler... pop-ups should not be into a CG, right ?

I hope you´ve already seen the slow motion movies showing these pop-ups. It´s everyhere in the net.

Yes they show compositing errors, KZ has been confirmed to be prerendered by the developers themself.

london-boy said:
gmoran said:
Unless DeanoC is trying to tell us something here ;-) :

DeanoC said:
No current ATI chip has FP16 blending...

He's telling us it supports FP32 and therefore 128bit precision HDR. Unless i'm missing something.

I actually think he saying that we should not assume that the XB360 supports FP-blending at all. Personally I don't care if it is FP16 or FP32 but no FP-blending would be a mayor let down.

Helstar said:
Pugger said:

Here's how offline rendering is done.
- render each important element of the scene separately, with an alpha channel mask, into a 2D image sequence
- load all the sequences into a compositing program like After Effects or Digital Fusion, and re-assemble the scene using the masks
- apply image processing effects
- render out the composite into a 2D image sequence

Reasons to do this include (there are many others though):
- ability to tweak colors, contrast, etc. and apply filters, glows, effects etc. on each element individualy
- only have re-render and replace layers that require changes, not the whole sequence
- only have to render a layer for the frames in which its contents are seen
- no need to render static objects for the whole sequence when the camera doesn't move
- 3D compositing allows you to insert texture mapped 2D planes for backgrounds, clouds, smoke and fire effects etc. etc.

The popping error is there because the compositing artist made a mistake and that certain image sequence is added into the comp a few frames later than it should be. Thus the popping does not prove that it is rendered in realtime.

Laa-Yosh its like cartoons . You make the static backround and then another clear layer with the characters and moveable objects to save time and money :)

Of course it goes like that. Ever heard the term 3D matte painting? You model a simple 3D set and project a nice painting on it from the camera's POV, so now you can even move the camera around quite a bit. We're using this all the time, because camera paths in cinematics / CG movies are always locked and so, why spend resources on modeling something if you only see it from one angle?

Please tell me i'm hallucinating... We can't be talking about the game that cannot be named shown at the Sony conference AGAIN.

Poor Geeforcer already exploded once, there's not many Life1+ coins available.

I dont get why people are still going on about that game. There are more interesting games in development or have been announced for the PS3, and will probably(or most likely) end up being better than that game regardless of how the graphics looks or end up looking......

mckmas8808 said:
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vid_
1134552.html?mu=http%3A%2F%2Fstreamingmovies.ign.com%2Fps3%2Farticle%2F617%2F617862%2Fg4_e305live_day3_jtretton_wmvlow.wmv

Watch and learn something. Listen real good Laa-Yosh and jvd. Just listen. :)

he seemed pretty hesitant and kept using 'real gamplay' over and over. no sale.

EDIT: turns he vice pres of Marking = case closed

Back