Playstation 3 e3 thread 4

he seemed pretty hesitant and kept using 'real gamplay' over and over. no sale.

Oh yeah I forgot those words. "Real Gameplay" Why did he say that. Darn.

I think you really just wanted him to say "No it was CGI". Look the man said Real Gameplay and he said it a couple of times to get it through your head.

Case closed.
________
HARLEY-DAVIDSON F

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim said:
I actually think he saying that we should not assume that the XB360 supports FP-blending at all. Personally I don't care if it is FP16 or FP32 but no FP-blending would be a mayor let down.

No FP blending = no HDR ? :?

I need answers! ;)

ON killzone enough is enough , we have the developer saying its a representation of what the look and feel of the game will be like . That right htee is all we need to know its not real time other wise the developer would have said yes this is the game engine and this is what the game will be .

Acert93 said:
No FP blending = no HDR ? :?

I need answers! ;)
No Fp blending equals no "real" HDR, that's true.
But you could always fake HDR-like effects, like what PS2/Xbox games do (or even HL² on the PC).

DigitalSoul said:
I dont get why people are still going on about that game. There are more interesting games in development or have been announced for the PS3, and will probably(or most likely) end up being better than that game regardless of how the graphics looks or end up looking......

Because it looked kick *** maybe? I mean in what was going on as well though.

I just watche that G4 vid and the US SCEA president says that Killzone was rendered realtime.

Believe what you will but that's what the guy said. IMO the action was just too intense! What I mean to say is that I don't think the visuals are out of grasp, but the level of interaction was just too sick...that had to be a bunch of scripted events. (yes I know the whole thing was scripted for the demo, I'm talking about any claims that this was during gameplay) Perhaps a real-time cut scene, but not actual gameplay...I just can't believe that unless I see it for myself.

When I think of the visuals alone and what Killzone means to the PS3 things make sense enough. Killzone has had to have been in the works for a long time and for very good reason. Killzone will be the game to answer Halo3 in for Sony...no other game really even has a chance...none...and I still think it'll lose in overall sales, but it'll serve it's purpose well.

scificube said:
DigitalSoul said:
I dont get why people are still going on about that game. There are more interesting games in development or have been announced for the PS3, and will probably(or most likely) end up being better than that game regardless of how the graphics looks or end up looking......

Because it looked kick *** maybe? I mean in what was going on as well though.

I just watche that G4 vid and the US SCEA president says that Killzone was rendered realtime.

Believe what you will but that's what the guy said. IMO the action was just too intense! What I mean to say is that I don't think the visuals are out of grasp, but the level of interaction was just too sick...that had to be a bunch of scripted events. (yes I know the whole thing was scripted for the demo, I'm talking about any claims that this was during gameplay) Perhaps a real-time cut scene, but not actual gameplay...I just can't believe that unless I see it for myself.

When I think of the visuals alone and what Killzone means to the PS3 things make sense enough. Killzone has had to have been in the works for a long time and for very good reason. Killzone will be the game to answer Halo3 in for Sony...no other game really even has a chance...none...and I still think it'll lose in overall sales, but it'll serve it's purpose well.

Where is that G4 vid with the SCEA guy? Do you have a link? I haven't seen that.

Murakami said:
Vysez said:
But you could always fake HDR-like effects, like what PS2/Xbox games do (or even HL² on the PC).
PS2 games with a fake HDR? Maybe MGS3?

No. That was bloom and bloom alone. HDR is a totally different beast.

Personally I like HDR and all but mentions of the usage of global illumination is what got my eye...get it...oh I give up.

OMG guys you are taking it SO OUT OF CONTEXT!!! In the previous thread, guys who have worked on CGI farms, who have actually PROGRAMMED for the damned consoles and who gathered YEARS of experience with this stuff, have EXPLICITLY stated that the two killer-apps of PS3 (KillZone and MotorStorm) could NOT be rendered in real-time, at least not on this generation of consoles, why is it so for you to grasp (especially those of you with zero to no knowledge in the field)?! Biasing to one particular company or another is completely POINTLESS and the makes a moot point in the long run. I'm not biased to ANY company, and i personally wish the best to MS and SONY at bringing their consoles up to the challenge of meeting these EXTREME standards set by Sony's demonstration, and i'm sure that 2nd and third generation games will really outshine the current consoles in many areas and will demonstrate most of the features seen in these trailers, though not in those EXACT ammounts as sony execs expect us to believe. Look, i know that some of the fanboys here are not going to agree with my anyway and i don't intend to put my head to the gallows anytime soon, but Phil Harrison is a MARKETING GUY, it's all a PR machine, and those that actualy took their valueable times to retort at his claims were bashed for being ignorant - well fuck you 2, i think that in this case, the only ignorant people are those that have NOTHING to provide to backup their claims, and you guys, lack a solid base for backfiring.

Now on to the trailers themselves (KillZone and MotoRacer): i think it's safe to assume that the camera angles utilized within them and the scripting was all intentional right, i mean, no one actually expects all that was happening on the screen there to be calculated real-time, at least i hope so... the graphics themselves, their quality, as i mentioned already, are WAY too CG-like, and as had been mentioned in previous threads, CGI-producing companies would be hampered by such an insane amount of details, and the power on their rendering farms is much more powerful that what the PS3 or the XBOX 360 are capable of, so what are we debating here again?! Sure, some of the graphics COULD BE in-game assets (as was suggested by Phil in the interview), but surely the scenes we all witnessed were NOT and i repeat NOT rendered in Real-Time (all the other demos were real-time worthy material on the other hand).

Now let's take a simple logic (and stay with me on this one): if we compare the PS3 and the XBOX 360 the difference is really minimal: both possess cpus by IBM (the PS3 being more of a collaboration between Sony and Tosthiba but nevertheless) running on 3.2Ghz, the GPUS RSX and ATI's new chip are BOTH of the same generation (i assume RSX is unified vertex & pixel shading platform as well) and the clockspeeds are pretty much lined up, so do you actually expect the PS3 to procure CG-level graphics on a platform that is A BIT MORE POWERFUL as it's nearest competitor, decimating the XBOX360 but AT LEAST 2 more generations? i VERY MUCH doubt that! As a support to the claim above, you can read the various interviews on the web taken from EPIC for instance, where they were caught on tape saying that the NEXT GENERATION hardware (read: ps3 and Xbox360) will really provide an experience unlike any other and allow them to do things previously unimaginable and so they consider BOTH platforms, plus or minus a few nifty features, to be a good representation of THE NEXT GEN - so the distinction made between the two consoles is reallly quiet outrageous - PS3 is NOT THAT MUCH MORE POWERFUL than the XBOX360 (and we're not sure of that anyway) to leapfrog two whole generations to CGI-quality visuals while leaving MS behind in the dust!!! I sure as hell HOPE that the videos were an indication of what's TO COME in the near future in terms of the quality they're SHOOTING for, and both MS and Sony could benefit from this level of expectation, and hell, i'm buying both machines just for the sake of it cause i enjoy playing games and gawking at the marvel that is NEXT-GEN visuals each new generation, but let's not exagerrate the obvious - THESE WERE NOT REAL-TIME DEMOS PER SE (some materials could be IN-GAME REALTIME assets IN THE FUTURE, but that's about it), and i'm sure that by 2006 we'll figure that out for ourselves (and NVIDIA will introduce a PC part on par with RSX anyway, so hopefully, this debate will be settled once and for all).

P.S
Instead of actually DISCUSSING the probabliliy of meeting these sort of graphics in the future, and examining the resources needed to accomplish that goal (which would make for a SERIOUSLY more engrossing discussion), we are halved into two camps: one is claiming that the trailers are real-time, having been proven time and time again that aside for a few assets, that is IMPLAUSIBLE, but their overthrowing love and bias for sony overcomes any rational thinking, and the other camp are the more down-to-earth type of guys, who like me, would love to bask in all of that greatness, but remain JUSTIFIABLY skeptical and purveying all the right reasons for being in that state) but who are failing miserably to convince the other camp to accept at least partially their point of view) - so the impending question is - will it ever end?

alexok:

Please sir or mame...calm down!

First off if you're calling me biased then you're way off base. As of right now I own every Nintendo console that's ever existed and a crapload of games to play on them. So with respect to consoles if for anyone I would the leaning towards with a biased view it would be them.

That said...their E3 sucked...you know why? Because I'm not a fanboi and I don't appreciate being called one.

By the way I have an Xbox and a really fast gaming PC too...I hope that doesn't mean I hate Macs and and wish Bill Gates to be the next US president.

Breathe slowly or something, but please try to chill out a bit.

No one said the other guys were lying so far in the new thread as far as I know, but if we should elect to have a different opinion well that's our prerogative. People do that from time to time.

Now as far as what you said about the consoles...I disagree with you. The differences will be significant AT LEAST between the other consoles and Nintendo's console codenamed Revolution. It's simply about going in a different direction and there's little chance we'll see HW of the same caliber as what's in the Xbox360 and the PS3 in the space of a "few stacked DVDs." Many a Nintendo figure head has plainly said they are not going the route of MS and Sony with having very very powerful consoles but rather going their own path where things are more accessible to all people not just gamers, where it's easier to buy the system, and costs less to make a game for it. Whether you believe Nintendo or not is totally up to you.

With respect to the PS3 and the Xbox360...there is no comparison on the CPU side...the Cell is the victor. On the GPU side it appears to be a wash or at least to inconclusive to say at this point. How this will affect games is anyone's guess but IF the PS3 can pull of what these demos supposedly portray it can then it's fair to say there is a significant difference between the PS3 and the Xbox360. It's very telling the Mr. Allard is now pulling a page out of Nintendo's book and saying that it's all about the games now while graphics are nice...but before the show it was the HD-ERA and all that jazz.

See though...non of this will upset you if have no particular bias any way or the other. It's simply a collection of what you know, what you think you know, and what you don't know. Actually there's nothing wrong with a bias as it's good and well people should have a preference to the things they like and dislike but what you're talking about is blatant fanboyism. This is when things aren't to your liking or your view of how things are...it pisses you off and since you can't change reality you try to twist people's perceptions of it and/or your own but if that doesn't work you just flip out and attack what threatens the persistence of the illusion you have conjured up to make yourself feel good.

Not calling you a fanboi, but one good turn deserves another. I really don't know you so it would be wrong for me to say that about you.

aleksok: This is rehashed in every PS3-related thread. Phil made some comments that have been recorded and people are now willing to wait and see. But honestly, what's going on in those two vids that makes them impossible when we're getting HS as probably a first-gen title on the PS3, and GoW as first-gen on arguably weaker hardware? Is KZ2 so OMGWTFBBQ better than those two titles? Maybe those two titles have maxxed out the hardwar. :rolleyes: I know people said to keep expectations in check this gen, but not to the point of ignorance. PEACE.

Guys drop the subject or the thread will be locked

We have the designer saying it was a representation adn then phill harris saying it was real . So we don't know either way and there is no point in bringing it up .

jvd:
I'd incline to believe the designer more so than Phil Harrison, lest we forget that he is a PR GUY... i think it speaks volumes for itself.

scificube:
It's a sir.
1) I didn't include the Nintendo Revolution in my comparision, and i don't know why you mentioned it, but i do agree with you that Nintendo are taking a different direction with this one, so it would be kinda pointless to include it in our discussion, since it's blatantly obvious that it's not as powerful as an XBox360 or the PS3.

2) Well, CELL might be the winner, FLOP wise, but if you're judging that based on the diagrams SONY provided, you might as well take a gander on the PS2 diagrams as they represented a MAJOR FLOP advantage over everything else (including the fastest at the time P3) and was still crushed to it's bones once it came out (i.e didn't meet it's expectations), so taking this position, i think that you demonstrate more of the fanboy syndrome than i am since i took a direct comparison of what i KNOW and what i ASSUME (i surmise you've kept yourself updated on the happenings at the PC scene, where each generation of graphics cards was pretty much on par - both for ATI & NVIDIA) and you just ASSUMED that the future will align itself in Sony's favor) and as i told you already, I'm NOT biased to any of companies and i'd like to believe than neither of us are...

3) I happen to understand much about 3D Graphics and considering all the info i gleaned on both consoles (and IF the graphics chips are fighting over the same grounds), PS3 graphics demonstrated by the two trailers are EITHER in the territory of PLAUSIBLE and LIKELY quality (which i find simply preposterous - see my last post) OR will be attainable by BOTH the PS3 and XBOX360 in their lifecycles.

I believe the designer myself but it doesn't matter just drop it . That will be the last post on the subject

alexsok said:
jvd:
I'd incline to believe the designer more so than Phil Harrison, lest we forget that he is a PR GUY... i think it speaks volumes for itself.

scificube:
It's a sir.
1) I didn't include the Nintendo Revolution in my comparision, and i don't know why you mentioned it, but i do agree with you that Nintendo are taking a different direction with this one, so it would be kinda pointless to include it in our discussion, since it's blatantly obvious that it's not as powerful as an XBox360 or the PS3.

2) Well, CELL might be the winner, FLOP wise, but if you're judging that based on the diagrams SONY provided, you might as well take a gander on the PS2 diagrams as they represented a MAJOR FLOP advantage over everything else (including the fastest at the time P3) and was still crushed to it's bones once it came out (i.e didn't meet it's expectations), so taking this position, i think that you demonstrate more of the <bleep> syndrome than i am since i took a direct comparison of what i KNOW and what i ASSUME (i surmise you've kept yourself updated on the happenings at the PC scene, where each generation of graphics cards was pretty much on par - both for ATI & NVIDIA) and you just ASSUMED that the future will align itself in Sony's favor) and as i told you already, I'm NOT biased to any of companies and i'd like to believe than neither of us are...

3) I happen to understand much about 3D Graphics and considering all the info i gleaned on both consoles (and IF the graphics chips are fighting over the same grounds), PS3 graphics demonstrated by the two trailers are EITHER in the territory of PLAUSIBLE and LIKELY quality (which i find simply preposterous - see my last post) OR will be attainable by BOTH the PS3 and XBOX360 in their lifecycles.

If you're saying you know more than me about PC graphics or even the history of graphics then I'll take your word for it.

I know what I know and that's all I know.

I only brought up Nintendo to illustrate the point that I am not biased and to be inclusive if anything really.

Look I'm not trying to have a fight with you as to whether I think PS3 or Xbox360 is more powerful. I said plainly what I thought and I didn't say anything I think was unfair of either of them. I too looked at the numbers, the capabilities of each respective console and how hard it would be to turn potential into kinetic and came up with my view of things.

If you want to know how I got there that's fine as I'm sure I'll learn something, but please believe I'm not simply buying into PR and hype. I don't claim to know much, but I do make an effort to know what it is I'm looking at before I form an opinion about it. You'd find that out about me if we talked about our differing views but I'm sure you've talked about and we'd be talking about a whole lot of things we've been over before. I don't think either of us just came to think as we do in an instant so I'm content to let it be...but it's up to you. Like I said...I might learn something.

I'm opening this but no more discusion on killzone and if its real or not . There is no reason to debate we have conflicting info from the designer and phil harrison and neither side is going to change thier mind

Back