Pinball: Next Gen

Awesome! Confusing it is now Pinball FX again but ok. Going to check if this is also out in Europe tonight!

It is! And omg is the list of VR games huge. Guess I have been too busy to pay attention.

First impressions: great! What you want and expect basically :). Only downsides: bit pricey, and some lines have bad aliasing and others don't. More tables visible in the room would be nice too (you have to configure which three), and they should leave the ball trail off by default.

Secretly hope this will get a Pro patch with some more sharpness.

Last edited:
It's been out for a week now. I'm really enjoying it. I had to move the camera to a different spot, though. It used to sit on top of my tv. I guess the fact that you spend most of your time looking down while playing this game really messed up the tracking on my end. Now it sits below the tv and it works much better. My guess is that it has a much easier time tracking the leds on the lower side of the headset.

The business model that comes with the thing can fuck right off though. They really need to stop it with the price gouging if they ever want VR to become a widespread success. Why can't I buy just the tables that I want. I already own Epic Quest. I don't like Epic Quest.

I noticed that if I play it sitting down, the viewpoint drifts, but played standing it's very stable.
My camera is atop the TV, and I usually play most VR games standing up. Other games that I play sitting work well as there's little need to constantly look down.
I've even considered buying a second camera that I'd put below the tv and switch between them without needing to readjust, just change the cables behind PS4.
Maybe the ideal position would be in the midpoint between below and top of TV, somewhere beside the TV. But somehow it just doesn't feel natural not to stand directly in front of TV while playing :)

I had the same feeling first as well, but gotten used to playing it sitting down. Also I would like an in-game option to move the table position, but using the Option button to recalibrate you can easily manipulate that as well. Because I look down a lot though (feels natural), it does make you feel the weight of the headset a bit more and my neck-muscles are getting a bit more of a workout. ;) I also moved the position of the rear band from below my skull (recommended position) to the back of my skull, which tilts it a bit and gives a slightly better angle for looking down more. Camera is below my screen, but my screen is a bit higher up (moved the PSVR into my study with the PS4 Pro).

I've been playing it a lot this morning. Really loving it, and in particular the CastleStorm table looks amazing, with new lighting effects looking really great. And even the old tables they picked in the classics pack, that don't look quite as great and there are some aliassing issues still, it almost blows you away how different it is to see the table like this. It also feels easier to play like this, definitely.

I've uploaded 15 mins of gameplay of the CastleStorm table here (still processing):

How different it is when you have this on VR is staggering. The table is just there before you. You can lean over. The only thing this video conveys really is how your head moves in VR to look at the table, but because it does, it does give an impression that it is more natural and 3D. But having a big table in front of you in VR though, it's awesome (and quickly also feels normal, except for some of the magic things happening in these games ;) ).

I don't think this has any Pro upgrades yet?

I think I'll mostly be buying some of the new tables too, because I have played the old ones just so much already. But I will probably not be able to resist if some of the old favorites show up. Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but I have been able to bring the cheap tables from the PS3 to the Vita and the PS4 already, so for me it's acceptable that the extra effort to support VR (they even supported 3D TVs for free) costs a bit of extra money. It's still only like 4 gos on a real table if you count the price per table, but yeah, perhaps allow us to buy the tables individually instead.

I had the same feeling first as well, but gotten used to playing it sitting down. Also I would like an in-game option to move the table position, but using the Option button to recalibrate you can easily manipulate that as well. Because I look down a lot though (feels natural), it does make you feel the weight of the headset a bit more and my neck-muscles are getting a bit more of a workout. ;) I also moved the position of the rear band from below my skull (recommended position) to the back of my skull, which tilts it a bit and gives a slightly better angle for looking down more. Camera is below my screen, but my screen is a bit higher up (moved the PSVR into my study with the PS4 Pro).

I've been playing it a lot this morning. Really loving it, and in particular the CastleStorm table looks amazing, with new lighting effects looking really great. And even the old tables they picked in the classics pack, that don't look quite as great and there are some aliassing issues still, it almost blows you away how different it is to see the table like this. It also feels easier to play like this, definitely.

I've uploaded 15 mins of gameplay of the CastleStorm table here (still processing):

How different it is when you have this on VR is staggering. The table is just there before you. You can lean over. The only thing this video conveys really is how your head moves in VR to look at the table, but because it does, it does give an impression that it is more natural and 3D. But having a big table in front of you in VR though, it's awesome (and quickly also feels normal, except for some of the magic things happening in these games ;) ).

I don't think this has any Pro upgrades yet?

I think I'll mostly be buying some of the new tables too, because I have played the old ones just so much already. But I will probably not be able to resist if some of the old favorites show up. Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but I have been able to bring the cheap tables from the PS3 to the Vita and the PS4 already, so for me it's acceptable that the extra effort to support VR (they even supported 3D TVs for free) costs a bit of extra money. It's still only like 4 gos on a real table if you count the price per table, but yeah, perhaps allow us to buy the tables individually instead.
Do the new tables support 3D TVs now? Because I only played a game in my 3D TV, Crysis (X360), using the capabilities of the TV in that sense, but I never experienced that again, ever since. Aside from a bit of ghosting,it was a good and different, experience for me.

All of Zen Pinball 2 on PS3 and PS4 supports 3D tvs. You don't need to (and shouldn't) buy the VR edition for that. You'll be surprised at how great it looks, but if your 3D tv is laggy you will notice of course.

All of Zen Pinball 2 on PS3 and PS4 supports 3D tvs. You don't need to (and shouldn't) buy the VR edition for that. You'll be surprised at how great it looks, but if your 3D tv is laggy you will notice of course.
I shall see if the option is available in the X360 version, the menus of Pinball FX 2 are so so in that sense, imho.

Talking of pinballs, who doesn't remember this one? :D

I go all the way back through Pro Pinball on PC and Fantasy Pinball / Pinball Illusions on Amiga all the way to

It's weird to look at non-VR Pinball again. Honestly, it feels like going a decade back in time at least. VR spoilt me.

Pinball Arcade will lose the Bally/Williams license on June 30th, so remember to buy before then. Unfortunately, they say the terms of the license precludes them from any sale pricing, so $30 a season it is. (Curious terms, as a bunch of games that have been pulled recently due to licensing issues have had last-minute sales.). There's a list of expiring tables and their corresponding season in the comments, but here's a copy.
hmmm well, I shouldn't lose my tables then. I purchased the game a few years ago. The licensing price was huge. For just a few tables I've spent 120€, price of the game aside. Gotta say that I didn't get the equivalent return for that. The game is not bad and all, but it never clicked with me as much as Visual Pinball for the PC and Pinball FX 1 & 2

Back