PhyreEngine - New Hotness Sponsored by Sony? (moved)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by ChryZ, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Wow, that's still impressive! 1200$, I mean, for a small startup, that's peanuts, especially if you can develop in part on PCs, as I would assume. It seems pretty complete too, with lots of connectors and support for other libraries (Havok, Collada) ...

Now, if as Titanio says, they can solve the part where you can cheaply and easily submit your game for publishing on PSN, that would bring it quite up to speed ...

#21 Arwin, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  2. Crossbar

Veteran

He should be, "Dirt" plays and looks remarkebly good to be a first generation PS3 game. I am really looking forward to the sequel.

Would be really sweet if they made the PhyreEngine available to hobbyists, what is there to lose?

Where does the $1200 number come from? Is that an annual renting fee for a dev kit?

3. Arwin

Moderator Legend

It's great to see that Jason's project is moving so close to the vision he had of it late 2006 before the PS3 was launched, in that excellent review by Carl B posted above:

4. patsu

Legend

Is the debug kit needed only because of code signing ? If the technology enables development on Windows and deployment on PS3 today, then what's left is the business model and processes.

5. Arwin

Moderator Legend

There was a small but interesting comment from Mario on Neogaf, who apparently works for the company that put out Gripshift:

6. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

This thread is also interesting to recall, as it highlights some of the advances the PSSG/Phyre team were working on ahead of last GDC. (post #5)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=39858

The impression I get today is that they've gone forward from there in terms of the terrain and lighting system, and more systems in general have been moved increasingly to the SPE's.

#26 Carl B, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  7. whome0

Newcomer

Now thats a nice piece of information. GripShift PSN is a quite good achievement, good game with solid gameplay. And they used an early-PhyreEngine to develop PSN and XBLA versions?

$1200 is too much to pay for getting own hobby project running on PS3, and then not much hope to give it to the community. But I dream Sony someday gives us PSN-game-youtube. I could buy X360, but I like more PS3 so my options are there.

8. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

9. ChryZ

Veteran

SCE Announces PHYRE ENGINE 2.40 (PS3)

Phyre Engine GDC 09: Developer Walkthrough HD

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47235.html

"... and we got a zombie" :D

10. patsu

Legend

Nice find ! The demo looks beautiful. The narrator mentioned 24 dynamic lights based on deferred lighting, volumetric fog, etc in the trailer. Seems heavily used by the smaller developers.

11. ChryZ

Veteran

SCEE R&D released the slides of their presentations:
    http://research.scee.net/presentations

2009 Game Developer Conference - PhyreEngine™ - Deferred Lighting and Post Processing on PLAYSTATION®3
    http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/gdc2009/DeferredLightingandPostProcessingonPS3.ppt

2008 Game Developer Conference - PhyreEngine™
    http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/gdc2008/PhyreEngine-GDC2008.pdf

2008 CESA Developers Conference - PhyreEngine™ Terrain
    http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/cedec2008/PhyreEngine_CEDEC2008Slides_e.pdf

2008 CESA Developers Conference - PhyreEngine™ Terrain
    http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/cedec2008/PhyreEngine_CEDEC2008Speech_e.pdf

Should be an interesting read for some of you.

12. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Thanks for the presentations ChryZ - very much appreciated.

It seems SCEE's work on this suite has been paying off in the last year with some building momentum among developers.

13. scificube

Regular

Indeed. They have been doing good work for a while now.

14. ChryZ

Veteran

Cheers, guys.

I'm very intrigued by what they're doing. The RSX<->SPU stuff reminds me a lot of PS2's GS<->EE synergy. It's what enabled Killzone2's visuals, but the tech is now available to pretty much every PS3 dev. They can use the engine, just look at the source code or even copy pieces of it. This should be interesting and well worth to follow.

15. 2real4tv

Veteran

Shouldn't this be in the Console Technology section?

16. damienw

Regular

If this basically means that all that money Sony invested in KZ2 is now gonna benefit ALL PS3 devs, then this could be a big thing for PS3 programming, moving forward. I would love for a lot more games to have such impressive lighting/physics/particles/etc.

It sounds like this is finally becoming the realization of some of Sony's early boasts of the PS3's power.

17. DJ12

Veteran

The tools used for Killzone were the "edge" tools, not the PhyreEngine tools.

18. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Didn't a lot of the Edge stuff go into PhyreEngine though? Anyway, it's a very good move. I'm still hoping that one day you can download the PC version without having to fully registery yourself as a developer... then Sony will have its own high performance version of XNA, basically.

19. TheWretched

Regular

Seems likely... many of the things mentioned in the recent Phyre Engine pdfs from GDC where mentioned earlier in some Edge pdfs. Stuff like the culling and skinning on SPUs etc... (the videos of the "The Getaway" tech demo for example)

20. ChryZ

Veteran

There is no Edge code in Phyre.