Persona 5 (by Atlus) [PS3, PS4]

P5 looks incredibly stylish. The characters are wonderfully expressive during the cut-scenes as well. Not photorealistic by any means, but unlike in ME:A, the facial animations work. An angry face looks properly angry, a sad face looks properly sad, and nobody's face ever looks like Donkey Kong's from a side view. Sure, the little avatar portraits are minimally animated during conversations, but they still look beautiful and convey the right emotions. They are also very much in line with what you'd expect from this particular art style. This is called spending your budget wisely. The artists didn't bite off more then they could chew, and as a result they didn't create a game with a tattoo right on its forehead that reads look-how-garbage-I-look.

Yes artstyle is important they don't have uncanny valley problem. It is like a Japanese anime.

Last edited:
You can't really compare a fighting game with 3 lines of dialogue to animate properly (it's the same scene over and over again) with a game that has 100 hours or so worth of dialogues.
GG looks spectacular and I love it to death. But it's not comparable.
And it's also a stylistic choice.

Also, if we're comparing the cutscenes, then Persona has some brilliant animation going on.

True, btw compare the P5 video which was and notice the difference between the main character and the bad guy in the 3D realtime cutscene; it is as if only the bad guy has proper facial animations. So yes they are capable of them, but not all characters receive the same care.

The "anime" scenes are amazing btw. They should start a season immediately :D

OK, second game release this generation that makes me tempted to get a PS4 (first being Bloodborne). Been watching a stream of it on Twitch and I really want to play it. Not enough to fork out the cash for a console, however. But still, an amazing game and an amazing accomplishment.

Also worth noting that they manage to make a multiple hour tutorial not drag on. The first few hours (which basically serve as the game tutorial) are engrossing and make you want to keep playing rather than making you wish they'd just get it over with already like other games that have done something similar (like FFXIII).

Here's to hoping that Atlus releases a Switch version of the game. They've mentioned they might be looking into it but that it wasn't in their original licensing deal with Nintendo for Switch titles. (crossing fingers)

Regards,
SB

So I've been slowly getting into this game. I must say, it does require your brain to reorganise itself a little. It's very much an old school rpg and personally I had become accustomed to modern fast-paced fast-everything kind of interfaces. It's also a total Japanese fest of a game, and proudly so. Which is very different from my last few years of games, which have been very much western or westernised.
Still, it's very gripping and I haven't even gone past the initial stages.

played it for 4 hours yesterday, damn the menus and everything is so damn slick ! Damn u Atlas for not letting me take screenshots !
I like the tone and also the music over Persona 4. The story gripped me more in 4 but I have just started with this one, so will give it time. Its just that murders felt more serious and real and well personal than accidents . We had a tighter motive in P4Golden.
But love the aesthetics, the characters, the music especially in this one. oh, and did I mention the menus ! :love:

Yeah

This and Nier automata is superb, superb play, superb music, superb story presentation... But Fucking ugly image quality.

Low Rez textures in a lot of places in persona 5. Reused objects too. Blargh.

But Omigod! I only bothered by those stuff in the first few minutes. After that...

!!!! Bloody amazing game and a visual feast!

OK, second game release this generation that makes me tempted to get a PS4 (first being Bloodborne). Been watching a stream of it on Twitch and I really want to play it. Not enough to fork out the cash for a console, however. But still, an amazing game and an amazing accomplishment.

Also worth noting that they manage to make a multiple hour tutorial not drag on. The first few hours (which basically serve as the game tutorial) are engrossing and make you want to keep playing rather than making you wish they'd just get it over with already like other games that have done something similar (like FFXIII).

Here's to hoping that Atlus releases a Switch version of the game. They've mentioned they might be looking into it but that it wasn't in their original licensing deal with Nintendo for Switch titles. (crossing fingers)

Regards,
SB

It available in ps3 too. Ps3 second hand is cheap nowadays maybe

WOw, i am getting my ass handed to me ! Persona 4 let me for some time, but this one is beating me to pulp right on !
Just beat the guard at the gym/castle where the Statue of kamoshida is and every fight is life or death now.
Anything I am missing here? I have bought new gear for all, but apparently thats not enough

From memory, I didn't die a lot except maybe boss fights. At the beginning you shouldn't die a lot, if at all. As long as you keep hitting enemies with their weakness, you're good to go.

I still have to finish this game, actually!

From memory, I didn't die a lot except maybe boss fights. At the beginning you shouldn't die a lot, if at all. As long as you keep hitting enemies with their weakness, you're good to go.

I still have to finish this game, actually!

SP finishes so fast and I don't see anyway of refilling SP uptill now. Maybe I am missing something.

SP finishes so fast and I don't see anyway of refilling SP uptill now. Maybe I am missing something.

Yeah. You can't. You will find things later on to re-fill it, but the point of the game is careful management of time. You'll have to go out of the castles (using precious time) and go back in to "recharge".

Also! Persona is not a "grind and level up" kind of rpg. You'll always be just the right level to complete a dungeon, as long as you manage your time correctly.
Eventually you do get access to some 'grinding' dungeons, which hep, but even that won't get you to situations like in FF games where you can just overkill even bosses.
It's a very well balanced game.

Ok making progress but something has happened which I dont know how it happened and I cant make it go away.
whenever a fight starts, Ryuji gets the first turn and not Joker ! Why is this happening? Joker is th eparty leader I have checked twice but yet each fight starts with me in control opf Ryuji and then Joker.
I hate it cos I have my custom personas on Joker and thats where I can change according to weaknesses of enemies. How do I make Joker get the first turn again ?

Back