Persona 5 (by Atlus) [PS3, PS4]

Really slick indeed. I just hope they did something about the drab dungeons. 9+ floor monstrosities constructed of identical corridors just get old. Dungeons were the chief reason I never finished Persona 4 Golden. That and also the absurd length of the damn thing. Spent nearly 90 hours with it, and apparently I had another 30+ hours in font of me. If the story would have gone anywhere this wouldn't have been too bad, but 90 hours of chasing wrong leads eventually got on my nerves.

Really slick indeed. I just hope they did something about the drab dungeons. 9+ floor monstrosities constructed of identical corridors just get old. Dungeons were the chief reason I never finished Persona 4 Golden. That and also the absurd length of the damn thing. Spent nearly 90 hours with it, and apparently I had another 30+ hours in font of me. If the story would have gone anywhere this wouldn't have been too bad, but 90 hours of chasing wrong leads eventually got on my nerves.
Dungeons are more handmade this time with light puzzles and a constant stealth mechanic to surprise enemies. Seems they knew th edungeons were a constant deja vu and worked them by hand this time. I think thats what this video says.

As for length, welll, i have spent more than that on Witcher 3, no one minds if one is enjoying. Sadly, my Vita is mostly with someone elese so I never got to finish Persona 4. I liked the dungeons, its the sim stuff that got tedious for me sometimes.

I've been looking at these trailers for a little while and the game looks really interesting. Never played a Persona game before. Can anyone compare it to other games so I get an idea of what it actually is? It's not easy to see from the videos :)

It's a very traditional, turn-based, Japanese role playing game with a bit of time management thrown in. When you aren't traipsing through lengthy dungeons, you have to attend school where you take classes, choose between various school projects and afternoon sports. You also go on school trips and take on jobs during the holidays. During all of that You'll gradually form relationships with other people. People who'll usually end up in your party. There's also a wee bit of a Pokemon aspect to the whole thing because you aren't really fighting by yourself, but via the hundreds of creatures you collect over the course of the game. These are your Personas. You can also fuse these Personas together to evolve them into more powerful ones.
I only played Persona 4 (PS2) and Persona 4 Golden (Vita). Very enjoyable games, but so damn massive I eventually lost interest in them. You need a lot of patience for these games. I also cannot stand the overwhelming amount of terminology you have to come to grips with in order to enjoy the combat. Essentially you have the same attacks in your arsenal as you'd have in every other jrpg. Your lightnings, your fires, waters, dark, light and physical attacks. Except they are not called like that at all. It takes a while until you can tell your Mabufus from your Marakukajas.

"Essential" rating from Eurogamer. That said, hard to spot the review amidst all the fangirl-frothing. She says dungeons are improved. I guess that's something. I'd like to know how exactly, though. In Persona 4 you got all these randomly generated hallways - each one with a bit of a color swap, yeah! - and they never seemed to bloody end. For the life of me I cannot understand how this aspect of the series never seemed to draw any sorts of criticism. Apparently it was even worse in the older games.

"Essential" rating from Eurogamer. That said, hard to spot the review amidst all the fangirl-frothing. She says dungeons are improved. I guess that's something. I'd like to know how exactly, though. In Persona 4 you got all these randomly generated hallways - each one with a bit of a color swap, yeah! - and they never seemed to bloody end. For the life of me I cannot understand how this aspect of the series never seemed to draw any sorts of criticism. Apparently it was even worse in the older games.
The main dungeons are not random anymore in P5 and there is emphasis on stealth:

Persona 5’s main dungeons are not random. Each has a set layout, and they’re more linear. That might sound like a downgrade, but these dungeons have a lot more personality....These dungeons also have a much greater emphasis on stealth. You’re not exploring a dungeon — you’re “infiltrating” it.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/03/29/persona-5-review/

People complain reasonably about bad facial animations in some of the recent games but what is this?

It can not be more cheap as this. Two pictures for each mouth movement and thats it? I've seen better in Metal Gear Solid 2 a long time ago. To talk with such bad animated 2D characters would be very boring in a game where speaking is a large part of the play time.

Something like that could probably not be taken serious by me since I would rather laugh. ^^

Last edited:
It would be called consistent and fair by me. For me the same standards apply and there are no excuses. I complained about Horizon and Mass Effect and this looks even 10 years worse.
I can hardly imagine anything more boring than talking with such badly animated characters for hours.

Damn, man I was so ready to spend money on the disc for this game as Atlus said that all std editions wil come with a ds4 skin inside th eobx but my local reviewer says his copy did not have it :cry::mad:
Is it US only? EU only? Can any of u guys here who buy it confirm if u get a ds4 skin in there? I am so bloody bummed by this. I was so looking for ward to my persona 5 slick and sexy ds4 ! I had given it out for repair in preparation for this ! The damn thing had been in my drawer for months while I played with Hori pad not even caring to get the ds4 repaired !

So you've never seen an anime or any cartoon?

Of course but none of the recent ones has as simple animations as this game (linked video from above in which they just open their mouth). There are even better animated cartoons from the 1930ies. Anime movies are also much better than this.

P5 looks incredibly stylish. The characters are wonderfully expressive during the cut-scenes as well. Not photorealistic by any means, but unlike in ME:A, the facial animations work. An angry face looks properly angry, a sad face looks properly sad, and nobody's face ever looks like Donkey Kong's from a side view. Sure, the little avatar portraits are minimally animated during conversations, but they still look beautiful and convey the right emotions. They are also very much in line with what you'd expect from this particular art style. This is called spending your budget wisely. The artists didn't bite off more then they could chew, and as a result they didn't create a game with a tattoo right on its forehead that reads look-how-garbage-I-look.

Last edited:
Damn, man I was so ready to spend money on the disc for this game as Atlus said that all std editions wil come with a ds4 skin inside th eobx but my local reviewer says his copy did not have it :cry::mad:
Is it US only? EU only? Can any of u guys here who buy it confirm if u get a ds4 skin in there? I am so bloody bummed by this. I was so looking for ward to my persona 5 slick and sexy ds4 ! I had given it out for repair in preparation for this ! The damn thing had been in my drawer for months while I played with Hori pad not even caring to get the ds4 repaired !

Amazon UK only had the steel book version. I'll check if it includes that but I don't think so!
Edit: yeah definitely not!

Last edited:
Back