Persona 5 (by Atlus) [PS3, PS4]

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend

Hurrah! Huge graphic quality enhancement and the gameplay also getting more fast-paced while also keeping "Strategy" to good use.

EEDIT:
it seems... P5 using catherine's engine?

Last edited:
Holy shit at those stylish visuals :oops: :p ! While the whole world craves realism, Japan brings in the most sexy looking game out of nowhere ! This is so fwaking cool !
Never played Persona before, but this cannot be missed !

Is this game released in Europe?
I've only seen a 2015 release touted for Japan and North America. No doubt the developers will want to make sure that Persona 5 retains as much of the original language and cultural intent as possible during translation and this is a lot of work for Europe.

Fingers crossed it won't be too long!

How do english only games sell in europe ?

I don't think I have ever played a videogame translated to Portuguese.
And why would I? Dub jobs are usually awful (same person doing the voice of 5-8 characters), I know the technical terms much better in english and if I ever have to google something about the game, doing it in my language will return 100 times less results.

and the game in my country never got localized.

the farther we can get is The Last of Us manual book in Indonesian language (yes, Sony give us free additional manual book) that looks like translated using machine translation...

Dubbing is the root of all evil, but surely there are options for Portuguese (or other languages) for menus or written dialogue?

They're both localized but I played them both in English.
My misunderstanding, in read it that localizations were unusual. Not curious to replay it in Portuguese? Or would the voice changes be distracting having got used to Ellie and Joel in English.

My misunderstanding, in read it that localizations were unusual. Not curious to replay it in Portuguese? Or would the voice changes be distracting having got used to Ellie and Joel in English.

I am french and I play all my games in English, view all my movie in native language without subtitle if it is English and with French subtitle if it is another language.

It's not just for being used to their original voices. As I explained above, the dubs aren't really well made. There's the problem of having just one guy doing a lot of characters, and that results in hearing the same guy using annoying and forced pitches and stupid accents to discern the characters. We also lose the lip sync in animations..

Same goes for japanese games. I'll rather play JRPGs with the original japanese voices and subtitles than an english dub.

It really depends on a country's love for dubbing, I think.
When I go home, I'm shocked to watch TV and see that they even show the UK/US versions of talent shows like X-Factor or Britain's Got Talent, dubbed in italian! It's so bad. Half the time it just doesn't bloody work - they even dub comedians and imitators, where the whole point of the act is completely lost.
But that's Italy for you. Better to have a bastardised and useless version of something, than learning a language.

It really depends on a country's love for dubbing, I think.
It's an interesting point that I hadn't really considered. Like others, when it comes to movies and TV I wold also prefer to watch the original with subs that dubs. But games ought to be able to accommodate this much better, if not right then soon with language adaptive lip-syncing. Even without thus, plenty of games still have bad lip syncing even in the native English for it not to be that much of an issue.

But having the native voice talent, yeah, that's tricky. When traveling the last thing I want to do is watch TV so I hadn't considered the prevalence of English language TV and movies abroad. But whether there talent involved in the production of native content or talent who are doing dubs for imported material, there surely must be sufficient voice talent in most countries.

I wonder why it's not being used.

Well some countries just historically show original language movies with subtitles and everyone's better off with that. Like Portugal and Holland for example. In Italy, and I'm sure other countiries too, almost every single thing they show on TV is dubbed. And the whole 'dubbing industry' is huge, for obvious reasons. The result? Italians can't speak another language to save their lives, unless they specifically study it, and even then the results leave much to be desired.

Yap, it's a cultural thing.
To be honest, from my experience in the Erasmus program I did in Germany back in 2009, I think the Italians are miles ahead of the Spanish.
Sure, while speaking english, the Italians had problems with phonetics (not surprising, given how they rarely heard the language). But many of the Spanish people got to the point where they formed their own cliques and barely spoke with anyone outside of them. Which is such a shame.. why do Erasmus in those conditions?

Persona 4 Golden, Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax were perfect youtube games. Skip all the boring parts (that means by the numbers simple combat that you could automate with few scripts) and just enjoy great characters (despite the fact that I don't like or understand this type of "anime" art). It'll be interesting how they use Sho Minazuki character(s) as main character in Persona 5. They probably use it as some plot point or maybe they just ignore it and write some new character that just looks like him (and is also a bad boy).

Back