PC system impacts from tech like UE5? [Storage, RAM] *spawn*

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by MistaPi, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Per Lindstrom

Newcomer Subscriber

SSD have excellent sequential and good random read, HDD have good sequential and poor random read.
    SSD is what you want when handling many small files, but a HDD is still very capable of handling few large files.

My Windows installation is 19.1 GB, have 267 163 files and 69 088 folders, Borderlands 3 is 70.8 GB, have 483 files and 84 folders.
    That's why Windows should be on an SSD, and that's why a HDD can handle most games fine.

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wait, you have an SHDD and and SSD but you have huge video, mapping and photoshop files on the SSD... ??

3. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Yeah, I need them to be loaded ASAP. SHDD caching doesn't work for them. Because I won't be loading the same file again and again.

The worst came when I was doing a presentation when I stupidly put the aerials on SHDD to save space on ssd. Ugh the loading when scrolling around the map...

4. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year

I know textures are compressed, which is why I said "in most cases". That is a specific example where the hardware is designed to work with compressed data. And yet realtime color compression has yielded huge benefits to GPU -> VRAM bandwidth. It's not like these things are mutually exclusive.

5. Per Lindstrom

Newcomer Subscriber

Maybe more system memory can help?
    Or another SSD that's not NVMe?

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year

Yea I mean for games it doesn't make much difference if it's SATA or NVME.

7. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

the SATA ports also already full :(
    Dunno why, QGIS wont ever break 2.x GB memory usage.

i think i could buy PCIE sata or nvme card.

8. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I get it, but at the same time, how much of this was not already being used in any modern game platform?

This whole "compression I/O" thing is already in existence, it's just now a bit more hardware accelerated than it perhaps was in the prior generation. It might also yield some better results in specific use cases; it isn't a rift that is so big as to be compared to a complete doubling of throughput as it might relate to PCIE v4 to v5, and it surely doesn't apply to all assets (or even applicable assets evenly.) The railing is not about it existing, nor is it about compression being useful, it's about pointing out this is a sales spiel for a thing we've already been doing for decades.

9. Davros

Legend

Oi I have a set of those glasses (and yes i do look sexy)
    [​IMG]
    Of course real men dont need glasses or a headset in quake 2 we create vr with the power of our minds
    Quake 2 Absird
    http://www.lewcid.com/lg/download/SIRD/q2/index.html
    [​IMG]

pharma, Lightman and Per Lindstrom like this.
  10. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

About the compression, IIRC Nvidia use compression for stuff that radeon doesn't. Resulting Nvidia gpu have higher performance in pcie with lower bandwidth. E.g. When you use wifi card slot for external gpu mod.

Found this http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-egpu-experiences.418851/page-122
    Nvidia is doing pci compression since Fermi

You can do 3d with normal screen without wearing glasses as long as it's 3d side by side.

11. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

No no, now we're just confusing things.

The compression being discussed there is the final framebuffer of the whichever active video card is rasterizing to or from whichever one is actually displaying. The specifics are related to supported Intel IGPs and externally connected PCIe v1-based NVIDIA cards. There's a good description of the basic technology here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...orms-into-smaller-ion-2/?comments=1&post=1967

The performance boost is when using the integrated LCD panel to receive frames from the external NVIDIA card. Rather than sending the whole uncompressed frame, the NV driver will comrpess it, send it over the wire, and then decompress it into the memory mapped region of the systems' main memory where the supported IGP would keep it's own framebuffer.

This technology function is to enable Optimus-like capability (Switchable graphics) on external video cards which normally couldn't do such a thing. It's really not linked to the conversation we're having about anything a console gaming box would do.

Pete and orangpelupa like this.
  12. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

also DirectStorage would help, 'cos of the PC's typical I/O input overhead. With current technology, the NVMe of my PC which is about standard, not the fastest -2,8GB/s though I wonder if it can sustain it-, it reads RE2R in about 1-2 seconds. Load times on the PS4, and similar, from the videos I've seen, are so slow by comparison.

13. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Do you know if Kraken and BCPack work on all data types or is it just an additional layer of texture compression? I'd thought but could easily be wrong, that they were general compression schemes that basically compress the entire SSD so that everything going over PCI-E is compressed rather than just textures like the PC.

But in any case this does highlight that the comparison of the new consoles compressed throughput vs raw throughput on the PC isn't a fair one since even though a PC may not be taking advantage of 2:1 BCPack compression that Microsoft is claiming for the XSX to give an "effective" throughput of 4.8GB/s, it will still be getting higher than the base throughput of the SSD. At least in terms of how the Sony/Microsoft are defining throughput.

14. manux

Veteran Regular

pjbliverpool likes this.
  15. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Games sadly rarely continue loading content to empty memory, so it does take a while to stuttering to end. (64GB system with spinning HDD wasn't best experience.)
    If there is enough memory, one could create ramdisk and install the game fully into it.

16. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

some games have options to allocate ridunkolous amount of memory, but its very rare. Btw if the game was made using unreal engine, it probably can be forced to allocate tons of RAM via .ini file editing. I never tried it with UE4 tho, only years ago on UE3 mass effect.

17. jlippo

Veteran Regular

I wonder would it load data outside the gameplay area player is within?
    Meaning preloading future levels etc.

18. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

probably they wont, until the player goes to the preload zone. Unless the game is an open world where you can dictate how wide of the world is loaded. maybe Fallout or skyrim series. But historically, their engine always crumbles on itself when you load too much of the world.

19. SlmDnk

Regular

Perhaps related?

20. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber