Opera integrates BitTorrent in upcoming browser

Diplo

Veteran
I have to say the forthcoming Opera 9 browser is sounding sweet...

Opera Software today announced that it has teamed with BitTorrent Inc. to include the BitTorrent™ protocol in the upcoming version of the Opera Web browser. Integrating this popular technology in the Opera browser means faster and more efficient downloads of large files.

Opera and BitTorrent have signed an agreement covering Opera's use of the BitTorrent trademark and access to the BitTorrent search engine from the browser’s user interface. A technical preview (TP) of the Opera 9 browser will be made available soon.

BitTorrent's technology will be made available to users of the Opera browser in two ways: first, users can search for torrent files in the Opera browser's integrated search field, and second, when a file has been selected, Opera's Transfer Manager feature will handle the download. As a result of integrating BitTorrent into the Opera browser, users no longer need separate software for the searching and downloading of torrent content. - Press Release

Im using Opera 9 preview Beta 1. No Bittorrent stuff in this version.

I Look forward to trying the next beta out. I love Azureus though and all the little graphs u can pull up. Would be hard to say goobye to it.

McDusty said:
Im using Opera 9 preview Beta 1. No Bittorrent stuff in this version.

I Look forward to trying the next beta out.

It was in older 8.x previews... They probably took it out temporary because they wanted to meet some kind of agreement with the bittorrent guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's quite a few Firefox extensions that do this kind of thing, although there you have the opportunity to use Torrent sites other than Cohen's sanitised search engine, and a choice of external clients.

Bittorrent finally going mainstream along with more ususal protocols like http?

Opera Technology Preview 2 will come out tomorrow, Tuesday

Source: computerweekly.com
Source:Opera watch

Opera Software is expected to unveil a second preview version of its Opera 9 browser this week, which includes a number of features to improve functionality.

The new browser will include new support for “widgets” – small pieces of code that support the automatic downloading of applications and content from the internet onto a user’s desktop. Opera will offer about 10 widgets of its own to increase functionality for users, and will encourage developers to introduce others.

Guess this is the answer to extensions on FF. Adblock for opera, here we come :)

carpediem said:
Opera Technology Preview 2 will come out tomorrow, Tuesday

Source: computerweekly.com
Source:Opera watch

Opera Software is expected to unveil a second preview version of its Opera 9 browser this week, which includes a number of features to improve functionality.

Guess this is the answer to extensions on FF. Adblock for opera, here we come :)
i think by "widgets" they mean Widgets

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
There's quite a few Firefox extensions that do this kind of thing, although there you have the opportunity to use Torrent sites other than Cohen's sanitised search engine, and a choice of external clients.
So what exactly does the extension do, then, if it's handing off something of to an external client? Doesn't sound very integrated.

With Opera 9 you will be able to use whatever search engine you want - you can edit all your search preferences currently.

see colon said:
i think by "widgets" they mean Widgets

No they don't, well... So the theory is. The guess is that it's AJAX within the browser. 10-12 widgets will be included in the release tomorrow, so I guess we'll see :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really looking forward to this. I've used a lot of BT clients (settling on Azureus) but I rarely give it use, only for demos, etc. so it will be nice to ditch yet another program and just use Opera.

Btw, this will likely never be as useful/featured as a true BT client, just like Opera's built-in download manager which supports resuming etc probably isn't enough for all that may still want to use an external download manager/accelerator; but it's nice to get all these goodies in a single 3.x MB download and use what I want.

I don't know about the Widgets; all I've tried so far (konfabulator, etc.) end up requiring too much memory for something that can easily be done by RSS feeds (if not as pretty). I hope Opera's tight code practices change my mind but I'm not too confident.

I'm also waiting for Opera 9's new mail organisation system as I've been looking for something similar for a few years now. Yes your mail will waste more HDD space but if your hard drive crashes you won't lose ALL your mail in the process (I have nearly 1gb of mail in my archives so this problem is very relevant to me).

Diplo, thanks again for your OperaTools btw.

Diplo said:
So what exactly does the extension do, then, if it's handing off something of to an external client? Doesn't sound very integrated.

With Opera 9 you will be able to use whatever search engine you want - you can edit all your search preferences currently.

The extensions are mostly search engine plugins for the various bit-torrent sites ... so you can select isohunt enter in your search phrase, and presto, the results display in your browser.Click on the torrent and presto, your registered torrent client will be spawned and start the download.

I'm ditching 8.51. There's just too much sweetness in this one!

Site specific prefs are a godsend. I now use a global stylesheet, mainly for fixing too small fonts, and one for b3d that substitutes Tahoma with Verdana. I love it!

Integrated search prefs are terrific too. Bye bye Opsed.
Content blocking. Bye bye Diplo tools. ;)
New e-mail header toolbar. - Nice. No more fiddling with css to get it just right.

Don't care much for the widgets though. Maybe someone will make something useful...

Bittorrent. Not tested properly, but upload speeds seem too slow. Meh. Ill stick with µtorrent and Azureus. (Can't decide)

Lots of other stuff too.

Haven't noticed any bugs yet...

Anyone having problems downloading the TP?

It dies at 127KB for me, regardless of browser I use.

I'll go look for a mirror...

Back