Opera 8.50: Now completely free of charge

Opera Software today permanently removed the ad banner and licensing fee from its award-winning Web browser. The ad-free, full-featured Opera browser is now available for download - completely free of charge – at http://www.opera.com.

"Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera browser."

Opera was previously available free of charge with an ad banner. Users had the option of paying a licensing fee to remove the ad banner and receive premium support.

"Opera fans around the globe made this day possible," said von Tetzchner. "As we grow our userbase, our mission and our promise remain steadfast: we will always offer the best Internet experience to our users - on any device. Today this mission gains new ground."

Download: Opera 8.50
News Source: Opera

Rejoice! The best (IMHO) browser just got better! ;)

I find it funny how just a few weeks ago, Download.com made a big deal out of supplying free licenses for a day.

Now there's no excuse for not using the best brower!

(And the fact that IE still can't render alpha transparency in PNG files really sucks!)

Diplo said:
Now there's no excuse for not using the best brower!

(And the fact that IE still can't render alpha transparency in PNG files really sucks!)

With Maxthon and the PNG-plugin it shows up nicely, even with the IE engine ;)

Opera is an excellent browser though and easily my 2nd choice after Maxthon. Love to see it grow stronger and perhaps grab some attention from FF.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who want to extend Opera's menu interface you can download my Developer Menu, as modeled below:

web_dev.png

Just click here and agree to the warning and it will install automatically.

heh.... seems that with 2 better and free products on market M$ will have more worries...:D

i am glad to hear this, will DL it for sure, i even liked what i saw in 8.0.... but i prolly wont switch from FF.... i still love my foxy ;)

Diplo said:
For those who want to extend Opera's menu interface you can download my Developer Menu, as modeled below:
Thanks! A couple of links I had missed, well thought out featuers, and a much more comprehensive selection of tools than I had made for myself. Great stuff.

Oh, and: Good for Opera going freeware. Might hurt them a little economically in the short run, but I'm sure they have some plan to trade off the raised awareness from this into profit in some way.

Seriously now, one question i'm sure you guys have seen 109201 times.

Is it worth switching over if i've been using Firefox for years and am very happy with it?
What would be the reasons for switching? Again, i'm 99.9% happy with Firefox.

Thanks

london-boy said:
Is it worth switching over if i've been using Firefox for years and am very happy with it?
Maybe not, though downloading it and trying it won't do any harm, will it? See http://www.opera.com/features/ for a quick overview of Opera's features and http://operalover.tntluoma.com/8/ for a more comprehensive look.
To get the features that FireFox copies from Opera sooner? :)

I'm liking that it has a built-in email client with IMAP support. That in itself is pretty darned nice.

Does Opera have any kind of feature like Adblock in Firefox? That's one of the biggest reasons I use firefox. Does Opera have any issues with flash or other common web content? I know there will always be problems with a non IE browser, but as long as it's on par with Firefox, then I'd be happy.

I tried it out.
Nice and speedy.
london-boy said:
Seriously now, one question i'm sure you guys have seen 109201 times.

Thanks
FF is homophobic :cool:

ok i wont. the only thing is that everytime u install a new browser, everything defaults to that one unless u're careful and well i'm lazy. took me a while to get used to firefox, dont wanna start all over again ;)

london-boy said:
ok i wont. the only thing is that everytime u install a new browser, everything defaults to that one unless u're careful and well i'm lazy. took me a while to get used to firefox, dont wanna start all over again ;)

dont wanna sound like jerk, but i dont see that many advantages of Opera over FF....
specially with FF 1.5 beta out there.... which will have some really great features (auto.updates)....

Scott_Arm said:
Does Opera have any kind of feature like Adblock in Firefox? That's one of the biggest reasons I use firefox.
If Doplo's solution doesn't please you there's always the option of a local ad-filtering proxy like WebWasher or similar.

Oh man ... Opera would have been perfect for me to use at work. The ONLY thing preventing me from using it at work .... no LDAP support ... that really blows. I might give it a shot for home use though. I'm pretty happy with Firefox though ... not sure I see any real advantage to switching over. Opera definitely loads pages faster.

Back