Opera 8.50: Now completely free of charge

nice

Wow, this is great stuff! I tried Opera around 6 years ago and never got into it. I also never understood the big hoopla about Firefox, although I use that under Linux and sometimes under Windows. Internet Explorer has served me well, but now I am seriously thinking about using Opera as my default browser. It's obviously nicer and I haven't found any shortcomings yet, but it will be difficult not to hit that "IE" icon after all these years.

I really like how Opera remembers the open pages when you close it. That is such an 'obvious' feature when you think about it, but not so obvious when you look around.

Are there any specific, bullet-point reasons for using Opera that always come up at times like these? I am not sure about faster and the PNG transparency is no big deal really, but what else has this browser got going for it?

wireframe said:
I really like how Opera remembers the open pages when you close it. That is such an 'obvious' feature when you think about it, but not so obvious when you look around.

You can do that with Firefox as well: Look for the "session saver" extension

wireframe said:
Are there any specific, bullet-point reasons for using Opera that always come up at times like these? I am not sure about faster and the PNG transparency is no big deal really, but what else has this browser got going for it?
One thing I find *really* useful is the fact it stores a history of all closed windows. So you can press CTRL+ALT+Z to undo the last closed Window if you close it by accident. You can also click the garbage can icon (normally top right of Window) to produce a list of previously closed windows which you can open (or go to Windows > Closed menu on main toolbar).

Also, do a Google search and then just use fast forward to go to the next page of search results. This works great with a five-button mouse where you can use the thumb buttons to page back and forward through results. You can also try holding down left button and pressing right to fast forward.

Try pressing F11 for ultimate full screen mode. Or SHIFT + F11 for small screen rendering (as you would see on a hand-held device).

Hold CTRL and use scroll wheel up and down to watch proper page resising in action.

Highlight some text on a page and press V (first time you may have to download some small files). Listen to the best text-to-speech around.

Press CTRL+J to see all the links on a page.

Click a tab with middle mouse button to close it.

Search bookmarks for keywords.

Paste notes into the note panel (CTRL + ALT + E) - handy for storing temporary URLs or other info you don't want to write down.

Press F12 to quickly enable/disable javascript/plugins etc.

Press CTRL + ALT + V to validate the source of any webpage you are viewing.

Press full-stop for inline text searching of page.

Use CTRL-H to quickly minimise Opera to taskbar (also known as 'Boss Mode' ;) )

Use SHIFT + G to toggle between user and author mode (ie. which style sheets are used)

Many more keyboard shortcuts at http://www.opera.com/features/keyboard/

Is there anything like AdBlock for Opera? That single feature would make it more desirable than FF for me.

(I know you can block popups, I'm talking about ads on a page)

I just tried doing these in Firefox and quite a lot of them seemed to be supported....

Diplo said:
One thing I find *really* useful is the fact it stores a history of all closed windows. So you can press CTRL+ALT+Z to undo the last closed Window if you close it by accident. You can also click the garbage can icon (normally top right of Window) to produce a list of previously closed windows which you can open (or go to Windows > Closed menu on main toolbar).
I believe "Tabify" does that for me in Fx but the speech thing wasn't there and I couldn't see a "show all links".

Still, I've learnt more about FF via Opera :)

Diplo,

Thanks. Great list!

Yes, the history behavior is really nice. Very functional. Voice is pretty cool, but I hope that isn't the best voice in the industry. It sounds like the Amiga 1988. I guess that's not terrible though.

Opera is very sleek and I really want to love it completely. It's just so hard to let go of IE. No coins for guessing which browser I am typing this in. *Urgh*

I am loving Opera but I keep hitting the damn IE button by habit and I am having a hard time putting it in the trash! LOL!

Diplo is God! :D , now, if it can be done for flash also ....

2 SimonF
The problem with FF is that with every new version one needs to reinstall ALL of his extensions again and again... and to use 3rd party tools in order to save&restore all bookmarks and settings.... when my current Opera config&bookmarks were started years ago with opera 6... since then i just install new version over the old one...

chavvdarrr said:

2 SimonF
The problem with FF is that with every new version one needs to reinstall ALL of his extensions again and again... and to use 3rd party tools in order to save&restore all bookmarks and settings.... when my current Opera config&bookmarks were started years ago with opera 6... since then i just install new version over the old one...

Hey Diplo .. just finished visiting your site .. and am impressed with your opera info.

Thx M8

US

_xxx_ said:
Is there anything like AdBlock for Opera? That single feature would make it more desirable than FF for me.

(I know you can block popups, I'm talking about ads on a page)

?!?

why more desireable, for FF you even have nice filters provided by the community...

anyhow what I like about Opera is the sleek default interface, still no reason to move from FF, but having two on the desktop does no harm :)

chavvdarrr said:

2 SimonF

What? I never re-install extensions unless the system advises me that a new version is available.

radeonic2 said:
How do you make the download manager close after tranfers are done
I don't think you can. You can, however, choose 'Never show transfers when starting download' (View button on the transfer tab) and instead keep track of them using the button on the left. It will show a countdown of the remaining time underneath, and when pressed toggle the transfer window in the sidebar instead of a tab of its own. Personally I like this system better than the one in Firefox.

damn.... talking about FF extension and i miss it....

/me looks at his list of 75 installed extensions...time to check for new stuff.....:LOL:

Zaphod said:
I don't think you can. You can, however, choose 'Never show transfers when starting download' (View button on the transfer tab) and instead keep track of them using the button on the left. It will show a countdown of the remaining time underneath, and when pressed toggle the transfer window in the sidebar instead of a tab of its own. Personally I like this system better than the one in Firefox.
thx :cool:
edit- for some reason this website won't load the next page when you hit download now.
http://files.filefront.com/Racer_v053_beta_16/;4025717;;/fileinfo.html
Works in firefox though :???:
Oh and I cant get opera to log into my space either, it kicks me back to the
Already a member? Click Here to Log In
page when inputing my correct info.
No change when purposely putting in wrong info.

Last edited by a moderator:
radeonic2 said:
thx :cool:
edit- for some reason this website won't load the next page when you hit download now.
http://files.filefront.com/Racer_v053_beta_16/;4025717;;/fileinfo.html
Works in firefox though :???:
Oh and I cant get opera to log into my space either, it kicks me back to the page when inputing my correct info.
No change when purposely putting in wrong info.
the filefront page loads fine (althoug a bit slow) - Opera 8.50 ("identify as Opera" checked from F12 menu)
I'm not sure what is "my space", but maybe somekind of browser check is also underground?

chavvdarrr said:
the filefront page loads fine (althoug a bit slow) - Opera 8.50 ("identify as Opera" checked from F12 menu)
I'm not sure what is "my space", but maybe somekind of browser check is also underground?
That's the first thing I tried.
my space= www.myspace.com like live journal.
The filefront page loads fast for me... but its the same as the page I linked to.
In IE and FF it loads correctly and fast.
edit- also for ign.com when it takes you to an ad page and says click to continue to bla bl bla, it just keeps loading ad pages.
what the fuck :devilish:
edit- hmm.. ign works now but myspace is still borked.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh I did some testing last week, with different browsers about opening a huge html (the temp file from .chm excel help ) in one go... and... well Opera cannot cope with such huge files, but Firefox 1.5 beta with few tweaks can :)

and it works quite well, in the config files I have turned off, image placeholders and frames + created that different error message reporting option (.xul or something) to cope with all the error alerts that pop up, plus regular disable of images and javascript... and voila 4.5 K pages long html file opened and using about 250-300 mb of memory :) nice, but it did take me some time to figure it out.

Back