AMD interested in the Single Board Computer Market, the outcome: AMD Geodeâ„¢ LX EPIC

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
  • AMD Geodeâ„¢ LX Processor Family

The most performance per watt available in the industry today

The AMD Geode™ LX 800@0.9W* and AMD Geode™ LX 700@0.8W** the processor brings x86 power and versatility to applications for entertainment, business, education, and embedded markets. The AMD Geode LX processors’ integrated, innovative architecture delivers the most performance per watt
    available in the industry today, and can lead to longer battery life and enable small form-factor designs.

Design without limits

The AMD Geode LX processor family offers new levels of performance and power versatility in an x86-based embedded processor. The AMD Geode LX 800@0.9W processor operates at a maximum power of 3.9W (TDP) and 1.8W typical at 500MHz, while the AMD Geode LX 700@0.8W consumes a maximum power of 3.1W (TDP) and 1.3W typical at 433MHz.

These devices are exceptional for such applications as thin clients, interactive set-top boxes, single board computers, Personal Access Devices (PADs), mobile Internet, and entertainment. Designers can now focus on developing end products that efficiently meet consumer needs with far fewer limits imposed by software porting or compatibility.

The AMD Geode LX processors deliver the low-power x86 performance to design innovative and creative new products without compromise. Coupled with the AMD Geodeâ„¢ CS5536 companion device, the combined chipset, which operates at 1.9W typical at 433MHz and at 2.4W typical at 500MHz, offers designers a complete set of features that can deliver full desktop functionality to embedded and portable devices.

Capabilities include:

Natively run all Windows® and Linux based applications
    Full Internet browser experience on portable devices
    No software porting needed – programs run without modification
    Access to the full universe of 32-bit x86 software
    Support for any type of connectivity

x86 Everywhere:
    Changing the way developers think about application design

The AMD commitment to the x86 marketplace – with a range of high-performance products like the AMD Geode™ LX processors – gives OEMs an easy and effective way to achieve product differentiation and shorten time-to-market cycles.

The AMD Geode LX processors are the next step in helping AMD redefine the way x86 processors address the growing need for versatile power and performance for a variety of consumer devices. It is the latest example of AMD’s commitment to make x86-based technology available for a variety of applications – from high-end servers to low-power embedded applications.

Processor functional blocks

CPU Core
    GeodeLinkâ„¢ Control Processor
    GeodeLink Interface Units
    GeodeLink Memory Controller
    Graphics Processor
    Display Controller
    Video Processor
    Video Input Port
    GeodeLink PCI Bridge
    Security Block

• Press Release said:
    AMD Drives Industrial Computing Innovation in Single Board Computer Market with Latest Reference Design Kit

— AMD Geode™ LX EPIC Reference Design Kit Offers Single Board Computer Developers Potential for Faster Return on Investment —

SUNNYVALE, Calif -- April 3, 2006 --Today AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced the availability of the AMD Geodeâ„¢ LX EPIC Reference Design Kit (RDK). This RDK will help developers quickly and efficiently create low-power, high-performance single board computer (SBC) products, enabling faster time to market. This versatile, industry-standard design supports a wide range of rugged industrial SBC applications including data acquisition, video processing, point-of-sale terminals, telecommunications, global positioning satellite (GPS) devices and motion control.

“AMD’s focus is to help reduce total cost of ownership while maintaining the outstanding functionality that customers have come to expect,†said Erik Salo, director of marketing for AMD’s Embedded Computing Solutions Division. “The AMD Geode LX processor is incredibly versatile, and combined with the EPIC form factor, this reference design is an attractive addition to our customer-centric solution offerings that can provide immediate impact after investment.â€

The AMD Geode LX EPIC RDK leverages the industry-standard EPIC SBC form factor and low-power system design to maximize adaptability and help developers get products to market more quickly and efficiently. The wide acceptance of this small form factor with PC104 and PC104Plus expandability adds to the multiple I/O options available to meet growing customer demand in the industry. Additionally, the AMD Geode LX 800@0.9W* processor provides all the capabilities of the x86 instruction set with the power to run a broad range of operating systems and applications.

“This is a highly adaptable, low-power solution that will bring great value to a variety of applications throughout the single board computer market,†said Peter Lippert, CEO, LiPPERT Embedded Computers. “AMD has had great success with the AMD Geode LX processor and we are pleased to partner with them to bring this SBC offering to our customers.â€

Primary Product Features
    The AMD Geode LX EPIC RDK is a ready-to-go design that calls for minimal customer development. This allows for accurate customization based on customer needs and provides a complete solution including the key features listed below.

– AMD Geode LX 800@0.9W* processor with AMD Geode CS5536 Companion
    – Small EPIC form factor – 115mm x 165 mm
    – 6 layer, lead-free board design
    – 64-bit DDR SDRAM
    – High-speed data port
    – 8MB SPI Flash
    – 4 USB 2.0 ports and 1 port configurable as client
    – Mini-PCI Slot
    – 2-channel/6-channel audio software
    – Dual 10/100 Ethernet (RJ45) – PCI Power Management
    – JTAG Debug Interface
    – Hardware Watchdog Timer
    – 3V PWM and Digital I/O
    – Super I/O
    – RS232 serial interface
    – IEEE1284 parallel interface
    – PS2 keyboard and mouse
    – Digital PWM
    – 5V Digital I/O (8 bits)
    – Analog I/O (6 channel)
    – SPI Flash Interface

Availability
    The AMD Geode LX EPIC reference design kit is available from the AMD Embedded Developer Support website. For more information, visit www.amd.com/geodelxepicrdk.

For those equipment manufacturers and designers seeking complete SBC boards based on this reference design, products are immediately available from LiPPERT Embedded Computers. Pricing and availability information can be found at [Munched]. LiPPERT Embedded Computers, Inc. specializes in development and production of highly integrated embedded PC modules with small power requirements. LiPPERT offers standard and custom solutions even for the most demanding applications. For more information visit www.lippert-at.com.

About AMD
    Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative microprocessor solutions for computing, communications and consumer electronics markets. Founded in 1969, AMD is dedicated to delivering superior computing solutions based on customer needs that empower users worldwide. For more information visit www.amd.com.

*This processor operates at 500 MHz. Model numbers reflect performance as described here: http://www.amd.com/connectivitysolutions/geodelxbenchmark.

• The AMD benchmarks

• The Product Brief

The AMD Geodeâ„¢ LX EPIC Reference Design Kit (RDK) gives you a complete system design so you can get to market quickly with high-performance, low-power systems for x86 embedded applications. This RDK helps you respond quickly to high-growth markets and develop/design highly efficient products that leverage PC/104 standards.

EPIC stands for Embedded Platform for Industrial Computing – which provides a complete computer built on a single circuit board that has multiple I/O options and plug-and-play adaptability for hundreds of PC/104, PC/104-Plus, and PCI/104 cards.

Small Form Factor with Rich Features

The EPIC is a small but feature-rich form factor, and is a widely accepted standard that delivers design flexibility, compatibility with all PC/104 modules, and multiple I/O options. Board complexity is reduced by the high integration of the Geode LX and CS5536 I/O Companion along with optimized memory design. This allows for a full-feature 6-layer EPIC design on a single card with dimensions measuring 115mm x 165mm.

The AMD Geode LX EPIC RDK is powered by an AMD Geodeâ„¢ LX processor that provides full compatibility with available x86 instruction sets and multiple operating systems. The Single Board Computer is complemented by the AMD Geode CS5536 companion device, which provides general I/O support including USB 2.0, audio, and ATA 100.

Complete Lead-Free Design, Six-Layer Technology

The AMD Geode LX EPIC RDK is designed and produced to meet the latest international standards for lead-free components, so you can leverage the design with confidence that it is future proof.

The AMD Commitment to Low-Power x86

All Geode RDKs and other advanced development tools demonstrate the AMD commitment to low-power, customer-focused solutions for the ever-growing x86 marketplace. AMD strives to develop technologies and products that enable you to shorten design cycles and move to market quickly with high-performance embedded x86 products.

Application Markets
    This RDK solution is a ready-to-go design for:

Single Board Computers
    Rugged Industrial Applications
    Data Acquisition
    Video Processing
    Telecommunications
    Edge Communication Devices
    Instrumentation
    Point-of-Sale

The PDF

• The CPU Overview

AMD Geodeâ„¢ LX 800@0.9W Processor

Download the PDF

x86/x87-compatible core
    Processor frequency up to 500 MHZ
    – LX 800, up to 500MHz
    – LX 700, up to 433MHz

64K I/64K D L1 cache and 128K L2 cache
    Split I/D cache/TLB (Translation Look-Aside Buffer)
    64-bit DDR Memory interface up to 400MHz (LX 800), up to 333MHz (LX 700)
    Integrated FPU that supports the Intel MMX® and AMD 3DNow!™ Technology instruction sets
    9 GB/s internal GeodeLinkâ„¢ Interface Unit (GLIU)
    Security Block
    - 128-bit AES (CBC/ECB)
    - True Random Number Generator

High-resolution CRT and TFT outputs (simultaneous operation)
    - Support for High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition (SD) standards
    - Support 1920x1440 in CRT mode and 1600x1200 in TFT mode
    VESA 1.1 and 2.0 VIP/VDA support
    0.13 micron process
    481-terminal PBGA (Plastic Ball Grid Array) with internal heatspreader

Power management

1.8W Typical (3.9W TDP) @ 500MHz
    1.3W Typical (3.1W TDP) @ 433MHz
    GeodeLink active hardware power management
    Hardware support for standard ACPI software power management
    I/O companion SUSP#/SUSPA# power controls
    Lower power I/O
    Wakeup on SMI/INTR
    Optional In-package 2KBit EEPROM

33358c_Castle_Chart.gif

------------------------------

I think that the battle for the performance per watt and the handheld/small size computers is now definetely on.

I don't like the X86 everywhere part, though.

I read about these very same Geode LX 433MHz 0.8W and 500MHz 0.9W, one or two years ago? why are them out only now?

by the way, this is chip is an updated Cyrix MediaGX :)
I'm okay with x86. if you don't want x86 you have ARM and Xscale. x86 allows to make a PC

I can imagine a toshiba libretto sized laptop (or a bit bigger) with a Geode LX, one stick of 512MB So-dimm, LCD or OLED widescreen, and a 1.8" HDD (say, 40GB). run whatever you want on it (linux, win 98/2000/XP)
that would be a PDA killer!

Blazkowicz_ said:
by the way, this is chip is an updated Cyrix MediaGX :)

No, they're derived from the K7.

Edit: Sorry, it's the Geode NX that's based on the K7.

Last edited by a moderator:
CosmoKramer said:
Did AMD pay for that ad?
Yes.

Actually as I'm posting this, I'm wearing a Geode LX T-Shirt AMD sent me. This T-Shirt is made of money, and I think I can recognize the face of Woodrow Wilson in some of the Federal Reserve Notes featured in this T-Shirt. 1934 was a great year for the Dollars, I must say. And I thank AMD for letting apreciate that a lot more closely. :p

Actually, and more seriously, it's just a case of Copy/Paste-itis. So people can have the complete specs for this underpowered CPU in a single page.

Futhermore, I think it's interesting to see AMD being interested by this market and also making a point to stress the fact that they're in the Perf-per-Watt race that everybody and their uncle (Intel/Ati/Nvidia, etc...) swore to win this time around.

Is it underpowered for its job?
Sounds like a wonderchip..
Imagine 8 of them in Octogonal SLI mode.. w00t!

I was really really hopeful AMD would jump into this market with both feet and displace VIA or provide a bit of competition at least. The nano-itx and luke core fusion package are pretty crappy IMO, and I thought this sort of competition would result in better products so I could make my silly carpc, but nothing has really happened for quite some time now.

Hmmm in a bit of a rush but have some questions if any one has the answers.

The GeodeLink looks like a hypertranpsort implementation?
The product brief has this "1x USB port configurable as client". What is that for?
Couldn't find where the memory controller is. Is it on die like a A64?

Hope this or its derivatives make it too retail soon with GOOD/SOLID drivers. The power figures and size are fanatstic.

memory controller is on the image : "Geode Link Memory Controller (GLMC)"

performance should suck but be enough to run firefox, imho.

Ahh Thnaks - have to print the lot out as I am a paper digester. Hope they bring out an updated "companion chip" - that thing looks a little dated without sata2 and pci-x support. Its better than via though - they seemed to be shrinking down 5 year old dated tech. I do wish they would throw in some more modern instruction support like sse1,2, 3 since that would help with media a little.

what I was thinking, for media you'd better have a DSP chip that decodes mpeg, divx etc.
someone could (and should) make a toshiba libretto like device that way, or an archos like video jukebox that serves as a tablet PC and PDA as well.

I'm not sure it has the processing power to decode divx (and certainly not for H264). the "low cost" compaq with MediaGX ran at 166MHz but ran more like a P75 or P90 (I don't know exactly).
then it didn't have L2 cache.

http://www.pctechguide.com/24Cyrix_MediaGX.htm

remember 1996? when EDO RAM came out, there was the saying that it eliminated the need for on-board cache. so you'd see HP, Packard Bell, Compaq PCs, as expensive as usual, with a pentium 150 and no L2 cache.. performing like crap. what a shame :LOL:

It has 3DNow!!!1 no doubt a throwback to the cpu's pedigree. I am sure this is just the industrial epic version of the board. I hope they do a reference design that has either the dsp you postulate or an 'updated into the year 2000 and beyond' companion chip.

Back