Opera 8.50: Now completely free of charge

Druga Runda said:
heh I did some testing last week, with different browsers about opening a huge html (the temp file from .chm excel help ) in one go... and... well Opera cannot cope with such huge files, but Firefox 1.5 beta with few tweaks can :)

and it works quite well, in the config files I have turned off, image placeholders and frames + created that different error message reporting option (.xul or something) to cope with all the error alerts that pop up, plus regular disable of images and javascript... and voila 4.5 K pages long html file opened and using about 250-300 mb of memory :) nice, but it did take me some time to figure it out.

its still beta... and what is THE MOST imporatant thing, there are now TWO BETTER alternatives to IE..... for free.....
Opera never managed to get any percentage cause you had to pay for it.....

IE was free...comes with fucking WIN :devilish:
Firefox is also free and it has nothing to do with M$ :D

so, IMO, only way Opera could survive was this.... and this is good.... my guess is that we will see additional drop in IE users in next months....
knowing how important IE is for M$ this is hard blow to those fuckers..... and YES, i do NOT like them... i dont want my comp be turned into their property....simple....

i want alternatives.... SuSe 10 is coming in few days.... i think thats when i will say goodbye to M$ forever....

silence said:
its still beta... and what is THE MOST imporatant thing, there are now TWO BETTER alternatives to IE..... for free.....
Opera never managed to get any percentage cause you had to pay for it.....

IE was free...comes with fucking WIN :devilish:
Firefox is also free and it has nothing to do with M$ :D

so, IMO, only way Opera could survive was this.... and this is good.... my guess is that we will see additional drop in IE users in next months....
knowing how important IE is for M$ this is hard blow to those fuckers..... and YES, i do NOT like them... i dont want my comp be turned into their property....simple....

i want alternatives.... SuSe 10 is coming in few days.... i think thats when i will say goodbye to M$ forever....

Sad thing is that the vastest majority of PC users are still relying on Explorer. And many don't even know of the existance of Firefox and Opera.

I had to talk a colleague of mine into installing Firefox after she kept repeating how her new laptop is full of pop-ups and adware and crap like that. Kept telling her everyday, i don't think she's done anything about it yet.

Many people are like that, they just don't get it, and it's not fair that MS is exploiting those people.

london-boy said:
Sad thing is that the vastest majority of PC users are still relying on Explorer. And many don't even know of the existance of Firefox and Opera.

I had to talk a colleague of mine into installing Firefox after she kept repeating how her new laptop is full of pop-ups and adware and crap like that. Kept telling her everyday, i don't think she's done anything about it yet.

Many people are like that, they just don't get it, and it's not fair that MS is exploiting those people.

i ISTALLED Firefox on friends comp after cleaning shitloads of stuff and tell him basics....2 weeks later he calls again and asks if i can come...

i take a look at his comp and ask him why the fuck is he still using IE?????????..."well,i like those free toolbars".....i say "NEVER EVER call or ask for help"....and go home....

thats what i call moron ;)

silence said:
i ISTALLED Firefox on friends comp after cleaning shitloads of stuff and tell him basics....2 weeks later he calls again and asks if i can come...

i take a look at his comp and ask him why the fuck is he still using IE?????????..."well,i like those free toolbars".....i say "NEVER EVER call or ask for help"....and go home....

thats what i call moron ;)

Am i the only one who loathes these bloody toolbars?! I already find the ones on Firefox a bit too much (the tabs, the blah blah blah)... I mean, anything that makes my "thing i'm looking at on the net" smaller makes me fidgety.

london-boy said:
Am i the only one who loathes these bloody toolbars?! I already find the ones on Firefox a bit too much (the tabs, the blah blah blah)... I mean, anything that makes my "thing i'm looking at on the net" smaller makes me fidgety.

i saw one IE installation that had like 1/3 of screen in additional toolbars....:oops::oops::oops::oops:<- not nuff to express my looks at that attrocity...

The bottom part is obviously a chop, but it will take you less than an hour to find at enough 'friendly' search toolbars to almost completely fill the screen. While this is a Firefox promo using tongue in cheeks hyperbole to get the point across, that doesn't make it any less valid.

God knows how many of those things I have cleaned out for people over the years. Hell, I have friends who are both smart and reasonably successful, but are a total hazard at a computer. They'd click yes to install and run 'Evilpasswordstealer.ocx' and then proceed to click yes again when prompted: 'You realize I'm going to steal your online banking pin, VISA, account password, and clean you out, right? Are you still really, really sure?'

It's just an utter lack of critical sense, and the misguided belief that the computer is supposed to be the 'smart one', so it's best to simply accept what's perceived to be 'recommended settings'.

:oops: :LOL: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just telling my boss not to use explorer, and to download Firefox or Opera. We'll see if he's done it tonight. He had no idea what i was talking about, even though i really tried to make it as simple as i could: "with Explorer you get pop-ups and viruses, with Opera and Firefox you dont. They're free. And easier to use." Repeated 4 times.

Poor guy, he's clueless. but i'll get there.

I really love Opera, and it's my main browser. My main problem is with the lack of multimedia functionality, and (most importantly), lack of support for wysiwyg editors. This makes creating online articles on my maxdev powered site a pain in the butt.

Clashman said:
and (most importantly), lack of support for wysiwyg editors. This makes creating online articles on my maxdev powered site a pain in the butt.
At least they support document.selection() / document.getSelection() now, so that code generator type editors (like the default vBulletin one, for example) can work. Lots of CMS's out there that still use older crap editing components without an appropriate fallback, though.

When it comes to inline editing: Fear not little grashopper. You may be able to keep Opera as your default browser still.

Merlin is the [...] code name of our next major release. Since we released Opera 8.5 today without banner ads, we thought we'd tell everyone some of the things they have to look forward to in the future from Opera. [...]

Of course, we can't fill Opera with just acronymns, so we stuck in designMode (rich text editing). Oh, there's more, but we can't reveal all our secrets now.
Edit: Added quote (my bold).

Last edited by a moderator:
Diplo said:
Kind of. You can create a filter file that contains URLs (using wildcards) that can be blocked. I've written a Windows app that interfaces with this to allow you to block ads very much like AdBlock in Firefox - see http://www.diplo.co.uk/design/operatools.php for a free download.

There seems to be a problem with blocking images with links. An error message pops up and says "File not found." when I choose Add to Block List. Blocking just plain images does work.

edit: The problem seems to be related to the filepaths configured in menu.ini. They may not contain any spaces - otherwise it won't work.

Clashman said:
I really love Opera, and it's my main browser. My main problem is with the lack of multimedia functionality,

It has all the multimedia functionality you'd want in a browser (wmv, .mov, .rm, flash, shockwave....).

i have Opera now and it shows B3D completlly fucked up.... while other sites are OK...

any ideas? i kinda like 8.5.... but i gonna stick with FF.....

silence said:
i have Opera now and it shows B3D completlly fucked up....
What kind of issues are you seeing? Got a screenshot? Beyond3D have always rendered perfectly fine in Opera for me.

Zaphod said:
What kind of issues are you seeing? Got a screenshot? Beyond3D have always rendered perfectly fine in Opera for me.

it crashes every time i try to access B3D..... and only on B3D... i just tried dozen oter sites and they work...

weird....

Why when i get into gmail via web using opera, the fonts are smaller than when using windows or FF?

silence said:
it crashes every time i try to access B3D..... and only on B3D... i just tried dozen oter sites and they work...

weird....

No problems here with either Opera 8.02 or Opera 8.5.

Apoc said:
Why when i get into gmail via web using opera, the fonts are smaller than when using windows or FF?
Much smaller? I honestly hadn't noticed, but yeah they are a tiny bit smaller with all browsers at the dafault zoom/text size settings. Completely identical font-size rendering isn't to be expected, though (unless the designer stupidly use pixel specified fonts), as this ideally should be left up to the user. Personally I like the global zoom feature in Opera, but an independent text size setting in addition would be ideal.

Zaphod said:
Much smaller? I honestly hadn't noticed, but yeah they are a tiny bit smaller with all browsers at the dafault zoom/text size settings. Completely identical font-size rendering isn't to be expected, though (unless the designer stupidly use pixel specified fonts), as this ideally should be left up to the user. Personally I like the global zoom feature in Opera, but an independent text size setting in addition would be ideal.

This is what i see:

http://s91489365.onlinehome.us/images/ie.jpg

http://s91489365.onlinehome.us/images/opera.jpg

Back