Old games made anew

Carmageddon!!!! Complete with soundtrack by Iron Maiden.

Ok, so it's a PC game, but it would be right at home on consoles. It game makes Grand Theft Auto look like Candyland. For those of you who haven't experienced the awesomeness of Carmageddon (Carmageddon 2 was the best), it's basically a racing game/auto combat game. The races take place in HUGE outdoor environments that can be explored freely and are full of secrets. You race through a series of checkpoints, but you can get to them however you want, rather than following a track.

Of course, if you don't feel like racing, you can just kill all your opponents. The car selection looks like it came straight out of Twisted Metal. You can upgrade them or buy new ones with money earned from racing. There aren't many projectile weapons, though. The emphasis is on smashing your opponents into things or knocking them off cliffs. If you plow your opponent into the corner of a building or something, you could even slice their car in two.

The best part, though, is that this game gives you money bonuses for causing random destruction wherever you go. You get money for hitting civilians (supposedly they were turned into zombies or something. . . whatever), deer, elk, and really anything else that moves. You get bigger bonuses for hitting them so hard that they dismember, or you can get the pancake bonus by plowing them into a wall. There are powerups like the spring weapon, which automatically launches springs at any civilian within a certain radius of your car, sending the little rag dolls flying way off into the distance.

P.S. Weren't they making a Destruction Derby game for PS2? What ever happened to that?

slightly HT ;)

I would REALLY like to see the whole baldur's gate serie, from shadows of am to throne of baal port on a system.
Even a quick port with lego wars kind of graphics...

/ slightly HT

Sorry I really want to replay theses games... :oops:

Final fantasy 7. Say what you say but that was the greatest game ever made, in my opinion. :) Not just graphical update though, some changes and extra things to do would make the already perfect game even better one! (if thats possible.)

I will second (third?) the desire for Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers remakes.

Hopefully, though, the one weakness of PDS could be fixed... it's a 4 disc, 10 hour fucking game. LOL

I'd also LOVE to see a new BattleClash/MetalCombat (SNES) sequel for the Wii. Anyone else play those?

Here's my suggestions:

SNES :
Final fantasy 6 (it's amazing how many characters stories they weaved together)
Chronotrigger (it offered a great amount of replayability and lots of ways to finish it)
Shadowrun

Megadrive :
Streets of Rage

N64 :
Perfect Dark (would be good if they could get a chance to improve the frame rate and filtering).

PC : XCom (shame that the Xcom : Alliance game never got off the ground properly)
Transport Tycoon
Carmageddon

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also LOVE to see a new BattleClash/MetalCombat (SNES) sequel for the Wii. Anyone else play those?
The Super Scope game?

I hated the Super Scope, it was such a let down not to have a "next-gen" Zapper on the Snes. I don't know if Konami released the justifier lightgun for the SNES or not, by the way.

The game would fare way better without Naka. Any game would, if you ask me.

Yeah, the producer and designer of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic2, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Samba de Amigo and many more is really bad to have making games.

Yeah, the producer and designer of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic2, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Samba de Amigo and many more is really bad to have making games.
Yeah, that's what I said.

Naka didn't make a good game since the DC days, if you ask me.

Old franchises to bring back

What franchises/original IP's would you want to see return in a new incarnation for the current consoles? And to define an old franchise for the purpose of this thread, let's say anything Playstation 1 or lower (old PC franchises okay too since it'll probably end up as a console game anyway). What I'd like to see:

Bionic Commando: A new Bionic Commando could turn out bad due to the mechanics, but it could turn out really good if done right. It would be interesting to see what today's Capcom could do with this concept.

Golgo 13: It was probably the most mature game released on the NES with a ruthless main character. Now that the spy genre is popular, it would be a good time to see this character in a game again.

Phantasy Star: A proper one-player RPG without the trappings of the MMO.

Oops. Didn't realize it was discussed already. Maybe a mod can merge the 2 threads if it's similar enough.

A next gen Double Dragon would also be cool if done right.

Double Dragon/Streets of Rage/Final Fight: Could beat-em-ups work with new console? I think so. Isn't Bully kind of a beat-em-up? Bringing back any of these old games definitely needs 2 players simultaneous though. I imagine the weapon combat could be something like the chainsaw combat of Gears of War.

Battlezone (PC, 1998).

RTS / FPS hybrid that even had some RPG elements (upgrades and powerups). One of the best games I have ever played (good SP, even better MP). Seeing as Halo was originally an RTS, Halo would be a perfect canidate for the theme for such a game.

Back