Old games made anew

Sonic

Veteran
First off, I apologize for my rather vague title thread. Now to get into the meat of this thread!!!!

What console titles of the past, let's say dating back to PS1, N64, and Saturn eras and before would you like to see remade into new titles for the new generation of consoles? These games cannot have sequels on Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox. Other than that it is fair game, it can be the same game remade with better graphics or it can be a sequel to a game or a new iteration.

Just posted this to see if we could spice some things up a bit and get discussion flowing a bit on different topics.

well a new battle arena toshinden and a new destruction derby with nextgen power would be awesome. I had lots of fun with the original Destruction Derby many many years ago on PS1.
Would be cool with the new cell and tricore cpu's we have now. thousends of pieces flying everywhere when you crash .

Alundra.

The original game was fun and hard. It took me a while to finish it. BTW, Alundra 2 was not a real sequel, just a game with the alundra name pasted on it to make it sell.

X-Com: UFO Defense. I know it's a PC game, but still...I haven't seen any turn-based tactics with that kind of depth in a long, long time.

X-Com: UFO Defense. I know it's a PC game, but still...I haven't seen any turn-based tactics with that kind of depth in a long, long time.

There was a PS1 version and it was actually quite good.

My pick is a 3D, multiplayer (networked) Herzog Zwei.

UFO had a number of sequels though, violating Sonic's criteria again. Good game though. Shame it got ruined in later efforts.

I would love to see a follow-up to Vagrant Story, but now that Matsuno has left Square-Enix I'd hate for them to touch the game without him.

Perfect Dark on the 64. The X360 was not a sequel, in fact, I am not sure I would even call it a game. You didn't mention this console on the list for possible sequels but this game is too deserving of a sequel to not be mentioned. It is quite overdue for one too. Faxanadu on the NES. I don't want any 3d crap for this game. Make it 2d or a 2.5d sidescroller. Cyborg Justice for the Sega needs a sequeal very badly. Alright I am just going to make a list:

Gunstar Heroes (SEGA)
Adventures of LOLO (NES)
Toe Jam and Earl (SEGA)
Phantasy Star I,II,III,IV (SEGA) I mean a real sequel not that crap they call a game
Shining Force I,II (SEGA) There are some spiritual successors
Streets of Rage I,II,III (SEGA)
Ecco the Dolphin (SEGA) Last I saw of this was on the Dreamcast I think.
Golden Axe (SEGA)
NIGHTS (SEGA SATURN)
Kid Icarus (NES)
Comix Zone (SEGA)
Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Sam and Max, and all those other LA titles like this (PC)
Panzer Dragoon (SEGA Saturn, Xbox) Yeah so what, it was done on the Xbox
Shadowrun (SEGA) look at the NOTE below
Mega Man (NES) A sequel that doesn't suck; NintendoDS and GameboyAdvance I am looking at you.
Masters of Monsters (SEGA)

NOTE for Shadowrun: Some may say, to their own ignorance, that Shadowrun (SEGA) is actually getting a sequel on the X360 and PC. This is not a sequel. The only thing in common this game will have with the Shadowrun Universe is that it has the same name. That is were the similarities end. This game is a FPS CTF. There is no depth of gameplay, immersion, or dystopian atmosphere whatsoever in this title. It also bear no resemblance to the Shadowrun Universe whatsover. Therefore this is not an actual sequel to Shadowrun (SEGA) because it isn't actually a Shadowrun game. Microsoft and FASA felt they would make a FPS CTF with a Sci-Fi like atmosphere and slap a random IP they owned onto it. After they drew the selected IPs from a hat they came up with Shadowrun. There was no collaboration done with any of the Shadowrun developers or any of the freelance writers. /rant

So there my list. I didn't play the SNES that much so that is why you don't see any SNES titles. Though I am sure there are plenty of SNES titles that need a sequel. There are some more games I would like to add but I can't remember their names. They are of course SEGA titles.

Great thread idea

We need more action RPGs, such as SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, Landstalker, Story of Thor, Terranigma, etc...
Burning Rangers and Vagrant Story.
Yes and yes.

But as pointed out earlier in the thread, the fact that Matsuno left (or was let go, depend on the version) Square-Enix may hinder the quality of a hypothetic sequel.

That said, unlike some narrow minded fans, I don't think that a good sequel has to absolutely be produced by the original producer to be a good game.
Actually in some cases, it better to have new folks at the helm because they'd be more cautious with the IP, unlike the original creator who may develop a god complex and consider that it's its creation and that he could do whatever he wants with it (which is true to a certain extent, but the outcome could be something like what Invisible War is to Deus Ex...).
Yeah, Burning Rangers is a game that really could be improved on the next-gen systems. To bad it would probably be impossible to get Naka, Oshima and Miyoshi together again...
The game would fare way better without Naka. Any game would, if you ask me.
Alundra.

The original game was fun and hard. It took me a while to finish it. BTW, Alundra 2 was not a real sequel, just a game with the alundra name pasted on it to make it sell.
Both Alundra, even Contrail's Alundra 2 were great games.
Some people didn't like the difficulty of Alundra 2, though.
Sequels/remakes would be more than welcome.

All the old Bitmap Brothers games from the Amiga, also Shadow of the Beast and Hybris. The first time I ever saw games of that quality outside the arcade. Up till that point I'd been content with Viking Raiders on the Spectrum and Outrun (the first one) in glorious CGA on a i186 machine.

Sigh. Those were the daze. When games were fun even in four colours ;)

Back