Okami... wow

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Just started playing Okami and well, like many other reported, i'm speechless. I've only played for about 40 minutes which covers the "training" - bit boring like most other training parts in games - but i'm already in awe of what this game is.

Not only it's beautiful - we knew that - but it's just got something... Not sure what it is but it's one of those games that are just an amazing experience and need to be played to be understood.

Listen to me, i'm writing as if i finished the game! God knows what i'll write when i do finish it! :LOL:

Anyway, let's make this the Okami loving and appreciation thread, it's very well deserved.
As for European gamers who don't import, well tough for you i'm playing through this and you'll have to wait months!! :devilish:

Man...I really want this game but I'm trying to hold out for a couple more months (well actually a little less than 2 ;)). Hopefully I can get it at a discount on black friday or somthing. Saving my pennies for the ps3 stuff in november, so money is tight. Playing this on the ps3, hopefully will come with some perks of upscaling (backwards compatibility ftw!).

If you played god of war, would you say this is better, worse, or equal to the amount of fun factor your having london-boy? :)

Man...I really want this game but I'm trying to hold out for a couple more months (well actually a little less than 2 ;)). Hopefully I can get it at a discount on black friday or somthing. Saving my pennies for the ps3 stuff in november, so money is tight. Playing this on the ps3, hopefully will come with some perks of upscaling (backwards compatibility ftw!).

If you played god of war, would you say this is better, worse, or equal to the amount of fun factor your having london-boy? :)

Well as i said, i only played just past the training part, where you're told how to control the wolf and the divine brush thing, so nothing much has happened apart from explaining what happened story-wise.

But even at this stage, the game is absolutley magical. Oh and totally whacky, japanese style, which i love!

God of War is a completely different game that shouldn't even be mentoned in this thread!! :smile:

This is a feel-good game and a feel-good thread, God of War, as good as it was, is a diametrically opposite kind of experience. For what it's worth though, GOW started off straight away by putting you into the battle, which is not something that happens in Okami.

Ah I see, yeah my fault on the god of war bit, the games obviously should not be compared. Just I kinda see them being around the same amount of fun factors from different spectrums, if that made any sense. It's funny because I think I made a GoW thread a long time ago on another forum with the same amount of enthusiasm as you are showing for okami. But thats another story...

Anyways, from what I'm hearing you are not the only one feeling this way about the game :), I hope I can restrain myself for a little while. It really does sound like great title for anybody who calls themselves a gamer.

When you finish the game could you explain it to me? I heard it wasn't dungeon-centric but it was more about the overworld and the story or something. Sounds interesting but I'm not sure yet.

You said that you just finished the training bit, am I correct in assuming that you haven't even seen the first "bloom" sequence then? (In the flower/spring, not bad HDR sense)
If so, you ain't seen nothing yet. I'm about 8 hours into the game and still continually amazed by both the artistry of the visuals and the depth and breadth of the gameplay. Ico and SotC had the former, but it is the latter that makes Ōkami not just a great piece of art, but also a thoroughly enjoyable game.

As someone put it in another forum I visit:
I just love how much work has been put into this game. It has to be one of the most FUN games I have played in a long time.
Personally, I believe that this is the very first time that someone managed to take the 3D Zelda-like game model that debuted in Ocarina of Time and actually improved on it many ways, all the while also adding a completely unique touch.

If there is anything at all that one could nitpick it would be the difficulty. I have no idea what the "Game Over" screen looks like, or even if my food pouch would really revive me if I lost all my solar energy :D

Do not hold out on this game! Contribute the extra few dollars to give development of games like this that extra push, as the industry sorely needs it!

I have no idea what Clover's plans are for next gen consoles, but I have a feeling it will make my very soul weep for joy! It is quite honestly a pinnacle in gaming, and I am surely glad to see it not get lost in the din of the PS3 and Wii releases.

I cannot think of a single game that encompasses visual brilliance, artistic design, straightforward enjoyable gameplay AND more challenging, in-depth substance for those who wish to pursue it.

Simply masterful.

Do not hold out on this game! Contribute the extra few dollars to give development of games like this that extra push, as the industry sorely needs it!
I have no idea what Clover's plans are for next gen consoles, but I have a feeling it will make my very soul weep for joy! It is quite honestly a pinnacle in gaming, and I am surely glad to see it not get lost in the din of the PS3 and Wii releases.
I cannot think of a single game that encompasses visual brilliance, artistic design, straightforward enjoyable gameplay AND more challenging, in-depth substance for those who wish to pursue it.
Simply masterful.
Okay. That convinced me but I heard some people give this game a lot of criticism.

You said that you just finished the training bit, am I correct in assuming that you haven't even seen the first "bloom" sequence then? (In the flower/spring, not bad HDR sense)
If so, you ain't seen nothing yet. I'm about 8 hours into the game and still continually amazed by both the artistry of the visuals and the depth and breadth of the gameplay. Ico and SotC had the former, but it is the latter that makes Ōkami not just a great piece of art, but also a thoroughly enjoyable game.

As someone put it in another forum I visit:
Personally, I believe that this is the very first time that someone managed to take the 3D Zelda-like game model that debuted in Ocarina of Time and actually improved on it many ways, all the while also adding a completely unique touch.

If there is anything at all that one could nitpick it would be the difficulty. I have no idea what the "Game Over" screen looks like, or even if my food pouch would really revive me if I lost all my solar energy :D

I'm not sure what you mean by "bloom sequence", but bacisally i just cut the fruit from the tree and the village magically "revived". That was very pretty. That's it, i had to go to bed :D

Can't wait to see more, i'm sure i've seen nothing yet.

Too bad they made the main character a magical wolf with a magic paintbrush, and not a big bald buff space marine with spraygun.
How am I going to identify with a character like that, how can I possibly feel like being in the gameworld??
I have not played videogames for all these years and all of a sudden expected to be a lupus with artistic skills!!?!?
I'm a trained badass killer, frollicking in flowery meadows on all fours is just too gay!

Simply masterful.

Couldn't agree more. The other day I was running around making the dead trees re-blossom. The sense of peace and wonder and beauty that I felt as each tree came back to life was amazing and something I've never experienced in any other game. It's like taking the exploration and adventure aspects of Zelda and combine it with the emotional imact of Ico or SotC, then adding an art design all its own.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bloom sequence", but bacisally i just cut the fruit from the tree and the village magically "revived". That was very pretty. That's it, i had to go to bed :D

Can't wait to see more, i'm sure i've seen nothing yet.
I'm about 10 hours in, and the game is all about causing the land to bloom again, either in small pieces using your paint brush (little hills, dead trees) or small areas (by killing these demon houses? Don't know what they're called) or large areas by beating a dungeon.

It's quite amazing, every time it happens.

I'm still trying to figure out why this game wasn't on a Nintendo console :LOL:

ditto. i believe there was already a discussioin on this forum about the divine brush thingie and why the heck it is not on the wiimote ; ) .. hmm, could the reason be something commonly abbreviated as TLZ:TTP?..

also, let me be another one to heartily recommend this title - though i only played through a short demo, i can testify that it's a good game (tm).

I just bought this game but I haven't opened it.
I'm still trying to finish Disgaea 2.
I'm so tempted now.
Atleast I'm very happy to know that I made the right decision in buying it.

Okay. That convinced me but I heard some people give this game a lot of criticism.

Criticism? I haven't heard any. Curious as to what they said? I'm tempted to just outright call them crazy, but I am curious.

It's one of the best games of the year so far... certainly one of the prettiest. It looks rather incredible and is quite a bit of fun. It's zelda-ish, except I found it more entertaining than any zelda since the SNES one (just my opinion, but a zelda comparison is probably pretty accurate... it's action/adventure with a slight bit of rpg character growth).

I'll be very sad if they don't make a next-gen sequel with the same art style (could be the same engine with no added effects, just higher res and I'd be happy). If zelda games sell millions, this deserves to sell millions too, but it won't. =/

Buy this game!

I almost bought this game yesterday but I bought Valkyrie Profile 2 instead. I knew I should have bought both of them :cry:

Back