Official White Knight Story (level 5 RPG) thread

White Knight Story announced on PS3
The Japanese magazine Famitsu reveals the first images of White Knight Story on PlayStation 3, the RPG future signed Level-5 at the origin in particular of Quest Dragon: The odyssey of King Maudit on PlayStation 2. Little information filtered for the moment, one knows only that the play will propose to fight monsters of very big size. more to follow soon!
\

google translate
is your friend

Last edited by a moderator:

not sure you want to post scans (or images of magazines) here.

edit:
but yeah, taken from gaf (thx to duckroll)
Some details about White Knight Story

- Tons and tons of HUGE monsters on an unsurpassed scale
- The field and combat engine is like a normal RPG
- Battles with huge monsters have a very great sense of scale

Someone on 2ch mentioned that it was going for the feel of SotC, except as a RPG.
there are some larger scans around, and its a real looker from Level 5 no less. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect some more JRPG announcement for Sony's platform(s) to counter the like of Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and other recently announced RPG for 360. I don't expect this game to hit US shore at least a year after Japan's release. I'm still waiting for Rogue Galaxy.

There is hope though for early adopter. From what I read, a few Asian (outside Japan) version of Japanese made X360 games have English text (subtitles, menu, etc) over Japanese sound/voice track. Including Enchanted Arms. But it'd be up to devs to lock the region or not.

.Z

New details from IGN
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733845p1.html

White Knight Story has all the elements of a Japanese RPG, from giant, freely navigated fields of play to battles. The fields of play let you see far into the distance so that you can identify enemies from afar. Enemies will also spot you, and will combine forces to attack.

Hino revealed to Famitsu that one of the big goals of the battle system in White Knight Story was realism both on the visual and gameplay levels. The game uses some sort of complex animation blending system, which Hino feels could not be achieved on previous systems. Level 5 made its own capture studio in order to create the game.

and just for cthellis42... ;)
White Knight Story places an emphasis on scale. In addition to the giant White Knight himself, and a similarly sized rival Black Knight, you'll encounter large-scale cities and enemies that extend over 2000 meters in size. One turtle-like enemy carries a full town on its back!

I expect some more JRPG announcement for Sony's platform(s) to counter the like of Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and other recently announced RPG for 360. I don't expect this game to hit US shore at least a year after Japan's release. I'm still waiting for Rogue Galaxy.

There is hope though for early adopter. From what I read, a few Asian (outside Japan) version of Japanese made X360 games have English text (subtitles, menu, etc) over Japanese sound/voice track. Including Enchanted Arms. But it'd be up to devs to lock the region or not.

.Z
well the english texts plus english voiceacts are already done for 360 version on enchanted arms.
so I guess it could come quickly.
not even close to a counter act on those games we saw today though.

Level 5 is by far one of my favorite RPG devs, and DQ VIII was one of the best RPG's I've ever played. I can't wait 'til Rogue Galaxy or this new game!!!!!

Actually it sounds similar to Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud in some ways. The Dark Cloud games are definitely some of my favorites from the past generation. The first Dark Cloud was probably the first 'must-have' game I played on the PS2 and its sequel was an across-the-board upgrade that was an excellent game in all regards.

I kinda hated the Dark Cloud 2 game, still haven't finished it.
The dungeons got boring, and I just couldn't get those Georamas finished.
The constant building and trying to figure out who should live where and what to build was a chore. I just couldn't figure out the damn georamas without resorting to faq's.

I liked the style of the game, and would so much like to finish it some day, but it's just a mixture of confusing and boring gameplay to me.
The boss battles were good, but to wade through too long repetitive dungeons and town building is just too much.

Dragon Quest VIII, I love though.
It starts slow, the battles can be repetitive, but it's just balanced so right it never feels boring.
DQ was an Enix/Level 5 game though, with the gameplay more Enix, and programming more Level 5, am I right?

I don't know if the Rogue Galaxy is closer to DC or DQ, or FF's. From what I read it seems to be closer to Final Fantasies though, which is good.
So, I kinda have a love/hate relationship with Level 5 games. DQ made me love them and wait for what they come up next with anticipation. If it had been just the Dark Cloud games, I probably would not take much notice on Rogue Galaxy.

I'm intrigued about White Knight Story. It'll be interesting to see what they'll be able to do with PS3 and graphics that are more "realistic" in style.

To answer you question Rabid, it seems like Rogue Galaxy will have combat more similar to Dark Cloud (in that it is real-time), but definately more of a FF or DQ feel in terms of story and overall gameplay... at least that's what I take from the previews I've read.

Rogue Galaxy is a brilliant game, real time battles, can swop team members during battle and team up with other members for special attacks. (basically hack and slash though, much like Kingdom Hearts)

Look forward to seeing more on this game.

Dark Cloud 2 was probably one of my favorite games last generation. I haven't tried any of the other Level 5 games though. Maybe I'll try and give Rogue Galaxy a shot when it comes out.

Hope we see more of this at TGS.

Sounds pretty fantastic... SoTC style monsters in an RPG on a next gen console? From a rather talented studio too?

Rogue Galaxy needs to hurry up and come out... So does Jeanne D'Arc (I think that's what it's called?).

Site is up
http://www.level5.co.jp/products/shirokishi/index.html
ph001.jpg

The rest of the screens (apart from the one above, and the "Knight" style character) are just concept art paintings.
This game sure sounds interesting, and the paintings paint a very pretty picture and promise of an intriguing game world.

Speaking of the paintings, wouldn't it be cool if some day they invented a rendering tech that would allow games to look like those paintings, and the power too of course ;)

Back