"Oddworld bails out of gaming, heads to film and TV&quo

The outspoken company president and creative director, who created the Oddworld universe with co-founder and CEO Sherry McKenna in 1994, has always had a tempestuous relationship with the videogames industry - and this interview is no different, with Lanning slamming EA's handling of Stranger's Wrath and the entire industry's creative direction.

"It was very disheartening to us," he said, "that we could have a title with a Metacritic.com user metric of 9.6, a game that was praised as being a fusion of filmmaking and video games in terms of being less 'gamey' and more story- and character-driven... and then to see that the largest publisher in the industry had no interest in marketing it regardless of how innovative it was."

I'm no fan of Lorne Lanning, but he's got a point here, and I feel bad for them. For whatever else was wrong with them, Oddworld at least did its darndest to create fun, innovative games. I never thought I'd say this, but more game developers should be like them.

Oh - and how ironic that a far-out, but great, game like Stranger would get the cold shoulder from EA - the cookie-cutter company.

More and more, I'm starting to think that EA is bad for this industry. :devilish:

What did he expect, for EA to flood the airwaves with commercials for an unproven franchise?

MS did it for their launch Xbox game and it still didn't sell that well.

Maybe they're just not producing games that appeal to enough people.

AtariAlum said:
So long losers, you won't be missed.

Guess whoring yourself for Microsoft was no substitute for talent.

"Talent" being making games for your favourite platform?

I think his problem is the insistence on owning the IP. It had nothing to do with his connection to microsoft. They were supposed to release more games after signing the deal with MS, and not only that, they took FAR too long with Stranger in development. Was it a good game? yes! was MS going to make thier money back after 4 years? no. MS must have recieved some of it's money back by selling the rights to another publisher. Not the first time somehting like this has happenend.

Anyway, the market has gotten real strange over the past few years. Publishers are the only people backing the production of games, yet they don't want to take the risk on a unproven franchise. Not only that, he wasn't willing to sell his franchise, or form teh sound of things his company, which is a typical practice in the development community these days.

You gotta ask, what was he in business for if he didn't want to sell his company at some point down the road. That's really the only way to make your money these days. Build the company and plan to sell it to a publisher. There's just no way to stay independant forever.

You gotta ask, what was he in business for if he didn't want to sell his company at some point down the road.

Umm...to make and sell videogames? I think it's safe to say that most business strategies don't revolve around the pump n' dump.

That said, I'm not sure anyone but Lorn and Co. are responsible for thier situation. And trying to blame the publisher for poor performance isn't exactly a classy move either.

Yeah the videogame industry is tough, but as long as the money is there, somebody else will step in to fill the 'void'. And I do believe I am being generous when I use the word. =P

Umm...to make and sell videogames? I think it's safe to say that most business strategies don't revolve around the pump n' dump.

Well he kept complainiing about making money, and that's how you do it these days. You don't have to leave the company but selling to a publisher can make certain you can pay everyone what they should be making.

And trying to blame the publisher for poor performance isn't exactly a classy move either.
it' was about freedom of creativity .Producer just wants to hear you developper say:
'we 'd like to make a *-like but in better,with some ingredients of * and * '
,where * is a proven cash cow .

wco81 said:
What did he expect, for EA to flood the airwaves with commercials for an unproven franchise?

Well, all the Oddworld games have garnered critical acclaim. They've been some of the most unique and interesting titles ever produced. So they're proven - proven to be good.

Maybe they're just not producing games that appeal to enough people.

Ah. Hammer strikes nail. On the head.

Anyway, kind of a shame. I never liked Lorne, but I dug his games.

Qroach said:
You gotta ask, what was he in business for if he didn't want to sell his company at some point down the road.
Yeah, I bet you think Bill Gates is a real dumbass for not having sold off Microsoft a long time ago... ;)

I don't like Lorn any more than the next person (loudmouth that he is), but maybe the guy is in it for the satisfaction of making games his own way and not whoring himself and his ideas out just to make a quick buck. Hell, it's working for 3DRealms, you see them selling Duke Nukem any time soon? Or id giving up their IP? Carmack seems to be able to afford his rocketry and ferrari hobbies just fine as it is... Dunno what you're smoking man, must be some good shit. ;)

Guden Oden said:
Qroach said:
Yeah, I bet you think Bill Gates is a real dumbass for not having sold off Microsoft a long time ago... ;)

I don't like Lorn any more than the next person (loudmouth that he is), but maybe the guy is in it for the satisfaction of making games his own way and not whoring himself and his ideas out just to make a quick buck. Hell, it's working for 3DRealms, you see them selling Duke Nukem any time soon? Or id giving up their IP? Carmack seems to be able to afford his rocketry and ferrari hobbies just fine as it is... Dunno what you're smoking man, must be some good shit. ;)

I do recall Oddworld Inhabitants being payed quite a lot of cash for an Xbox exclusive Oddworld title. ;)

Guden Oden said:
I don't know if you're arguing seriously or if you're just messing with Q, but your own examples shows that only the old guard of this industry could afford to keep their IP, and to make a living off of it.

It's not about "wanting to make a quick buck out of it", it's about surviving as a game developer. Without a non-stop financial backing from a publisher, it's almost impossible to produce any game these days. 'Cause, if your project fails, you're as good as dead.

Yeah, I bet you think Bill Gates is a real dumbass for not having sold off Microsoft a long time ago...

Games development and PC software development are two totally different things man. jeez guden, if you can't see how MS making an operating system for PC hardware is different from a developer making a single game in a field of many, then well... sigh...

Back