Apple moving into Console Gaming?

pharma

Legend
Apple reportedly interested in creating its own gaming console | KitGuru
Back in January, we heard that Apple had been poaching Xbox engineers for the purpose of building a console of sorts. Now, according to rumours coming out of Taiwan, Apple has been approaching developers and hardware makers for consulting, with the goal of figuring out what it would take to build a gaming console, or turn the Apple TV into one.

Apparently, publishers like Ubisoft and Capcom have been active in giving Apple advice on the console games market. Both of these publishers have previously been active with cloud gaming initiatives, but it sounds like Apple is interested in dedicated hardware, not necessarily a game streaming service.

Apple will never build a video-game focused console.
The last time Apple attempted to make a console was when they were close to bankruptcy and absolutely lost in the wilderness before Jobs returned.

I think they're consulting and looking for advice in terms of getting developers on board. Perhaps trying to convince them to build games natively in Metal.

The last time Apple attempted to make a console was when they were close to bankruptcy and absolutely lost in the wilderness before Jobs returned.

I think they're consulting and looking for advice in terms of getting developers on board. Perhaps trying to convince them to build games natively in Metal.

Why would they not? Apple is in a different stage today then back when they tried this last time. They have their own hardware, software, a trillion dollars, gaming is bigger than ever and people seem to want to pay big cash for it (people are happily paying over 1200 dollars for a PS5). Their macbooks and mac machines are certainly not aimed at the gamer market but a new small Apple console could make sense.
Im sure they are atleast considering/researching that market idea, gaming on iphones (phones in general) is quite popular, Apple arcade could tie in with a game console in the future. We really dont know, its certainly a possibility discussed before, and with the recent leak that they are intrested in dedicated hardware/games console is intresting to say the least.

What would a possible Apple console look like you guys think? (if it were a thing that is). It wouldnt have to be a M1 Ultra, even the A15 is quite capable, but todays Ipad airs have the M1 already (8core). Perhaps a M1 max as found in the Studio? It wouldnt need 64gb's of ram perhaps but 16 to 32, less premium build and cooling. Apple certainly could afford to join that market with a price premium.

Also worth thinking is that their console could tie in into their existing eco system of phones, mac's, ipads and apple watches. Would be quite a nice approach and very different to what we have today. With Apple Arcade already in place and mature, they have all the foundations to atleast not just dismiss the whole idea.

Why would they not? Apple is in a different stage today then back when they tried this last time. They have their own hardware, software, a trillion dollars, gaming is bigger than ever and people seem to want to pay big cash for it (people are happily paying over 1200 dollars for a PS5). Their macbooks and mac machines are certainly not aimed at the gamer market but a new small Apple console could make sense.
Im sure they are atleast considering/researching that market idea, gaming on iphones (phones in general) is quite popular, Apple arcade could tie in with a game console in the future. We really dont know, its certainly a possibility discussed before, and with the recent leak that they are intrested in dedicated hardware/games console is intresting to say the least.

What would a possible Apple console look like you guys think? (if it were a thing that is). It wouldnt have to be a M1 Ultra, even the A15 is quite capable, but todays Ipad airs have the M1 already (8core). Perhaps a M1 max as found in the Studio? It wouldnt need 64gb's of ram perhaps but 16 to 32, less premium build and cooling. Apple certainly could afford to join that market with a price premium.

Remember that Apple makes more money from games just with their iOS devices than the console makers combined. So they're not exactly desperate here.

Apple could enter any computing market if they really wanted to. But they're very selective in terms of what markets to enter, exit, or create when it comes to hardware decisions. Building a game console goes against the company's ethos, and there are too many executives in the company who despise many aspects of the gaming market.

They most likely view gaming as something that can be taken care of under their "Services" portfolio. My bet is that they're thinking to expand the library of games offered on Apple Arcade. In addition to the current crop of mobile-focused indie games on Apple Arcade, we will see Apple add expand their game library much like how they established their streaming platform.

EDIT: Simply put, Apple just doesn't "get" AAA console/PC gaming.

Remember that Apple makes more money from games just with their iOS devices than the console makers combined. So they're not exactly desperate here.

Apple could enter any computing market if they really wanted to. But they're very selective in terms of what markets to enter, exit, or create when it comes to hardware decisions. Building a game console goes against the company's ethos, and there are too many executives in the company who despise many aspects of the gaming market.

They most likely view gaming as something that can be taken care of under their "Services" portfolio. My bet is that they're thinking to expand the library of games offered on Apple Arcade. In addition to the current crop of mobile-focused indie games on Apple Arcade, we will see Apple add expand their game library much like how they established their streaming platform.

EDIT: Simply put, Apple just doesn't "get" AAA console/PC gaming.

You're probably correct imo. What i mean is that Apple probably has done research into it (or one of their research teams probably) to see what profits and market they could gain on an idea like this.
They most likely wont, the possibility is there and intresting for sure though. They'd be beating competitors in areas like integration into current eco-systems (phone, watch, computers, tablets etc), probably hardware (efficient hardware and software integration), performance and they carry the brand name which is the most popular probably in the computing space.

For sure that a small mac studio-like machine could be a capable, small and silent console enough to atleast compete. If they would be a 'threat' to MS, Sony and Nintendo? Probably not to the extend that either would have to leave the market.

Apple did some abrupt stops of their Apple Arcade contracts, so they've burned a few bridges there that hasn't been repaired yet.

If they bring the app store over to an m1 or future m chip they could have a pretty decent machine on their hands. I also think larger developers would port to their platform. The biggest issue is their own exclusives to lock players into the console. Maybe they can just money hat games like epic is dong right now or sony and ms have done in the past. I mean they have so much it would hardly matter

The biggest issue is their own exclusives to lock players into the console.
If Apple are looking to further exploit gaming, they will most likely be looking toward mobile gaming. Mobile dwarfs console and PC gaming.

An Apple console would be an over-engineered masterpiece of design with no slots or anywhere to plug anything in (apart from the proprietary power cord that takes a special tool or the Hulk to remove), a controller with a thumbstick, 1 "intent" button, and an OLED haptic "caress surface", costing $999 + subscription.

Honestly ... I'm not that sure anymore. I could see them turning apple tv into a more gaming capable device with games that could also run on macbook, imac, mac studio etc. I'd expect it wouldn't try to go head to head in terms of processing power with series x and ps5 necessarily. They could even take the xbox approach with two tiers of apple tv (eg apple tv, apple tv plus). I don't think they'd really have to market it fully as a console. It would just be an apple tv that can play call of duty now.

Honestly ... I'm not that sure anymore. I could see them turning apple tv into a more gaming capable device with games that could also run on macbook, imac, mac studio etc. I'd expect it wouldn't try to go head to head in terms of processing power with series x and ps5 necessarily. They could even take the xbox approach with two tiers of apple tv (eg apple tv, apple tv plus). I don't think they'd really have to market it fully as a console. It would just be an apple tv that can play call of duty now.
Well, they are sticking M1 into everything they can right now, so that is definitely the base line with regards to performance.

Well, not quite everything, their phones won't be using it and those ship in far larger volumes than all M1 based devices combined. :p

Regards,
SB

Which means most iDevices arent using it, probably wont either as newer designs from Apple will probably more performant and efficient anyway (A series) for the smartphone market.

Back