Odd PSU problem

IIRC Tagans runs hot due to being very quiet but with low airflow making internals quite warm and exposed despite full load 50c ambient temp limit. However I have been out of PSU market for sometime but why not give a quick glance at this site that has extensive and well done PSU reviews? :)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section10.html

if you do a bit of searching, there are a lot of people who have had issues with Enermax. YMMV.
Anecdotal evidence. Proves what, exactly? The internet's a big place, if you "do a bit of searching" you'll find people with problems with any manufacturer of any product you'll care to mention.

Enermax is also a fairly big manufacturer that has been in the performance PSU business for a long time now. I remember back when the thunderbird was the bee's knees, Enermax 300-400W units were the equivalent of today's 1kW+. There's bound to be people with failed units, statistically speaking it'd be unavoidable.

Just because you had two units fail on you doesn't mean a third, fourth, fifth...would also. My Revo 85+ is warrantied for five years, I think they're pretty confident of the build and design quality...

Corsair make good solid PSU. I used them for many systems that need high wattage and hold up well. You might have a bad cap in the PSU thats holding a charge. If you know some EE and ok with a soldiering iron you might find it and replace it if the RMA is no good.

Avoid Enermax myself. Have had a lot of friends both over the net and in RL that have had problems with them.

Used to like FSP. But they kind of went downhill a few years ago.

Do like Seasonic and PC Power and Cooling.

Hate almost all Antec PSU's with the exception of the CPS-850 I'm currently using. This is is massive with lots of open air in the PSU made possible by it being a custome oversized PSU for Antec cases.

Regards,
SB

Anecdotal evidence. Proves what, exactly? The internet's a big place, if you "do a bit of searching" you'll find people with problems with any manufacturer of any product you'll care to mention.

That people have had problems with Enermax products?

I did say YMMV, but if you look, there are a lot of people that have sworn off Enermax because of problems, certainly out of proportion for such a big name brand. I've never had two PSUs from the same manufacturer fail in such a short time except for Enermax which is why I've joined all those people in crossing them off my buying list.

It's not personal, just I've had a bad experience with a couple of them, and other people seem to have had the same, so there's no reason for me to continue spending my money on their products when there are other product to buy that seem to be better.

Not sure how you'd accurately determine what is an un/acceptable proportion of problems from data gathered from forums on the internet. Typically, people post if they have problems, not if everything is A-OK. If you see "many" (exact definition unspecified) with problems with enermax PSUs, it might simply reflect their market share.

It's fine if you don't want to buy any more of their products, but the motivation you use sound a lot like roughly 100 or so different posts I've seen that roughly said, "I've had n HDDs of Brand X die on me and I'll never buy them again!", only to have another dude say, "I've had n+q of Brand X and all of them run just fine." ...And of course, Brand X is a pretty much even spread of all the brands on the market. So much for anecdotal evidence, heh!

Therefore I don't put that much belief in posts full of weasel words like "a lot", "many" etc... :)

I can just say, my Enermax is a damn solidly built unit, and sites like HOCP for example hold them in very high regards. So IMO, it's a good brand. :)

It's really luck of the draw with hardware failure rates when you're dealing in such small samples. I've been a PC tech for nearly a decade now and I can't say there's a single name brand of components I absolutely refuse to use due to reliability issues. I've tried most of them myself, and the only time I've had multiple issues was with a set of Crucial Ballistix PC-4000 DDR 1GB sticks, RMA'd 5 times over the course of a year or so. I haven't used Crucial since, but only because their Ballistix line tends to carry a price premium above my RAM budget for every build I've done since my no-holds-barred AMD build in '05/'06. My point is, a single bad product does not a bad company make.

Back