Power Supply Advice

Having seen your setup, I understand that thought. However, replacing a PSU in an existing setup, likely in a mini/mid tower, it's not very viable.

This was my PC two weeks ago, it had the same SFX power supply as my current SFF build has.

That's the beauty of buying an SFX PSU, it offers you such a wide range of freedom in terms of case choice.

There's quite a lot of micro cases that benefit from having the extra space an SFX PSU allows.

IMG20230924121321.jpg

If you really specifically want a Seasonic made PSU for whatever reason I believe Asus, Deepcool and Phanteks (and likely more) do have lines that are made by Seasonic. But you'd have to search which line uses which specific OEM/platform.

Anandtech just posted a glowing review of the Seasonic Focus GX-850, but I guess it doesn’t help much if you can’t source them easily.

FWIW I stopped worrying about PSUs and just went Seasonic across the board. Have 6 of them in use at the moment, and never had any problems with any of them. I like that they even started to offer official 12VHPWR and 12V-2x6 cables for older models, braided and a with a choice of straight or angled.

But Corsairs have been pretty good for me also.

I have a Corsair 750W now. Jonnyguru works there which is good enough for me. That said the ancient Seasonic 520W still works fine. It's like 13 years old and has an active running time of probably around 11 years. It even got a lightning surge about 8 years ago which fried the mobo but the PSU was fine. Absolute unit.

Anandtech just posted a glowing review of the Seasonic Focus GX-850, but I guess it doesn’t help much if you can’t source them easily.

FWIW I stopped worrying about PSUs and just went Seasonic across the board. Have 6 of them in use at the moment, and never had any problems with any of them. I like that they even started to offer official 12VHPWR and 12V-2x6 cables for older models, braided and a with a choice of straight or angled.

But Corsairs have been pretty good for me also.

I was wondering why there was a new review of that PSU as it's been out for quite a while. This is for the new ATX 3.0 version. I have the older non-ATX 3.0 version in my main PC and it's been fantastic.

Regards,
SB

I've seen ATX3.0 advertised PSUs that don't have the 12+4pin connector. What is that about?

Actually this is the PSU I have and it says ATX3.0/PCIe5.0 but it don't have the connector. Obviously it can use an adapter but it has no sense pins.
corsairs site says the cable is included, but it uses 2 pcie slots in the psu

It let's the connected add-in card (typically the GPU) know how much start up power and sustained power draw is available from the PSU.
you also can get cables with "fake" sense pins that just tells the gpu to just go for it

corsairs site says the cable is included, but it uses 2 pcie slots in the psu
They must've started including the adapter after I bought mine. But it still doesn't have any 2 way communication with the GPU and no adapter can change that. I guess the ATX3.0 spec doesn't actually require that.

you also can get cables with "fake" sense pins that just tells the gpu to just go for it
So these cables are hardwired for leroy jenkins mode (600W?)? Or do they typically report some lower value to the GPU? This seems pretty confusing.

From what I'm reading, the new connector isn't required, nor the sensors, but if they're not present then the power excursion rating can only be 150% of power instead of 200%. Thicker gauge wiring is required though to be ATX3 compliant.

From what I'm reading, the new connector isn't required, nor the sensors, but if they're not present then the power excursion rating can only be 150% of power instead of 200%. Thicker gauge wiring is required though to be ATX3 compliant.
we talking about the extra connectors near the cpu ? I didn't plug anything into them on my am5 board cause I have an older 1,000w supply. PC seems to work fine

So that Corsair RM850e should be decent, some local reviews complaining about fan/coil whine though.
How other than age does it differ from the RM850x?

Guess I'm waiting on Boxing day /new year sales now

Back