Power Supply Advice

I'm confused about that as well, theres a RM850, RM850e, RM850x and RM850x shift
all fully modular, 80 plus gold, atx how do they differ

we talking about the extra connectors near the cpu ? I didn't plug anything into them on my am5 board cause I have an older 1,000w supply. PC seems to work fine
Talking about the new 12+4pin PCIe connector I think.

I'm confused about that as well, theres a RM850, RM850e, RM850x and RM850x shift

Corsair uses various manufacturers to manufacture their PSUs, which leads to different materials (capacitors, circuit boards, fans, etc.) being used in the process. As such, Corsair can sell certain PSUs with similar specs, but at a lower (or higher) price depending on the manufacture and/or materials costs.

I reckon RM850 is the older model which had Chinese capacitors.

RM850x is newer and more premium with Japanese caps, and shift is the same but with the ports for the modular cables on the side rather than the back (which allows for cleaner cable routing but doesn't fit in many/most ATX cases).

And finally 850e is a more budget oriented newer model, again with Chinese caps.

we talking about the extra connectors near the cpu ? I didn't plug anything into them on my am5 board cause I have an older 1,000w supply. PC seems to work fine
My mobo has two 8 pin power connectors next to the CPU socket. Only one of them has to be connected. In fact it might work if only half of one is connected (4 pins) but I didn't test this.

My mobo has two 8 pin power connectors next to the CPU socket. Only one of them has to be connected. In fact it might work if only half of one is connected (4 pins) but I didn't test this.
yea that is how mine is now. I figured i'd buy a new power supply in a year or so and hopefully have that included( I buy one every 5 years or so. I had one go bad once and it was not fun)

yea that is how mine is now. I figured i'd buy a new power supply in a year or so and hopefully have that included( I buy one every 5 years or so. I had one go bad once and it was not fun)
You had a catastrophic PSU failure? I've never seen that. Seen many dead PSUs but never any ill effects on the computers they were powering, unless it was a lightning strike which doesn't count.

You had a catastrophic PSU failure? I've never seen that. Seen many dead PSUs but never any ill effects on the computers they were powering, unless it was a lightning strike which doesn't count.
had a 6 year old power supply that started smoking and shorted everything in the case. Needed a new cpu/ram/mobo/video card an drives. This was oh 2007 ish

had a 6 year old power supply that started smoking and shorted everything in the case. Needed a new cpu/ram/mobo/video card an drives. This was oh 2007 ish
Actually something similar did happen to me one time, but it was because my dog peed in the computer without my knowledge and it exploded the next time I turned it on. Can't fault the PSU for that. The ATX standard has no section on golden showers.

Surprisingly, even with my luck, I never encountered catastrophic PSU failure that damages other parts or even in fire.

I did experienced these tho

* smoke filling my room
* sudden BANG (one dead, another one works fine again after I unplug and plug it in again. Separate computer system, years apart)
* nothing happen. It's just dead. Got free upgrade via warranty

All of them didn't damage anything other than the psu itself.

I actually had issues with Seasonic PSUs; they'd shut down when power demand spiked fast, mainly.
My mining rigs from wayback wouldn't cold start with all the gpus connected (thought rebooting and full speed mining worked without problems)

on my 7980XE + 2 x Vega 64 system, no overclock, the 1000W Platinum Seasonic would shut down during 3d mark, though the power meter never got to 1000 (it could be the power meter being slow too ofc )

And i had a smaller one @ 750 W or something , which failed after 5 years or so and was rma'd sucessfully. ( On an FX 8350 system and mid range GPU (HD 6850 , GTX 460) )

Been replacing the Seasonics for the power hungry systems with Super Flower PSUs (branded as EVGA), which IMO are the only other comparable manufacturer (though Corsair and some other brands now enjoy a tighter relationship with manufacturers, so the likes of Delta or even CWT seem to come up with a splendid top of the line model every now and again too )

ATX 3.0 probably would address the power spikes issues i've had implicitly though with the power excursions spec, so i wouldn't worry anymore even when buying Seasonic.

For the record I actually did go with the RM850e.
Was going to go for the 850x but they were out of stock and there was a Seasonic/Phantex 1000W one for a bit less $ but still seemed too overkill imo.

Had some courier-tag but eventually all the bits arrived, put it together last weekend & working nicely :)

Back