Oculus Meta Quest 3

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
I'll continue to grumble about the dumb decision to stick the processing and battery in the headset. Give us computing pucks! The HMD size would end up half way between Quest 3 and Bigscreen beyond.

(And sell without for those that want a wired PC hmd)

interesting:

#
But that’s not all! In an upcoming software update, we’re updating the Quest 2 and Quest Pro GPU and CPU. Quest 2 and Pro will see an up-to 26% CPU performance increase with an up-to 19% GPU speed increase for Quest 2 and 11% for Quest Pro. As developers take advantage of these changes, you can expect smoother gameplay, a more responsive UI, and richer content on both headsets. And we’re enabling Dynamic Resolution Scaling for both Quest 2 and Quest Pro, so games and apps can take advantage of increased pixel density without dropping frames.

I'll continue to grumble about the dumb decision to stick the processing and battery in the headset. Give us computing pucks! The HMD size would end up half way between Quest 3 and Bigscreen beyond.

(And sell without for those that want a wired PC hmd)
Isn't that how Quest distinguishes itself from other HMD's? There are other choices available for a wired PC HMD.

So a better hint of Quest 3 resolution from a listing says '30% higher than Quest 2', which puts it somewhere around 2,064 x 2,208 per eye(1,920 x 1,832 for Quest 2). Also, controllers use standard AA batteries, which is great in my opinion(better charge, longer life, no cords needed, can quickly swap out if low).

I wont be getting this at launch, but I think it'll probably be my next VR headset. Still sitting on my ancient CV1, but really wanted a large leap for my next one, and one that was light and comfortable enough. The slimming down of Quest 3 is a huge factor for me. Even if it's not massively lighter, having all that weight closer in to your head is gonna make it feel a lot lighter and less noticeable as you swing your head around, and shouldn't need any additional cost headstrap or anything.

The slimming down of Quest 3 is a huge factor for me. Even if it's not massively lighter, having all that weight closer in to your head is gonna make it feel a lot lighter and less noticeable as you swing your head around, and shouldn't need any additional cost headstrap or anything

Hopefully Apple's battery puck move makes them consider that for the Quest 4. Apparently using a puck was an argument that Parmer Luckey lost as he was on his way out of the company.

Bet that would shave at least another 50g off, which is a healthy chunk.

So a better hint of Quest 3 resolution from a listing says '30% higher than Quest 2', which puts it somewhere around 2,064 x 2,208 per eye(1,920 x 1,832 for Quest 2). Also, controllers use standard AA batteries, which is great in my opinion(better charge, longer life, no cords needed, can quickly swap out if low).

I wont be getting this at launch, but I think it'll probably be my next VR headset. Still sitting on my ancient CV1, but really wanted a large leap for my next one, and one that was light and comfortable enough. The slimming down of Quest 3 is a huge factor for me. Even if it's not massively lighter, having all that weight closer in to your head is gonna make it feel a lot lighter and less noticeable as you swing your head around, and shouldn't need any additional cost headstrap or anything.

I dislike ignorant or deliberately misleading articles like this...

The Best Buy page says that the Quest 3 comes with two AA batteries, meaning that the new Touch Plus controllers will remain reliant on disposable batteries.

Seriously, does the author really not know that we've had rechargeable AA batteries for decades now? I mean those are about as disposable as a controller with an internal rechargeable battery. :p

Regards,
SB

Any info about fit and comfort?

Or a pro accessory still needed and still less comfortable than psvr?

This is the only hands on so far I think?

"Feels far lighter"

Hopefully Apple's battery puck move makes them consider that for the Quest 4. Apparently using a puck was an argument that Parmer Luckey lost as he was on his way out of the company.

Bet that would shave at least another 50g off, which is a healthy chunk.
I'm in two minds about that, as it means having another wire dangling from the thing. But yea, I do think lightness is a huge factor to make VR enjoyable.

It does make me sad to know how insanely better packaged a proper PCVR(non-standalone) headset they could make, though.

I'm still baffled that MS receive criticism for this too. Even with my daughter losing them all the time, rechargable AA batteries are such a sensible option for controllers.
No doubt. I think if you dont have rechargeable batteries, it feels like a sort of 'dated' move, but everyone should have rechargeable batteries by now.

I'm terrible at remembering to put things on recharge, having a box of rechargables ready to swap in when I have forgotten to put a controller on recharge one night is much better than having to have extra controllers to pick up the slack. I also get good rechargables so they last longer than the cheap rubbish they put in some things.

Back