Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

There are several (expensive) cell phone that are very water resistant. In general, any can be used in a light misty drizzle (aka, the UK 362 days of the year), but only the specialty designs would work in a downpour. without risking a short. Of course if you live in an area that rains deionized water, that's another story.

A rare design mis-step by Apple, IMHO.

Not rare par for the course.

Will go down with ipod gen 1, 2 mini , nano . Yellow Imacs , imac screens DOA. just to name a few from recent memory.

Apple quality is just as bad as any other companys quality if not more so. They just normaly don't get called out on it because of the fan base they have had in the past. Now that more casuals are getting into the mix they are starting to get called out on it more and more.

From Arstechnica post:

Nokia E71 video posted May 26th. Drops to 0 bars with a 3G microcell in the house.

HTC Droid Incredible video posted May 7th. Oscillates between 1 and 3 bars depending on where it's held. Only has 4 bars max signal.

Nexus One video posted Feb 10th. Drops all connectivity when held "wrong." Connectivity resumes after re-acquiring an EDGE connection, but the pause is long enough to drop a call.

Dripping wet?

They're not water-resistant watches.

Now if you're talking about finding some cover and then taking it out of your pocket to use, or under an umbrella, that's something else.

But there's no indication that iPhone 4 can't be used under those conditions either.

Every phone I've ever owned I've used in any situation neccesary, including rain, never had a single problem.

Still I can understand some people not wanting to use a expensive phone in heavy rain. What I found a bit odd was the suggestion that it would be a crazy idea to even touch an Iphone 4 while wet/sweaty. IMO when a phone gets so delicate/expensive that you're scared to touch it until you wash and dry your hands its no longer very useful as a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery life numbers:

From 100% charge to 0
6.5 hours of usage, 29 hours of idle time.

usage consisted of:
Brightness at 65% of max at all time with auto-brightness set to off
Mix of Wifi and 3G
2.5 hours of web browsing
2.5 hours of gaming
1 hour of email activity
40 mins of misc
10 mins of talk time

Not sure how that compares with other smartphones but this is a major step from my 3G and certainly makes me happy.

Received my iPhone today and all I can say is...WOW! This thing is a beauty and it's so thin yet feels super solid. Feels a bit more higher quality than the 3GS which I sold for a friend a few weeks ago. The design looks like the old Titanium PowerBook G4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_G4

I never owned an iPhone before but coming from a 3G flip-phone user I found quite a few dissapointments with the iPhone when it comes to actual phone features. First thing on the list is there is no Call Rejection phone list. :rolleyes:If that wasn't bad enough there is no way to set the ringer to silent for specific numbers which means I have to create a silent ringer track using Windows Sound Recorder then importing it to the phone.:???:

Second annoying thing is there is no way to transfer basic files to/from PC using WiFi. You can only use a cable with iTunes and it's for music/pictures/videos only.:nope:

Third, tried to send a file from my PC to the phone using BT and the phone isn't able to receive it or respond.:oops:

Fourth I couldn't find a way to add multiple phone numbers to a single contact, for example home phone, business phone, cellphone etc. which means I have to create 3 separate contacts ie Joe Cell, Joe Home, Joe Work.:rolleyes:

Those things aside the screen is amazing. Anyway for whatever reason I kept thinking that a Zune smartphone with the same features as this iPhone would be supercool. I actually really like the angular slim design of the ZuneHD.

Fourth I couldn't find a way to add multiple phone numbers to a single contact, for example home phone, business phone, cellphone etc. which means I have to create 3 separate contacts ie Joe Cell, Joe Home, Joe Work.:rolleyes:

Hmmm, is the phone storing numbers to the SIM card? I know with my phone, the SIM can only store 1 phone number per contact. If I store my contacts on the phone, then I can have more than one number per contact.

I don't know if it's storing on the SIM or not but when I launch the contacts app there's no way to add more phone numbers to individual names. There's only two slots, one titled "mobile" and the other "iphone". These new iPhone 4s use a smaller micro-SIM btw.

I think they try to use some address book standard -- I want to say vCard -- so that it syncs with the address book on your computer.

Tried a couple of games on the phone...MGS Touch Lite and RE4 Lite...pretty cool but not really liking the directional pad emulation on the touchscreen.

Contacts -> (Pick any contact) -> Click the edit button in the top right corner -> Change the phone label to "mobile, iPhone, home, work, main, home fax, work fax, pager or other" for any given phone number.

Quite easy actually.

Contacts -> (Pick any contact) -> Click the edit button in the top right corner -> Change the phone label to "mobile, iPhone, home, work, main, home fax, work fax, pager or other" for any given phone number.

Quite easy actually.

Ok that's a little better but it's still limted to 2 phone numbers. I would think a "smartphone" would be smart enough to have more than two phone numbers per contact as even my 5 yr old flip-phone can store 3 numbers/contact not to mention Call Reject list and BT file transfers from/to PCs and other non same brand phones. To be honest the more I think about it the more it sounds like the absence of a Call Reject feature built-in to the phone is likely due to ATT trying to nickel and dime their customers into adding the $5/month call block service.:rolleyes:

Just found another annoying thing. When receiving emails with attachments I cannot save some of the attachments even though the iPhone can easily read them. I can save it if it's a video attachment but I cannot save it if it's a Word doc.:rolleyes:

Just found another annoying thing. When receiving emails with attachments I cannot save some of the attachments even though the iPhone can easily read them. I can save it if it's a video attachment but I cannot save it if it's a Word doc.:rolleyes:

That one's annoying (jailbroken phones can save whatever you like).

IIRC - the trick was to forward the mail to yourself and the attachment gets saved in the sent messages folder. Assume this still works.

When you add the second number a space for a third appears, etc. You can add as many as you numbers to a contact as you like...

Ah ok I got it thanks.:D

Found an App called Discover for file transfers using WiFi but seems like it doesn't work with OS4. Anyone know of a good App for transferring files uising WiFi on the iPhone 4?

Isn't it already saved in your mail?

I am pretty sure you can even use the search function to locate the word document.

Isn't it already saved in your mail?

I am pretty sure you can even use the search function to locate the word document.
Yeah but it means I cannot delete the email. I prefer to be able to save the attachment separately so that I could do other things with the file and also delete the email. I'm posting this on my iPhone btw. The miniSafari browser is amazing.

Back