Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

The established precedent is that the Ti version of a GPU is faster than the same model without any prefix (vanilla).
And importantly, that the amount of VRAM on a GPU is not an indicator of performance relative to other GPUs with different VRAM.

One more reason there should be a "Technical Specs" info square on the box next to the model+memory if not in the front at the very least the back and not useless PR crap like this for example ( from this review article in case directly linking to the image gets broken)

edit: linked the image from the front of box when i wanted the back, corrected.

Last edited:
One more reason there should be a "Technical Specs" info square on the box next to the model+memory if not in the front at the very least the back and not useless PR crap like this for example ( from this review article in case directly linking to the image gets broken)
Agreed. Though I think the obvious next step for someone considering a gpu without any specs on the carton might be to use google. Most people these days buy online and are accustomed delving into what ever details they might find online.

Is your point that it’s ok to blatantly lie and mislead consumers because widely accepted naming conventions aren’t perfect?
Who's lying and where?

Really the naming conventions aren't that bad and seem to be fairly well understood. This is why NVIDIA can so effectively use those naming conventions against its customers.
In my 25 years in and looking at the industry I'm still yet to find even one "customer" who was successfully "deceived" by Nvidia (or anyone else's really) naming schemes.
I honestly think that people buying GPUs for their DIY PCs aren't as stupid as some of you paint them to be.

Who's lying and where?
nVidia about the 3060 8GB, have you not been reading the thread?

In my 25 years in and looking at the industry I'm still yet to find even one "customer" who was successfully "deceived" by Nvidia (or anyone else's really) naming schemes.
I honestly think that people buying GPUs for their DIY PCs aren't as stupid as some of you paint them to be.
I got an GF4 MX out in the garage I can easily prove you wrong with, I thought I was getting a real GF4 for a steal at the time.:yep2:

Plenty of people bought GeForce4 MXes thinking they were getting something decent. I knew some of them. It was very common to see a 4MX snuck into an otherwise good new computer, which is how all the people I knew ended up with them. Some of them gave up PC gaming forever after that, not really understanding why their new computer was so bad at running games. And it really was awefull compared to what you could get from an Xbox. I guess the lucky ones were those that had a GeForce 256 which ended up being supported for far longer than it would have otherwise. I’m pretty sure even Half Life 2 supported DX7.

The 3060 8GB naming (and more importantly box labeling) does seem problematic (to me) but the MX range was adequately distinguished from the mainline Pro/Ultra/Ti naming. There’s a suffix right there in the name and if someone can’t be bothered to look up what it means then they shouldn’t be making purchasing decisions for that category of product.

Putting GeForce4 in the name was purposely misleading, and it turned some people off from PC gaming altogether. Mind you most of the people I knew never fully realized why their PCs sucked. They just bought Xboxes. Which also had NVIDIA GPUs lol. At least it was a vastly superior GeForce3.

Putting GeForce4 in the name was purposely misleading, and it turned some people off from PC gaming altogether. Mind you most of the people I knew never fully realized why their PCs sucked. They just bought Xboxes. Which also had NVIDIA GPUs lol. At least it was a vastly superior GeForce3.
Are you kidding me? GeForce4 had two sub-brands, Ti and MX. Sub-brands which have historically consistent connotations. If a purchaser is unaware of those historical connotations then they need to look up the difference between them before buying one, because those jumble of letters do not convey any other semantic information. Your acquaintances' uninformed purchasing decision is theirs to own.

These MX analogies are ill-formed, distract from legitimate criticism of the 3060 8GB packaging/branding, and undermine any purported public-service motive in raising the issue.

Are you kidding me? GeForce4 had two sub-brands, Ti and MX. Sub-brands which have historically consistent connotations. If a purchaser is unaware of those historical connotations then they need to look up the difference between them before buying one, because those jumble of letters do not convey any other semantic information. Your acquaintances' uninformed purchasing decision is theirs to own.

These MX analogies are ill-formed, distract from legitimate criticism of the 3060 8GB packaging/branding, and undermine any purported public-service motive in raising the issue.
I think the issue was not the MX branding, but the fact the part was considered part of the GeForce 4 family, despite lacking programmable shaders.

I think the issue was not the MX branding, but the fact the part was considered part of the GeForce 4 family, despite lacking programmable shaders.
That distinction is arguably offensive to us geeks but clearly not to the uninformed purchasers on behalf of whom these posters are expressing proxy moral outrage.

And everyone, geek or not, should be accustomed to the distinction between product generations vs. tiers and the fact that there is often a non-trivial total ordering across the two axes. This applies to many products — cars, cameras, cellphones, you name it.

Precise criticism is the best way to gather support and empathy and to ultimately affect change.

That distinction is arguably offensive to us geeks but clearly not to the uninformed purchasers on behalf of whom these posters are expressing proxy moral outrage.

And everyone, geek or not, should be accustomed to the distinction between product generations vs. tiers and the fact that there is often a non-trivial total ordering across the two axes. This applies to many products — cars, cameras, cellphones, you name it.

Precise criticism is the best way to gather support and empathy and to ultimately affect change.
To me the "precise criticism" is that products within a given family name should share the same basic capabilities, otherwise the family name itself becomes ultimately meaningless.

To me the "precise criticism" is that products within a given family name should share the same basic capabilities, otherwise the family name itself becomes ultimately meaningless.

It’s common for GPUs but that’s not a universal expectation. For many products family name just means “released in the same year”. It definitely doesn’t guarantee the cheapest thing has all the features of the most expensive thing.

The MX labeling caused a lot of drama back then but is no where as bad as the 3060 8gb. The obfuscated performance drop is bad enough but the predatory pricing makes it that much worse.

It’s common for GPUs but that’s not a universal expectation. For many products family name just means “released in the same year”. It definitely doesn’t guarantee the cheapest thing has all the features of the most expensive thing.

The MX labeling caused a lot of drama back then but is no where as bad as the 3060 8gb. The obfuscated performance drop is bad enough but the predatory pricing makes it that much worse.
I was talking specifically about GPUs. GPUs from the same family are routinely not released in the same year, so if no product capabilities are intended to be communicated by the family name, it's essentially meaningless.

nVidia about the 3060 8GB, have you not been reading the thread?
3060 8GB is a new product name which is different enough from 3060 and 3060Ti for anyone willing to be able to see the difference.
Calling it 3050Ti or something wouldn't make much difference IMO.
But we're going in circles I feel.

I got an GF4 MX out in the garage I can easily prove you wrong with, I thought I was getting a real GF4 for a steal at the time.:yep2:
Well you should've read the reviews on what you were buying I guess? I doubt that you've bought it without seeing the "MX" written on the label, box, drivers, the card, etc.

3060 8GB is a new product name which is different enough from 3060 and 3060Ti for anyone willing to be able to see the difference.
The standardized, NVIDIA dictated portion of the package which includes product name has absolutely no differences between 3060 8GB and other 3060s. There's nothing new in the product name indicating different product, we just have the sense to differentiate them on the forum. Regular customers can't be expected to browse forums or even read reviews, they need to be able to make informed decisions based on product naming/packaging, which doesn't happen here.

The 3050 refuses to go down in price. The used price on eBay has been going up the past few weeks and is hovering around $220. The 50% faster 6600xt is going for less which is insane. Is the 3050 considered an entry level darling? I didn’t think it was that well loved.

The 3050 refuses to go down in price. The used price on eBay has been going up the past few weeks and is hovering around $220. The 50% faster 6600xt is going for less which is insane. Is the 3050 considered an entry level darling? I didn’t think it was that well loved.
People recommends it over 1660S/Ti and 2060 6GB, due to DLSS and 8GB VRAM. I think it has better NVENC encoder than 1660s aswell?

Back