Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

How does primitive culling with an odd numbers of polymorph engines work? E.g. 3070 with 46 SMs and 23 PMEs would be 11.5 culled/cycle (culling rate is half PMEs). Is that alternating between 11 and 12 or always rounded down?

How does primitive culling with an odd numbers of polymorph engines work? E.g. 3070 with 46 SMs and 23 PMEs would be 11.5 culled/cycle (culling rate is half PMEs). Is that alternating between 11 and 12 or always rounded down?
It would work if you do not think of 2 PMEs working together, but if you think of it as each PME taking multiple cycles to do it (count the necessary vertex fetches).

The 3050 refuses to go down in price. The used price on eBay has been going up the past few weeks and is hovering around $220. The 50% faster 6600xt is going for less which is insane. Is the 3050 considered an entry level darling? I didn’t think it was that well loved.
I was looking for a GPU in that range a couple of weeks back, and I think you can find 2060-supers for around $225 shipped, and 2070-supers for $270-ish.

What is the reason for GPU prices remaining stubbornly high? I was expecting a price crash due to the confluence of events in 2022. Cryptocrash and lifting of pandemic restrictions causing a glut in the supply chain and a flood of used cards hitting the market etc. But across the board NVIDIA cards (3000 series at least) are still above MSRP, and used prices are also terribly high.

What is the reason for GPU prices remaining stubbornly high? I was expecting a price crash due to the confluence of events in 2022. Cryptocrash and lifting of pandemic restrictions causing a glut in the supply chain and a flood of used cards hitting the market etc. But across the board NVIDIA cards (3000 series at least) are still above MSRP, and used prices are also terribly high.

Greed?

Always was. Crypro Crash, Covid, Supply Chain Issues, etc. were always second- and third-tier challenges disguised as the main culprit.

Greed?

Always was. Crypro Crash, Covid, Supply Chain Issues, etc. were always second- and third-tier challenges disguised as the main culprit.
I guess, but this isn't just a few retailers agreeing to fix prices. We're talking thousands upon thousands of individual miners, many of whom don't even share a common language. And yet none of them are trying to undercut the market price to get rid of their stock which is now effectively worthless to them, at a time when I assume many of them have recently lost their asses in the cryptocrash. Collusion at this scale under these conditions seems like it would be more difficult than faking the moon landing (and getting away with it).

I think it is somewhat region-dependent, I picked up a 3090 FTW3 Ultra for $580usd last week locally - it was only 6 months old, one of the new fixed revisions, and still has 2.5yrs of the EVGA factory warranty left.

3060Tis are down to the $250ish USD range here, and 3080s can be had as low as $450-470.

Last edited:

Same reason im seeing PS5's practically only available at over 800usd (bundles or not).

MSRPs. :p

Well that's for the new GPUs. For the old GPUs, it's probably how much they're charging the AIBs for the older stock, like possibly refusing to price it reasonably.
What about the used cards? A used 3060 goes for just under $300 while new ones are ~$360. $300 is barely below MSRP. Why are they holding so much value at a time when the market should be flooded by people who very much want to get rid of them?
Same reason im seeing PS5's practically only available at over 800usd (bundles or not).
What is the reason for that?

We enjoy commodity pricing on things like CPUs and RAM along with so many other incredible things that all of humanity couldn’t have produced 10 years ago. There was a huge supply crunch and demand spike which sent GPU prices through the roof, yet the GPU market is strangely immune to market forces when it comes time for prices to come back down. My bullshit detector is going off.

Last edited:
What is the reason for that?

No idea, availability, but that cant be it? Im looking at 7600kr as the only available option with 59 in stock, its the cheapest i can find, its a GoW/PS5 bundle. All others are not available, the only way to get a PS5 is to get a bundle with either one game (800 or so USD) or upwards. Now GoW may be quite a good console-exclusive, its not what most casual gamers are going to want a new playstation for (that be CoD etc).
Its just awfull, we are over two years into the generation, in PS4 terms close to the Pro. The cost of entry has practically doubled just to get the hardware alone and thats two years in. Not to forget higher prices for the games and PSN services aswell as controllers (and later a more expensive VR unit). So while GPU prices and all, its not the only gaming market where things have gotten more expensive.

Edit: Theres also a Fifa23 bundle at the same price. Also of note, these PS5's are laying on the shelfs in many stores across the country if the availability map is correct. People seem to be just not buying them, too pricey?
If you order online you get the unit next month (somewhere january 2023).

No idea, availability, but that cant be it? Im looking at 7600kr as the only available option with 59 in stock, its the cheapest i can find, its a GoW/PS5 bundle. All others are not available, the only way to get a PS5 is to get a bundle with either one game (800 or so USD) or upwards. Now GoW may be quite a good console-exclusive, its not what most casual gamers are going to want a new playstation for (that be CoD etc).
Its just awfull, we are over two years into the generation, in PS4 terms close to the Pro. The cost of entry has practically doubled just to get the hardware alone and thats two years in. Not to forget higher prices for the games and PSN services. So while GPU prices and all, its not the only gaming market where things have gotten more expensive.

Edit: Theres also a Fifa23 bundle at the same price. Also of note, these PS5's are laying on the shelfs in many stores across the country if the availability map is correct. People seem to be just not buying them, too pricey?
If you order online you get the unit next month (somewhere january 2023).

Yea this is bizarre. BTW I edited my post as you were replying. Not relevant to what you said but I feel bad when that happens.

What about the used cards? A used 3060 goes for just under $300 while new ones are ~$360. $300 is barely below MSRP. Why are they holding so much value at a time when the market should be flooded by people who very much want to get rid of them?
The obvious answer is "there are people who buy them at such prices". It is also very possible that those who sell them don't see any reason to dump the cards at any price because - why? They've made money on them and it's not like they are in any hurry to get rid of them now.

The obvious answer is "there are people who buy them at such prices". It is also very possible that those who sell them don't see any reason to dump the cards at any price because - why? They've made money on them and it's not like they are in any hurry to get rid of them now.
I guess. Are they really selling sufficiently at these prices? Miners must have bazillions of them, and they need to sell quickly because old used PC hardware depreciates quickly. I see every reason for miners to be motivated to sell them as quickly as possible. Especially if you consider the cards were purely an investment and are now sunk costs. Why would they choose to not sell a card for $300 when they could get $200 right now?

Despite the reports Nvidia must be selling enough GPUs to warrant the high prices. Only explanation if prices remain this high.

Are they really selling sufficiently at these prices?
Who are "they"? Second hand market doesn't care about sufficient sales. Nvidia and its partners are selling the cards at MSRP prices, and since there are no drops on the MSRP you can only assume that either they can't drop the price or they are fine with how the cards are selling at current prices.

I see every reason for miners to be motivated to sell them as quickly as possible.
Not really. With GPU mining being all but dead there are no reasons to rush to sell of the old h/w.

Who are "they"? Second hand market doesn't care about sufficient sales. Nvidia and its partners are selling the cards at MSRP prices, and since there are no drops on the MSRP you can only assume that either they can't drop the price or they are fine with how the cards are selling at current prices.
OR - they're just being super stubborn, hoping to wear people down into accepting it and making it the new normal.

OR - they're just being super stubborn, hoping to wear people down into accepting it and making it the new normal.
They get nothing from "being super stubborn". The idea is to sell products to make a profit. If the product doesn't sell you don't make anything. If you've priced the product in a way where you get no profit from selling it you're also doing it wrong. The whole idea of both AMD and Nvidia being "greedy" is stupid beyond belief.

They get nothing from "being super stubborn". The idea is to sell products to make a profit. If the product doesn't sell you don't make anything. If you've priced the product in a way where you get no profit from selling it you're also doing it wrong. The whole idea of both AMD and Nvidia being "greedy" is stupid beyond belief.
I agree with your sentiment, but just to add some precision -- I don't think @Seanspeed (and others) are accusing them of being "greedy". After all, corporations do want to maximize profit, there's nothing wrong with that. I think the accusation is that they are acting against their own long-term self-interest (i.e., they are not maximizing profit) out of hubris, short-sightedness, stubbornness or some other mix of human emotions that is preventing them from employing the mathematically optimal long-term business strategy.

Is that possible? Sure, but I'd say that it's unlikely. I'm not saying that companies don't suffer from hubris, but it's generally well-moderated in the boardroom of public corporations, *especially* in a harsh macroeconomic climate. Instead, it's far more likely that they are making calculated bets within the constraints that they have to work with (cost, partner relationships, etc.). Those bets may or may not pay off, because nobody can control or even predict macroeconomic trends. But they make decisions based on the information they have available and it's the best they can do.

Back