Nvidia shows signs in [2020]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by pharma, Jan 23, 2020.

1. pharma

Veteran Regular

VMWARE EMBRACES NVIDIA GPUS, DPUS TO DRIVE ENTERPRISE AI
    September 30, 2020

https://www.nextplatform.com/2020/09/30/vmware-embraces-nvidia-gpus-to-drive-enterprise-ai/

Lightman likes this.
  2. pharma

Veteran Regular

NVIDIA Introduces BlueField DPUs to Bring Performance to Every Data Center
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...o-bring-performance-to-every-data-center.html

#62 pharma, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Lightman and Malo like this.
  3. pharma

Veteran Regular

Edge AI gets edgier
    Futuristic communication
    https://www.eetimes.com/nvidia-presents-the-dpu-a-new-type-of-data-center-processor/#

#63 pharma, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Lightman likes this.
  4. pharma

Veteran Regular

Nvidia and EuroHPC Team for Four Supercomputers, Including Massive ‘Leonardo’ System
    https://www.hpcwire.com/2020/10/15/...rcomputers-including-massive-leonardo-system/

Lightman likes this.
  5. pharma

Veteran Regular

Hyundai, Nvidia expand ties for connected cars
    November 10, 2020
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2020/11/419_299084.html

Lightman likes this.
  6. pharma

Veteran Regular

Nvidia sales and earnings hit records as videogame and server chips surge
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...-videogame-and-server-chips-surge-11605735691

Lightman, trinibwoy and sonen like this.
  7. Erinyes

Regular

So Nvidia had a record quarter with and record gaming revenue and they're also projecting similar revenues for the upcoming quarter. So where are the Ampere cards in the market? Is it just simply a matter of extreme demand outstripping supply? Several retailers and AIBs have said otherwise but then where is the revenue coming from? A significant number of lower end Turing GPUs and mobile GPUs perhaps?

8. DegustatoR

Veteran

Ding ding ding

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Extreme demand is there, but it is by no means normal that a major retailer serving several countries (all of the nordics, germany, poland, austria) had received two months after the sales began only 901 cards of over 9300 they had ordered from manufacturers (3080, the others numbers aren't really much prettier than that)
    https://www.proshop.de/RTX-30series-overview

It's not only extreme demand, lack of proper supply is a big portion of it.

Rootax likes this.
  10. DegustatoR

Veteran

I agree, extreme demand is by no means normal.
    There are no other explanation left.
    There is no revenue fall off in the last quarter results. It has actually increased substantially in both Q/Q and Y/Y. And this cannot be attributed to anything but Ampere launch.
    AMD is experiencing the exact same issues with Zen3 and N21 which means that there are no problems with Samsung production or G6X availability.
    Sorry but all these theories are pure bs. It's just extreme demand of this weird year.

11. pharma

Veteran Regular

Video card inventories were sufficient to meet and sustain a 37% quarterly revenue increase in booked video card sales, so Nvidia exceeded it's inventory objectives for the quarter.
    Sounds like Nvidia had a lot more small to medium sized e-retailers selling cards than in the past (perhaps due to Covid-19). Only very extreme demand could create conditions where low inventory levels and record breaking revenues are at loggerheads. Good news is adjusted 4th quarter forecast indicates inventory levels on pace to shortly meet extreme demand.

12. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Don't cut the rest out, as you very well know your quote doesn't represent what I said.
    Extreme demand doesn't explain lack of supply no matter how many times you try to repeat it.
    Shipping 900 cards in 2 months to a major retailer, who has ordered over 9300 cards is lack of supply no matter how the demand is.

AMDs problems can be same, or they can be different, it all depends on how the supply looks. We currently don't know solid numbers on AMDs Zen 3 supply (I do however know, that at least biggest finnish player in the field had more of them than RTX 3080's on launch). RX 6800 -supply is limited like RTX 30 for reference, but it might correct itself* in a week if rumors are correct (they're talking shipments around 6-7 times bigger than RTX 30 for AIB models)

*correcting itself doesn't mean they still wouldn't sell out

BRiT likes this.
  13. DegustatoR

Veteran

I will cut out whatever I want when I see someone spreading FUD.

Extreme demand explains the lack of availability, and you know nothing about the supply beyond some spreadsheet from a couple of regional retailers.
    The only real way of assessing overall supply volume is the revenue results since this is money which the seller gets from shipping the product.
    You have them now. I see nothing to discuss here further.

Oh, would you look at that, suddenly we don't know this for AMD but know for Nvidia.
    Stop being a tool.

Sorry for breaking the silence, will go back into it again.

xpea and pharma like this.
  14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

We know of NVIDIA because we have major retailer who has given us solid data on supply.
    We do not know of AMD because we do not have any retailer who would have given us any data on supply.

I have provided data to back my claims, you haven't.

15. DegustatoR

Veteran

Sigh.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen-5000-faqs

Lightman likes this.
  16. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Thank you, now you've provided data to give your claims on AMD CPU supply something to stand on. (And I really wasn't aware of that even though I've been trying to follow these supply issues)
    Looks like Ryzen 5000 is suffering from similar supply issues unless those "TBC" amounts turn out to be huge, since Scan probably has ordered a lot more than they've gotten. Now we just need to wait for RX6800 data and how the AIB-launch next week affects that.

17. Erinyes

Regular

Misattributing quotes still provides no data to back up your claims. Certainly there is some Ampere revenue, no one's disputing that. But there is also ample evidence of the lack of supply. Can you state for a fact that Turing revenue did not in fact go up? No, you can't. Ampere offers nothing below the $500 price point where allegedly the most GPU sales happen, nor laptops, which also constitute a large part of GPU sales today.

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

We’re sorta pissing into the wind with supply speculation. Nobody knows what’s happening with supply except AMD and Nvidia.

I randomly scored a 5950x at Microcenter the other day. They had just put about 10 boxes on the shelf a few mins before I walked in. They also never updated the website to show the store had stock. I wouldn’t place too much faith in numbers from any retailer.

Now that we know Nvidia is still making money hand over fist the answer is that they must be selling a boat load of Turings. I’m sure that’s true but it says nothing about Ampere’s numbers. Why is it so hard for people to accept that we just don’t know.

Lightman likes this.
  19. pharma

Veteran Regular

Talk about pissing in the wind. :runaway: The only valid information is what retailers mention as unprecedented demand for Ampere. Prices for Turing products on Newegg and Amazon really have not dropped that much to justify purchases over Ampere products, and 2nd hand sales don't contribute to Nvidia's bottom line.

#79 pharma, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  20. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I grabbed an Asus 3070 Dual OC from ebuyer, a lesser known retailer that is mostly used by small and medium companies to buy equipment of. They seem to be getting some stock everyday from a month after RTX3080 release. They don't do queues though, so potential buyers better keep refreshing the page. That's how I got mine.

Additionally, it seems that German shops have frequent supply, judging by several OCUK customers that cancelled their order and got them from Germany.

Lightman and pharma like this.