Nvidia's Cuda gets on a video-editing roll

NEXT IN LINE to give kudos to Cuda, digital video and audio software firm, Cyberlink, has announced it's working with Nvidia to make faster HD video editing software available, by using the GPU.

Cyberlink says that by making use of Nvidia’s Cuda technology, it can now provide much speedier video rendering performance and let users mess around with all kinds of visual video effects, including Gaussian radial blur and pen ink.

Alice H. Chang, CyberLink’s CEO, gushed “We are very pleased with the accelerated performance we're achieving using Nvidia's Cuda”.

This latest announcement comes just days after Adobe announced its new version of Creative Suite 4 would be supported and accelerated natively on a GPU, and Nvidia’s announcement of a strategic partnership with another video software application firm, Motion DSP, in which it has also bought a stake.

“Adding advanced video effects that simplify and enhance the creative experience requires a tremendous amount of raw processing power” noted Michael Steele, Nvidia’s General Manager of Visual Consumer Solutions.

What we want to know is if Nvidia is using the same swindle its using with Adobe’s Premiere Pro, with the acceleration working only on Quadro graphics cards and not on regular, firmware un-altered, Geforce GPUs, which, surprise, surprise, cost less.

News Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/26/nvidia-cuda-video-editing-roll

More here: Nvidia sheds some flash light on Adobe CS4

Hmm... isn't Cyberlink's PowerDirector 7 going to feature ATI's AVT GPU transcoding?

Of them all, only RapiHD is really enticing.

TMPGEnc is using CUDA for filters now (which makes plenty of sense, considering they're basically just intense convolutions so CUDA is a really good fit if you can amortize PCIe transfers). CUDA's really good at image processing.

Not that one. They said PowerDirector 7 is going to support ATI hardware too. It's on the HD4800 features list. And they demo it like a few months ago. But it looks like NV beat ATI to it. At this point I really regret going with ATI. I bought solely for this, not really for gaming. I thought it was working when they mentioned it on the features list but I was mistaken.

The patch will come if not this year probably next year.

Not that one. They said PowerDirector 7 is going to support ATI hardware too. It's on the HD4800 features list. And they demo it like a few months ago. But it looks like NV beat ATI to it. At this point I really regret going with ATI. I bought solely for this, not really for gaming. I thought it was working when they mentioned it on the features list but I was mistaken.

The patch will come if not this year probably next year.

just in from DAAMIT,

Hi,

PowerDirector 7 will have a refresh in Q3 2008 to enable AMD's Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT). I’ve been told by the team here in Markham that Cyberlink is about to put out a press release on this.

We offload any stage that can be parallelized to the GPU. We encode to MPEG-2 HD/SD (Blu-ray/DVD authoring, etc.) and H.264 HD/SD/Lower res (Blu-ray/File/Portable device).

On the source format, it depends on the application; I would recommend that you contact Cyberlink for this information.

Cheers

So It's Cyberlinks fault that th version is not out.

Not that one. They said PowerDirector 7 is going to support ATI hardware too. It's on the HD4800 features list. And they demo it like a few months ago. But it looks like NV beat ATI to it.
AFAIK this is being used for visual effect, not Transcoding.

Back