Nvidia shows signs in [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharma

Legend
Matrox to Develop Embedded Graphics Cards with NVIDIA, Solutions Purpose-Built for Next-Generation Video Walls
Matrox® today announced a collaboration with NVIDIA for the development of a new range of multi-display embedded graphics cards purpose-built for high-density video walls. Leveraging NVIDIA’s industry-renowned GPU technology, Matrox will design graphics innovations powered by a custom-built Quadro® embedded GPU to accelerate graphics-intensive video wall applications in commercial and 24/7 critical environments.
matrox-nvidia-graphic-cards_preview.jpg

https://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/releases/2020/nvidia-partnership-graphics-cards-video-walls

That's interesting. Didn't Matrox use to collaborate with AMD exclusively?
They did use GCN for quite a long time before this, but they did carry some models with their own old chips too at the time, I think

They did use GCN for quite a long time before this, but they did carry some models with their own old chips too at the time, I think
I am quite glad they are back. My Matrox G400 32 MAX was one of my favourite GPUs ever. Not the best but it was a different take. Still not as fast as the Voodoos.

I am quite glad they are back. My Matrox G400 32 MAX was one of my favourite GPUs ever. Not the best but it was a different take. Still not as fast as the Voodoos.
They're not "back" in any form that consumers would care about. They've always been around doing specialized display tech for commercial purposes and this is a continuation of that.

As Malo pointed out, they're not back any more than they were with their GCN-based cards

Nvidia’s GeForce Now is finally out of beta, challenges Google Stadia at $5 a month
February 4, 2020

Today, the company’s finally ready to let North America and Europe sign up to pay for its GeForce Now service, starting at $5 a month, while also offering unlimited one-hour free trials that don’t even require a credit card.

The idea might sound familiar if you’ve heard of Google’s Stadia service, Sony’s PlayStation Now, Microsoft’s upcoming xCloud, or even Nvidia’s GeForce Now. (It’s been in beta for years and years, and also had a false start.) Each service operates on the same basic principle: delivering games much the same way you can stream a YouTube or Netflix video right now.
Unlike Google, Sony, and Microsoft’s offerings, Nvidia has a very different pitch. It’s your existing library of PC games that you can now play anywhere, instead of having to buy new games and / or subscribe to a Netflix-like catalog. Nvidia supports Steam, the Epic Games Store, Battle.net, and Uplay, and it runs instances of each for you in the cloud. You can log into your accounts, download many of your existing purchases near-instantly to your cloud desktop, sync your old save games, and pick up where you left off in a couple of minutes at most — no patches necessary.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/4/21121996/nvidia-geforce-now-2-0-out-of-beta-rtx

This is a very sensible launch from Nvidia. Given the skepticism around cloud gaming the free option is the easiest way to gain early market share and drive adoption.

Renting the hardware and letting people buy the games separately is also a very smart move. Why would anyone pay full price for a game that’s locked to a single cloud provider’s platform?

Based on the same data source in the form of publicly viewable Mindfactory sales figures, the same is now to be created for consumer graphics cards - a graphics card sales report for the retail segment. The following is a breakdown of how many consumer graphics cards were sold via Mindfactory in January 2020, what sales were achieved with them - and how this is distributed among the individual market segments and the two chip providers AMD & nVidia.

Mindfactory-Graphics-Cards-Sales-Report-January-2020.png

http://www.3dcenter.org/news/neuer-artikel-mindfactory-grafikkarten-verkaufsreport-januar-2020&usg=ALkJrhjIC7AtXdYdoQbDOSqNQWNJlbIHJQ

Since this is the latest discussion about marketshares:
Jon Peddie's Q4/19 numbers are out, changes QtQ
All GPUs: AMD 19 % (+3), Intel 63 % (-2), NVIDIA 18 % (-1)
Discrete GPUs: AMD 27 % (+3), NVIDIA 73 % (-3)
Add-in Boards: AMD 31.08 % (+4), NVIDIA 68.92 % (-4)

Sources: https://www.jonpeddie.com/store/add-in-board-report-q419 https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rel...al-gpu-shipments-in-q419-reports-jon-peddie-r

(late edit: fixed -3 > -4)

Last edited:
If they are revealing Data Center Ampere, they won't cancel ..
At minimum there will be heavy restrictions who can attend, but there's high chance of just cancelling it too. Especially professional products don't really need to be released in public event, invitational or not, to bolster their sales.

They likely could also rely more heavily on a podcast "internet" reveal for the Ampere products. They could also do live podcast/teleconferences for the discussion sessions since participants would already be away from work and only need internet access from wherever they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back