Matrox Chooses AMD GPU

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/releases/2014/graphics_cards/amd/

Matrox Chooses AMD GPU for Next Generation Multi-display Graphics Cards

Collaboration benefits professional users by bringing together legendary Matrox graphics board design expertise and outstanding AMD GPU performance

MONTREAL — Sept. 03, 2014 — Matrox® Graphics Inc. today announced that its next line of multi-display graphics cards will be based on AMD™ (NYSE: AMD) GPUs and their corresponding professional grade display drivers. Leveraging over 35 years of experience in board design and manufacturing, Matrox will expand and complement its line of PCI Express®-compliant graphics cards for demanding commercial applications. The soon-to-be-launched product line will enable unique features that solve real-world problems in enterprise, industrial, pro A/V, digital signage, security, command and control, and other professional applications. Matrox customers will continue to benefit from the exceptional stability, usability and versatility enabled by Matrox PowerDesk™ desktop management software, which will be integrated to work seamlessly with AMD’s professional display drivers.

I guess there'll be no more Parhelia chips :(

Ah yes, I still have fond memories of my Matrox G400 Max.

I was always secretly hoping for them to recover and being able to make a comeback in high-end graphics once more.

Amazing they're still in business. I suppose their business focus somehow managed to let them keep their nose above water...

The device description matches Cape Verde.

Is Matrox going to run with the drivers AMD puts out, or will there be some level of codevelopment between their software and AMD's driver?
Alternately, is their presence reduced enough that they've opted to take what AMD gives them.

Is Matrox going to run with the drivers AMD puts out, or will there be some level of codevelopment between their software and AMD's driver?

I suppose it entirely depends over which platform they run their system - either a strongly customized one, or embedded (in all cases, likely some sort of *nix).

Not all the people needs the DX grease, and all the madness than came with longhorn & co.
Maybe they can just go with their own driver, starting from AMD ones, if they got at least some access to the codebase (which is imho likely given they look like to sell custom embedded stuff).

Anyway, I dont see all the negatives about AMD drivers... at least they didnt fry GPUs... ...almost.

I read that part of the quote, but I was curious as to whether there was some level of feedback such that the quality of both sides improves as a result.

They are taking the FirePro driver set, not the consumer. There is a different QA cycle and SLA on FirePro.

Ah yes, I still have fond memories of my Matrox G400 Max.

I was always secretly hoping for them to recover and being able to make a comeback in high-end graphics once more.
That was Matrox at their peak, I think? I had the "normal" Matrox G400 with 32MB of RAM back in 1999-2000. I really wanted the G400 MAX but I had purchased the Voodoo 3 2000 PCI too, and I was on a budget. Told my experiences with the G400 in the DF Retro thread -console technology section-, not to repeat myself.

That was Matrox at their peak, I think? I had the "normal" Matrox G400 with 32MB of RAM back in 1999-2000. I really wanted the G400 MAX but I had purchased the Voodoo 3 2000 PCI too, and I was on a budget. Told my experiences with the G400 in the DF Retro thread -console technology section-, not to repeat myself.

Cyan, are you so bored as a recent PC-Gamer Convert that you feel the need to respond to 3 year old threads?

can anyone find some actual reviews for these cards? My google and youtube searches only came up with ads but no reviews.

I mean... something like C900... it´s a graphics card! I want to read about it :)

Im not expecting stellar performance or anything but some kind of game benchmark would be interesting curiosity even if that is not what these are meant for at all.

Back