NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Geo, Jul 2, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

3. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

And painfully true.

Heck, they could've added a second little bump called EU and the rest of the cartoon would still work.

4. Mintmaster

Veteran

:lol: Brilliant!

5. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

What about "in 10 years, we'll be bigger then Marvel&Disney / DC Comics etc. etc."

6. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

7. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

How did you get the comments to show up there? Just curious. I was looking at other companies ((Sony/Intel/AMD)) and I could only see the first comments.

8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

You can only read so many comments; now it says for me "Your full preview has ended... Post your anonymous review for free access to all reviews." and I only see the first ones, but could check out AMD, nVidia and Intel before it did this; removing cookies and/or changing IP would probably give new timer to read 'em

9. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

i onyl read the first 10 but they all basiclly say the exact same thing, i woner how many of the 87 say similar things. Could be a big issue for them going forward.

that said i would have to read the AMD/INTEL comments to see if thats the common denomitator type of message or to see here or if NV is really worse then its direct compeditors in this regard.

10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

A site like that would have a pretty strong selection bias for disgruntled or unhappy workers. I'm at a firm that's ranked as one of the best places to work in the world but I can name people who would say similiar things due to issues in their specific situation - their project, team, boss, compensation etc, etc.

But if Nvidia's corporate culture is that weak/shallow then it's a big problem. Nobody on that site expressed any sort of pride in the products or the work that they're doing. Recipe for disaster in the long run IMO.

11. rpg.314

Veteran

Well, if every one comes in and says the same things over and over again, ie too much work, not much reward, then what is written there is likely to be closer to truth than rants.

12. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I think the big problem is that as one of the comments pointed out, that Nvidia is the sort of company that is only as good as the talents of it's people. What it makes comes out of the heads of it's staff, and if you can't attract or keep good people because you treat them so badly, then Nvidia has a long term problem.

A lot of those comments do explain the base reasons why Nvidia has been failing to execute. This kind of overwork, ass-covering, people leaving, management problems will cause these kinds of issues when things don't go perfectly. I'm sure any of us that have been in IT or engineering projects have experienced some of these failures in our own working life.

Having said that, a lot of those comments are the sort of things you hear from people in a lot of other companies. That doesn't mean that Nvidia doesn't have problems, just that they have the same issues as a lot of of other companies. However, these other companies are not world-leading companies who should really do better by their staff.

13. Sxotty

Veteran

How do they ensure that only recent/current employees post reviews?

<-- that was from their front page and sounds like the rant of a person on a message board. "soleless, not souless" and so on.

14. Tchock

Regular

DAAMIT workers seem to be lamenting on AMD's inability to execute, I guess mostly on the CPU side, but also the GPU side- perhaps management inertia is too heavy to take more risks. Oh, and on employee benefits and compensation, lots of complaining about money.

But I've not seen DAAMIT get called "mean" in the reviews. Mean. People at least seem to have a semblance of happiness there, iunno. No mentions of sweatshop, dumb execution machines, etc.

I thought NVDA had quite a good internal culture being flat (which DAAMIT clearly wasn't circa 07/08) but what happened?

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to raise that question. The site actually solicits "anonymous" reviews after the trial preview is over.

16. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

I saw an nvidia employee actually call DiRT2 a "DX11 Failure" on twitter, does that mean their DX11 products are some way out?

17. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

That depends on whether AVP is a "DX11 Failure" too :lol:

18. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yeah, and a lot further out than they would like you to believe. Only Nvidia would start name-calling on individual software titles because they show up the lack of a Nvidia DX11 part. You don't see AMD or Intel rubbishing software because they haven't got a part ready. All we need is a DX11 Futuremark and Nvidia can throw it's toys out of the pram properly and start calling DX11 something against nature, and anyone who codes for it some kind of baby-eating Satan worshipper. :roll:

19. Sxotty

Veteran

Actually I seem to recall complaints aplenty about titles being optimized for Nvidia hardware.

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Where did you see AMD staff calling specific games "failed" because AMD didn't have hardware for an industry standard API?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.