NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Geo, Jul 2, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

don't worry, I 'm saving their quotes, It's always nice to see marketing people facing their own BS a couple of months down the road..

What nvidia actually means is that it probably doesn't have good 3D vision support and/or PhysX, it's an inferior product. It will be even more fun if it shows up in their review guide a couple of months down the road.

2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Oh is that what you're nitpicking over? Sure, CS itself is just a programming API so you can code whatever you like to your heart's content. In that respect DX11 (via CS) opens up a world of possibilities. You could also argue that they could bypass the DX11 API altogether and code their pipeline directly in CS. But the potential isn't particularly relevant, it's what developers actually do that matters.

Right now, it looks like tessellation and image processing are the focal points and they are the subtle effects I was referring to. All better now?

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

4. Tahir2

Veteran

And what a load of sensationalist claptrap that article was. Very surprising considering the author - subpar for Anand.

5. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

What did you find objectionable about the article?

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I found it an interesting assessment, what didn't you care for about it?

7. Tahir2

Veteran

The belief that Tegra is the future of NVIDIA where it is and has always been the discrete GPU market. NVIDIA is not and will not give that up.

It always it the same, over reaction and doom and gloom should either AMD or NVIDIA fail at its execution, significant or otherwise. As we all have experienced, AMD/ATI survived and came out stronger after the R600 and likewise NVIDIA after NV30.

A company like NVIDIA will re-strategise, re-architect and re-focus its engineering priorities whenever it comes across a significant hurdle as it has done now.

It seems impossible, even now, that NVIDIA would exit the "PC business entirely." That NVIDIA will be no NVIDIA.

8. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah I agree with that. Making predictions of the future of a company based on a lag of a few months in one product cycle is rather shortsighted for someone following the industry so long. AMD has had no answer for Nehalem for over a year yet you don't hear predictions of them leaving the desktop CPU business. Much of the doom and gloom is narrowminded sensationalism.

There's a lot more meat to the predictions of the death of Nvidia chipsets and of course their push into new markets is obvious - no speculation required there.

9. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Nvidia partners in trouble

10. Magnum_Force

Newcomer

BFG or EVGA, it's gotta be, can't think of anyone else whom would make so much money from there High end.

Damn shame too because BFG was one of the good reasons to buy an Nvidia card.

11. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

BFG has been in a less than rosy situation for years (this is not connected to whatever Fuad decided to blabber about by the way, just an observation).

12. Groo The Wanderer

Regular

One of my guys has been following this, but we haven't confirmed it yet. I know the source of the info, so I am insisting on a confirmation before I write. It is one of those two though.

-Charlie

13. rjc

rjc
    Regular

Cringely: Intel will Buy nVIDIA:

Reading the article the logic for the action didnt come off the best, the last couple of paragraphs the author seemed to be having doubts about the idea himself.

Jon Peddie: Intel will never buy Nvidia

The above article is obviously off the cuff, but has much better quotes and logic.

#1873 rjc, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  14. rpg.314

Veteran

The guy is a total nut-job.
    :cool:

15. rpg.314

Veteran

Considering the size of Intel and recent shouting match b/w intel and nv, I'd say amd/nv merger seems more likely than intel buying nv. :smile:

16. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

lol, add Intel and nvidia's GPU marketshare up, and you already get over 75% without a single Larrabee.
    plus you end up with the only entity that makes every kind of GPU, from mobile space to IGP to discrete graphics to HPC.
    (I count nvidia's ION as their last IGP. a GT21x IGP for am3 motherboards is nowhere to be found apparently)

17. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

ROFL I just saw that one and it had me rolling on the floor.

18. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I just wanted to thank you for this post, it cracked me up hard! :lol:

I'm agreeing more with Peddie than with the crazy guy, I just can't see JHH selling to anyone.

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Heh, not exactly a good reasoning considering the shouting match between Nvidia and 3dfx just prior to 3dfx being bought up by Nvidia. :)

That said, it'll be a cold day in hell before Intel buys Nvidia, IMO. Then again we have been on a 10 year global cooling trend now, hmmmm...

Regards,
    SB

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Nvidia didn't really buy 3DFX. They waited until 3DFX was dead and then picked over it's corpse. Nvidia never had to try and merge two companies as going concerns.

I don't think so either, not with the current boards of directors. It would be like putting two snakes in the same bag. I just don't see them as being any kind of fit at all, especially given the way Intel wants to eat Nvidia's lunch with a CPU-centric product. The two companies are trying to come at the same problem from opposite sides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.